PDA

View Full Version : OT- How long do you expect to live after retirement?

C5 Snowboarder
03-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Many posts about age, retirement, job, working, not working, how long one has worked and so and so on.. So my question to you is how long do you think you will live once you retire? For me @ 60 yr old I need to plan for 35 more good years since my parents both made it past 90. It is a tough choice to decide how much money one needs to live for 35 years in retirement. How about you - what is your plan?

Kevan
03-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Lotto.

bironi
03-24-2007, 05:46 PM
expect? I am happy to make it this far. My dad had his first heart attack at 37. You might expect to be hit by a semi the day that you retire, but hey, life does not start after retirement.

Sorry, but life is not predictable. :beer:

yeehawfactor
03-24-2007, 06:11 PM
the ambrosia diet is working wonders for me

thejen12
03-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I plan to retire between 50 and 55, and live a whole 'nother adult-hood (to 90+). I may or may not be employed again after that time, but it would have to be doing something I really love/believe in, where I could be closer to the end result than in my current job. More likely, I'll be a volunteer.

I do enjoy my current job, but it's just one part of my life - not my identity.

I've been saving for retirement since I graduated from college, so I'm not too worried. DH shares that view and is also a net saver. So far we seem on track.

Jenn

Xyzzy
03-24-2007, 06:54 PM
I plan to live forever. So far so good.

Going on 11 years in July. Strange that I work much harder now than when I was working. *** is up with that?

Bill Bove
03-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Retire :confused: I own a bike shop, no retirement there :crap: My plans for retirement, paper or plastic ma'm

bironi
03-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Retire :confused: I own a bike shop, no retirement there :crap: My plans for retirement, paper or plastic ma'm

Or as my wife says to her children, "an appliance box will do".

obtuse
03-24-2007, 10:03 PM
i'm hoping i'll live for 3mm after retirement. it ain't much but it's something.

obtuse

mflaherty37
03-24-2007, 10:19 PM
I think if I'd retire now, at 34, I could make it 15 more years. I'm already taking so much she*te!

Tom
03-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Well, not all of it.

I'll need enough left for one shotgun and one shell.

onekgguy
03-24-2007, 11:15 PM
wow...retirement! actually, i'm eligible at the end of this week!! but...i'm really not in a hurry to rush through this phase of my life. i work with so many people who can't wait to reach retirement. i have to ask them what it is about their lives now that they're so willing to wish away just so they don't have to show up at work. i've got my wife, daughter, great job and my health...what's the hurry? slow down and enjoy each day as it unfolds.

Kevin g

dave thompson
03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm going to live to be the world's oldest teen-ager; 119!

keno
03-25-2007, 06:45 AM
At least six years.

flydhest has promised to support me until the end, but as Ahneida Ride has told us, given fly's empoyer that ain't much of a promise.

keno

Kevin
03-25-2007, 06:51 AM
My plan: retire before 50, die after 90, and have a lot of fun in between.

Kevin

Ray
03-25-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm 47. I quit my job a couple of years ago, did nothing for about 8 months, then started my own consulting operation. Now in my second year, I realize I can make too much money by working a similar amount as I used to, good money by working less, and enough money working waaaay less. The 8 months I was doing nothing weren't a very healthy feeling time. And I couldn't go on indefinitely without making some money. The first couple of months were great for a badly needed decompression but then it got pretty boring not having something to apply myself to.

I like what I do and now that I more or less control my schedule and work flow, I don't see any reason I'd want to stop completely. I can see myself going through periods of hard work, medium work, and little work. Probably ever decreasing amounts overall until I'll just keep a hand in when (and if) I get old. But I suspect even then, it'll be good to stay involved on some minimal level.

Have I already retired? Will I ever? Seems like a silly term to me these days. A lot of you who are working hard and see a light at the end of the tunnell may be surprised at how much you need something to apply yourself to after a few months of not working.

-Ray

Bruce K
03-25-2007, 09:53 AM
As I have technically been retired for the last 6 days and I am not quite 54.

I am actually working on a change of careers after 28 years in the family business and am exploring what I need to do to to be licensed in Massachusetts to be able to teach elementary school mathematics for the next 8 to 10 years.

BK

Bill Bove
03-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Shine a flashlight into your left ear. If you see light coming out the right ear you are qualified to teach in Florida :banana:

Or run for office as a republican :banana: :banana:

bigbill
03-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I am in the military and haven't decided yet. I have 22 years and have committed to 25, but I could to 40 if I wanted. I could retire at age 60 and start a second career. I am sure that I could get some riding in between the time I take my crossing guard vest off in the morning until I put it back on in the afternoon.

As far as how long I expect to live, I expect to live into my ninetys. That is 23 in ATMO years.

Ti Designs
03-25-2007, 04:29 PM
My death certificate says I died on 12/5/90. It's 3/25/07 and I'm still working. The math has me all confused.

dbrk
03-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I honestly doubt I will be able to retire but the good news is that the University can't make me...I suppose that's good news. I have saved prudently in the retirement program allll these years and, at 50 this summer, I suppose I would have 15 more. But I look at my kids, the years left on the mortgage, and, well, I suppose I could have chosen another profession but no complaints: I would do my work whether or not I was retired. But I don't know one college professor---not one---who wouldn't like to retire from grading papers. So my answer is zero. If I could, I'd do it tomorrow. Last I looked, the Illiad and Sappho are still in Greek, most of Abhinavagupta is still in untranslated Sanskrit, and I've never finished War and Peace. I'd be plenty busy when I wasn't riding my bike.

dbrk

ChrisK
03-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I retired at 42 when I sold my last company. Retirement is boring. We traveled and wined and dined and that was good for about two years, then we were bored for four more. Now I've started VO and I'm 49. I hope I can start at least two more companies or foundations or something before I croak. For me it's about having fun, not retiring. And fun is starting stuff and building it up, once it's mature anyone can run it.

LesMiner
03-25-2007, 07:06 PM
People live so much longer now and are healthier as well. 30 to 35 years ago many retirement plans paid out 9 monthly payments on average. Which means people on average only lived 9 months in retirement.

Right now most corporartions are having a hard time filling professional and mangement positions. So the opportunity will probably be there to continue to work. The law says you are allowed to work to 70 and it is likely people will work longer. My plan is to work as long as it makes sense.

saab2000
03-25-2007, 07:15 PM
I can't imagine retirement. Airline pilots are right now forced to retire at 60, but that may change to 65 soon.

Depending on my financial situation, I would love to retire to Switzerland. Maybe a house in Wisconsin or Minnesota and a house in the Alps too.

How 'bout that!

But things had better come around financially sooner rather than later.

Chief
03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
At 69 I hope to live as many years as possible. I'm grateful to be able to do what I want. :banana: I retired 7-1/2 years ago and have never regretted it. It is like being a kid again except there is no one telling you what to do. However, I still do some consulting to keep the ole noodle mentally fit just as biking keeps the body physically fit. "Its a great life, isn't it..."

flydhest
03-26-2007, 07:51 AM
At least six years.

flydhest has promised to support me until the end, but as Ahneida Ride has told us, given fly's empoyer that ain't much of a promise.

keno

My honor is at stake. The support will be provided and you set aside a truss fund for me, no?

wasfast
03-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I "stopped" working in 2003 for 2 years. I was bored out of my mind. While I had money, it wasn't so surplus that I could just travel endlessly and do anything. Even so, that would get boring too.

The 2 things I learned: 1) save more than you think you'll need. 2) Have a solid plan of how you expect to spend your time. Watching TV all day doesn't count. Especially if you've been a driver type personality, have a challenge or you'll go nuts.

BoulderGeek
03-26-2007, 09:32 AM
4 weeks remain until my next layoff.

I have the summer in Europe to get my body in shape and my mind around the next big thing. No idea what my next job, career or obstacle will be.

Nearly 40 and at complete loose ends.

What's the life expectancy of a crack head?

I don't see a comfortable retirement off on the horizon. When even my peak earning years are unstable, unprofitable and limited in scope, how can the future be bright?

Advice: stay out of the IT industry.

Any suggestions from you successful people on how to start over again?

Russell
03-26-2007, 11:52 AM
if i live past retirement i won't be able to leave a good-looking corpse.

barry1021
03-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I retired at 42 when I sold my last company. Retirement is boring. We traveled and wined and dined and that was good for about two years, then we were bored for four more. Now I've started VO and I'm 49. I hope I can start at least two more companies or foundations or something before I croak. For me it's about having fun, not retiring. And fun is starting stuff and building it up, once it's mature anyone can run it.

You're working but its not work to you, so why stop??? I hope to start a second career sometime in the next few years; I don't think I could ever do "nothing". Work for a non-profit, something to spend some more time giving back for my good fortune. As for the OP's question, I expect to live until the money's gone!!

b21

nobrakes
03-26-2007, 06:40 PM
At 57, legally too young to retire, even though I've had a career in the same Co. for 39 years. After a life altering, near-death bike crash in '05 that has me on disability and lots of time on my hands, I have a lot of think-time available about just this subject. Since my financial needs are not that great, and income from investments and disability allow me freedom to do as I want, within reason, I get to spend my time riding and traveling, two things in my previous life I had very little time for.
The riding is now done at a much slower pace, and with a lot more pain, but the more I do, the better it gets. I miss racing a lot, but I am welcomed by my old group, and can almost keep up with them for most of the training rides we do. I can be active in our cycling club, but haven't so much due to never being around that much.
Being able to travel, and finding a much needed outlet for helping others has me doing annual (maybe more) trips to Peru and Ecuador, where I have just returned. We do work in small rehabs, and we travel around the U.S., helping gather donated medical supplies, etc. to take down there to those in need and who have nothing. We have to hand deliver donations because shipping and corruption are so bad down there.
I expect to live at least until my mid 90's, and am so very grateful that I was able to keep a career in the same co. for 40 years (when I'll officially retire, if the Gov. doesn't do any more messing around with pensions payouts), I am good $$ wise. I can't help but say here, that the best thing I ever did was plan for my future by investing for it while I was young. I would emphasize to people just starting out in a career to do the same. There is no bling-bike or expensive car that anyone needs today, that will ever be as cost effective or valuable than making sure you'll be good financially when you want to, or have to retire.

Serotta PETE
03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Being 60 and mostly retired, I can honestly say that "retirement is very under rated" My wife and I were lucky to have a pension and we maximized our 401K from the begining. We are very fortunate to have our health and also two great daughters. (Yes and I still have way too many toys and no ANEIDA Ride, aka RAY, can not have the M3)

After this many years I can not stress the below enough:

- minimize debt and have ZERO balance on those credit cards
- maximize your 401K or similar investments to the limit allowed by federal
goverment
- keep current or ahead on skills in your field of employment, WE are
never too old to learn and must always keep that "gray matter" working.
- never count on tomorrow (I lost both brother in laws in the same year)
- never take your health for granted (**** happens - - I had a brain tumor
a few years ago and luckily everything is great now) Must be that red
wine

Have friends and treat others as you would like to be treated..

Look for good in everything - for others will point out the bad.

I do not know how long I will live and thus try to live each day to the fullest and hopefully never say " I wish I would have done such and such"

Kevin
03-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Being 60 and mostly retired, I can honestly say that "retirement is very under rated" My wife and I were lucky to have a pension and we maximized our 401K from the begining. We are very fortunate to have our health and also two great daughters. (Yes and I still have way too many toys and no ANEIDA Ride, aka RAY, can not have the M3)

After this many years I can not stress the below enough:

- minimize debt and have ZERO balance on those credit cards
- maximize your 401K or similar investments to the limit allowed by federal
goverment
- keep current or ahead on skills in your field of employment, WE are
never too old to learn and must always keep that "gray matter" working.
- never count on tomorrow (I lost both brother in laws in the same year)
- never take your health for granted (**** happens - - I had a brain tumor
a few years ago and luckily everything is great now) Must be that red
wine

Have friends and treat others as you would like to be treated..

Look for good in everything - for others will point out the bad.

I do not know how long I will live and thus try to live each day to the fullest and hopefully never say " I wish I would have done such and such"

Pete,

You are a wise man.

Kevin

keno
03-27-2007, 07:30 AM
you are so right. This ain't no dress rehearsal, and there ain't no script.

keno

C5 Snowboarder
03-27-2007, 10:02 AM

can not have the M3)

Pete-- Also 6o with many toys and I think you should find a way to buy the M3, BMW fan here myself but I am thinking the 335 coupe maybe an alternative. Corvette and SL already in the stable will love a new baby brother I think.

Good info and advice on the retirement planning. Similar what I have stressed to my own kids. Thank god they listened and have a very nice sized nest egg started and they are just early 30s.

One liner I'd lke to ad to your list is

Have more dreams than regrets.

Good day :)

Serotta PETE
03-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Everyone - thanks for the kind words.

Already have the M3 but AneidaRide is trying to get it away from me :p

The 335 is a great car. I have mixed emotion about the "active" steering and it is not for me. Regular steering and sports package could make me lust. Once Dinan and others get a chip for the turbo it will be faster than my e46 M3. I am hearing figures of easily 350-360 horse for the "chipped" car.

80 degrees here and Mark and I just got back from a wonderful ride.....

PETE

Pete-- Also 6o with many toys and I think you should find a way to buy the M3, BMW fan here myself but I am thinking the 335 coupe maybe an alternative. Corvette and SL already in the stable will love a new baby brother I think.

Good info and advice on the retirement planning. Similar what I have stressed to my own kids. Thank god they listened and have a very nice sized nest egg started and they are just early 30s.

One liner I'd lke to ad to your list is

Have more dreams than regrets.

Good day :)