PDA

View Full Version : Gentleperson's Your Ride Reports pls.

Too Tall
05-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Today a misty rainy excuse for a BEAUTIFUL gentle ride alllll by myself. Thought about what it means to fight and maybe die for your country some.

Sat. was a huge disaster. Raced in Baltimore inner city on an concrete and broken glass circuit that was called a race course. Had a lousy day, felt bonked from the get go and they mixed the 30+ and 40+ field. For 20 mins. I had my highest watts avg. ever....and I quit after sliding out in a turn chasing back on and getting popped. Man this race scene is getting me down.

And you?

Kevin
05-31-2004, 07:44 PM
No riding, children marching in Memorial Day parades, annual dance recitals, etc. To make matters worse, I am out of town all week on an arbitration, hope to be back on the bike on Friday.

Kevin

Dr. Doofus
05-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Sat -- 2.5 hours

Sun -- 4.5 hours (see "you guys are sick thread) + weights

Mon -- rest. I'm rubbish.

Ginger
05-31-2004, 07:55 PM
But no nice long rides yet. Saw my orthopedic doc for my knee and he put me back on celebrex (works for the knee, not for my hip) to see if we can get rid of the tendonitis that seems to be lingering. Told me to take it easy, ramp up on the workouts, ride my bike more, do water exersizes, and behave myself.

Friday: 19 miles after work on my cross bike with a beginning mountain biker ride buddy. I had gotten into some gluten last week so I the well was empty...no energy, but it turned out to be a nice ride anyhow.
Saturday: Its raining in Michigan. 4 hours of trail work followed by a trail ride that included lots of 4" deep mud pits. BAD Mary Ann...
Sunday: Another buddy and I did a delightful mountain bike dirt road/trail ride including some hill work. 19 miles, no idea of how fast. Rode over to check out a local mtb race, harrass the wrenches, touched base with a few of my other mmba and riding buddies, mooched free clif shots, then rode back to his house picked up his wife, and went to lunch at the local Mexican joint. Nope, didn't race...(not after mexican food...ulf)
Today turned out to be a beautiful day in Michigan after the rain let up. But I was in the house doing all the things I blew off Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

cookieguy
05-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Saturday -- 40ish miles, up Lookout Mt. in Golden, CO...Typical colorado weather, couldn't decide if it was going to be beautiful or rain....Two 15minute showers. Waited the 2nd one out at Bufallo Bill's grave site. The idea of a 4.5 mi downhill in the rain did not appeal.

Sun -- Hiked 10miles with friends
Mon -- Ate burgers

Cranky
05-31-2004, 08:14 PM
Gorgeous day today, sunny, high clouds, 75 degrees, a bit windy but seems to always be in your face no matter what direction you go. Met my riding buddy, Big Dog, (and he IS big- 6' 7" @ 265 lbs. also nicknamed "Flyin' Barn Door") at the LBS just north of town and we headed out for a 70 miler into West Marin. This was the first "long" ride on my new Hors Cat that I had build up last week at my LBS (photos to be posted soon). Lot of cars on the road even at 9 AM with people heading to the coast or to the park for picnics and Holiday get togethers. Met a guy in a full Postal kit on the first climb who happened to turn out to be Dan Osipow the director of Tailwind Sports the company that manages The Posties. I had actually met him a couple of weeks prior in The Tour of Marin a benefit ride for a local school that Tailwind had organized and had brought in George Hincapie and several of the masters Postal Squad for a 50 mile ride. Anyway, the point is, you meet some interesting people while cycling and I beside the riding itself, the social aspect of the sport is very appealing to me. And the ride today was superb (especially drafting Big Dog!) :D

BumbleBeeDave
05-31-2004, 08:32 PM
Last Sunday . . . 36.5 miles, 18.1 average . . . up Rectum, uh, make that “Rector” Road, down Swart Hill.

Tuesday . . . 35.6 miles . . . LSD (Long, slow distance) with a friend who has not been riding much. 16.8 average.

Thursday . . . Awful week at work, took it out on the road. 40.3 miles, 19.7 average. :D

Saturday . . . 52.5 miles around Great Sacandaga Lake with KeyBank Tom (The Sorcerer’s Apprentice Reject) . . . 17.5 average, which was pretty good, what with climbs up West Mountain Road and Hadley Hill Road. Perfect weather! Tom kindly abstained from dropping me like a ton o’ bricks.

Sunday . . . More perfect weather . . . 70.2 miles with local gang of thugs that call themselves the Schenectady Cycling Club. I was gonna break off and cut it short, but they tempted me with the ultimate bait--last 25 miles into town in front of a tailwind! Only 16.5 average, but hey, it WAS 70 friggin’ miles! :eek:

Today . . . total fart-around recovery ride on the bike path on the MTB . . . 31.5 miles. Started out cloudy, then spit rain on me the last 7 miles. Didn’t keep track of the average speed, but it could not have been very high after I left the clock running while I stopped to:
A) Grab coffee and cookies at Starbuck’s
B) Look for turtles (didn’t see any)
C) Check tires after riding though huge pile of glass
D) Watch ducks at county park
E) Pee
F) Say hello to Basenji dogs (Rudy, Max, and Stella)
G) Say hello to friendly deer
H) Watch beaver eat water plants

Jesus I’m sore! Time to sit around in my underwear for a few days of rest and recovery, reading the foum, scratching myself, and gobbling little chocolate donuts. ;)

BBDave

Tom
05-31-2004, 08:36 PM
- Saturday: A real nice 52 miler with BBDave in the Sacandaga environs. Notable for West Mt. and Hadley Hill. Very peculiar, the whole summer lake scene. Contrasted with an early autumn ride Dave and I did in the same area it was strange to see the place loaded up.
- Sunday: 58 miles of Conquer Yer Demons day. Crawford - Sterling - Ennis and back up Rte. 160 to the wrong turn down Sulpher Springs Road. Yeah, they're little hills to some but 3 x 2 miles at about 10% average is enough to make this puppy think about the cold beer at home. Total climbing 3750 on the day. Chasing home with a 20mph tailwind was great. I was supposed to cross the river and hit a couple hills on the other side but said to hell with it. Ride the wind.
- Monday: 70 miles of Scotty from Star Trek day. Every time I tried to start the warp drive I hear from below "Cap'n! I can nae do it! She'll brrreak up!" Rode on impulse power the whole way.

Tomorrow I put the first coat on the cellar floor. Section 5 of 6.

Oh, and I brewed a honey porter and a bitter. Yum.

ericmurphy
05-31-2004, 09:33 PM
All weekend: perfect weather, no clouds, just a bit on the cool side (around 60). But I had a Killer Cold from Outer Space, felt like crap. So I thought I'd try to kill some germs with a little riding.

Saturday: 60 miles in the hills. Very slow, barely 13 MPH. But my legs were way less tired, can't imagine why. :-) I have this feeling my cardio condition is generally much better than my strength; I generally average a HR around 150 on a ride like this. Today it was more like 155, and I felt a bit winded when I got home (maybe from all the coughing and hacking the night before). I think my legs appreciated the turning of the tables.

Sunday and Monday: 40 miles both days, no hills. Each day got faster, each day avg. HR went down. I must be recovering.

coylifut
05-31-2004, 10:14 PM
Saturday about 1.5 hours in pre race mode. Couple of down hill sprints, short flat ground jumps and one 5 minute race effort up a winding climb.

Sunday race. Had good legs, 66 miles, 3600 of total elevation gain, about 85 starters, got 4th in a sprint out of the 25 that made the final group. If I would have done everything right, I might have got 3rd, but no better. Two of the guys were clearly better than me. Well, I know what needs to be worked on.

Monday. What ever the spouse wanted to. Usually she likes to ride a little, but not today. Feeling fairly fresh.

shaq-d
06-01-2004, 04:09 AM
been trying to sort-of take on the lance armstrong/chris carmichael training. it calls for basically 45min-1hr workouts everyday, speed training. intervals, tempo, fast spin. so last week was 25km on mostly flat routes, and a few repeated inclines. since i read that petacchi trains for sprints by going up slight inclines, i told myself i'm petacchi as i went up...

sunday was the best weather day we've had here in toronto in a while, so i took the bike path. people were everywhere, kids, families, etc. i posted what i'm about to say over at RBR, but i'll rehash the story quickly: as i slowed up to make a turn where there was a bunch of kids and families, one of the kids saw me and yelled out to another kid, "see, now THAT's a fast guy!!" lol. that was cool. i attribute it mostly to my shades and my yellow "taxicab" jersey (it echoes the paintjob of those yellow taxicabs). anyway that was a 75km day.

today, just then in fact, 2-4am, i just did a quick 45km run. as fast as i could tempo for 1hr at 29km/hr, then a rest, then back home.

dunno if the lance thing works, but i'm definitely faster now than when i started last month. i've been cruising comfortably at the 39-17 combo, my goal for this month is to cruise comfortably at the 39-15 combo.

sd

Bruce K
06-01-2004, 04:44 AM
After basically 2 weeks off...

Thursday - 19 miles with a couple of freinds

Saturday - 55 miles iwth the regular group. Rode mostly with a new rider who was amazing. Low end Giant, no computer, strong as an ox. Stuck in the middle ring of a Tiagra triple this woman's "natural cadence" put her at about 22 mph!! My legs were fried by mile 45!!

Sunday - 35 miles at a decent pace with a local club then off to watch my son march in the local Memorial Day parade.

Monday - 20 mile recovery ride (and boy did I NEED it)

I am still way behind last year's curve but feeling a little bit better each week.

Weather for today is rainy - I need a day off anyways.

BK

pbbob
06-01-2004, 06:24 AM
spent the weekend on the beach. sat. was the wifemates elegibility date for aarp [her 50th birthday for the younger crowd that don't know what aarp is] so after a morning ride on the serotta single speed up and down the highway between rehoboth and ocean city [40 miles round trip or so] we rode the mountainbike tandem for an hour. sunday did the same route.

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2004, 06:47 AM
. . . Is that Newbie single? Bring her to Owner’s Weekend! ;)

BBDave

Bruce K
06-01-2004, 07:10 AM
DOWN BOY... SIT....STAY!!

IMHO this woman could match flydhest rpm for rpm, at least for a while. She was like the Energizer bunny! :rolleyes:

At one point 2 riders passed our group and she mistakenly thought they were part of us so off she went!! I had to go chase her down and bring her back to the group. The last 5 miles home were absolutely some of the slowest of my season. She flat out wiped me out.

I don't think she is really your type anyway, trust me on this one. But she would certainly fit right in at Open House. She works for the EPA, had a Kerry bumper sticker on her helmet, and her son is working on his campaign.

10 days and counting.....

BK

Ken Lehner
06-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Saturday: 6am ride with three other triathletes. 71 miles solo "group" ride (no drafting). At 51 miles, we'd averaged 22mph. Bonk. Stopped for a bagel, rode home, averaged 20.9mph.
Sunday: run 7miles, realized I hadn't recovered from Saturday. Spent the rest of the day eating.
Monday: wife has morning to ride her horse, I watch the kids. Rains the rest of the day: a rare day off for me.

Spectrum Bob
06-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Saturday – 48 mile club ride – rode with Smiley and Sandy for the first half and just Sandy for the last half – Smiley chose to do a longer route – I needed to get home - family commitments - after the pool I took my 6 year old for a bike ride – her longest ride to date – 1.5 miles – she was thrilled she hit 10 mph on a down hill.

Sunday – did 26 in the park with Sandy – very pleasant.

Monday – no riding – yard work, helped clean the basement and picnic.

Spetrum Bob

Jack Brunk
06-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Firday:

Interval training working on power and climbing

Saturaday:

50 mile plus ride with Blastinbob, Mavic1010 and Tom.

Sunday:

40 miles very fast paced.

Monday:

8 mile fast trekking hike through Santa Monica mountains in the am followed by three hours of great mountain biking. Man, it was a great weekend.

Jack

Dekonick
06-01-2004, 10:17 AM
No riding all week - Father was in surgery for a heart valve replacement after some nasty bacteria threw a party.

Gonna go out right now! only my second ride in the last 7 days. Wow - it makes you feel like crap when you cant get out. :cool:

Dekonick
06-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Oh; he did just fine. :p

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Crawford, Sterling AND Ennis?!?!?!

Further proof that Tom could be committed to a state hospital at any time. Any one of those hills is like riding up the side of the Gateway Arch. Ennis really scared me--and I was in my CAR! :rolleyes:

BBDave

Marron
06-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Saturday - 25 easy miles

Sunday - 15 easy miles

Monday - Epic. 90 miles and 9,0000 feet of climbing from Greenwater, WA to Paradise in Mt. Rainier Park in "early season" conditions.

What do you call it when you make the same mistake twice? Back in '99 I rode this course and nearly froze to death on July 6th. This time I thought I would be even more sporting and didn't bring a rain jacket, just a thermal vest and a warm hat. After all the forecast was calling for clearing. At Cayouse Pass, 4,700', it was 34 degrees with snow, freezing rain and fog. Next comes an 11 mile descent of an initially twisty and somewhat bumpy road. When the shaking stopped and I could get my money out, I entered the park and had the unique experience of being too cold even when climbing for about 5 miles. At Paradise it was also 34 degrees, but only a little freezing rain. Then it was time to reverse the preceding.

The real revelation on the ride were the FSA Energy cranks. I'm a believer; I was able to keep the cadance in the 80's at all times and only spun out at 37 mph, which in the conditions was plenty.

Len J
06-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Friday: Snuck out for 1.5 hours in the PM.....stolen hours on the bike are the best.

Saturday: Oldest Son Graduated from U of Delaware in the AM. Got back in time to do 3 hours before dark.

Sunday: Mini group ride with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. Did 3 hours, with the last 45 minutes at redline.......a rush.

Monday: Rain all day.....scored points with the wife by helping clean out closets.

Len

EnduroFit
06-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Saturday Noon-Sunday Noon:

Participated in a five man relay for the Source Burn 24 Hour Race. My road bike was on the way to Lake Tahoe for this weekends' Century and I thought the mountain bike was being negelected. Great time and I won a $25 g.c. to a local bike shop.

Here's the info from the ride.

53.4 miles
347 minutes ride time
5181 feet of climbing
9 laps
5170 calories burned...a lot more consumed!!!
Fastest lap was about 33 minutes. Slowest was about 40 minutes.

No rain and the night ride was pleasant at 3 a.m. Oh yeah, did a lot of this after my last 2 laps :beer: :beer:

Can't wait for Friday when I leave for Tahoe.

Cheers,
Brent

Homsie
06-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Saturday - 60 mile HOP (House of Pain) from Walnut Creek (CA) to Livermore and back. This ride really turned out to be a painful ride. We were going through some rollers two abreast and the guy in front of me decides to stand to acclerate. His right pedal unclips which causes him to weave two or three times and then he does a header over the right side of his bike. I have no where to go and I go down...as I 'm lying on the ground I look back just in time to see a couple of bikes flying my way...and I'm able to put an arm up to deflect them. The guy that did the header lands on his left temple and is bleeding all over the place....he gets up and staggers around and gets caught up in the barbed wire fence. We had to call the paramedics and thankfully, he should be okay. I've just got a little rash, a half dollar sized cut on the left knee and some new chips in the Calfee Tetra (DOH!). I get back on the bike and finish the ride with the knee oozing.

Sunday - slow recover ride to loosen up for the ST bikes crit on Monday.

Monday - ST Bikes crit - elite 4's....fast 16 lap crit...8th of 85. Should've jumped earlier!

James

David Kirk
06-01-2004, 08:17 PM
It snowed at my house both Sat and Sun......don't you all want to move the the rockies? Today it's 70° and tomorrow it's going to be 80° so life is good.

Dave

larryp2
06-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Sat - 20 miles of local loops
Sun - working
Mon - 114 miler up to Hebron and home through Vermont
Today - eating everything not nailed down and celebrating my 21 year old middle child's bday.....

jeffg
06-01-2004, 09:39 PM
All week -- work too hard, exhausted

Sunday -- 60 miles, 4300 vertical feet, nice hilly ride
Monday -- Trainer for 3 hours: 2X [24 minutes tempo alternating 60/100 rpm every minute w/ 8 minutes rest in between]; riding the virtual Gavia while watching the Giro on tape (1:15), cooldown

Tuesday -- thinking about getting up north to check out the factory and get dropped by Tom/BBD! Hmmm, how about some of them climbs as a carrot to et me up for open house?

vaxn8r
06-01-2004, 10:42 PM
The weather: good/so so/great. The scenery a 10! It's Oregon...

Thurs: 48m very windy/hard rain on and off. ~2-1/2 hours but exhiliarating feeling when done because I went out in what most people would call crazy.

Sat: 65 m. Cat 1-2 racers and a few of us mortals. Kind of pisses me off at times when the pace remains in the 30's for more than a couple of miles. Blew me up. Even more discouraging is they were just prepping for Sunday's race...taking it easy on us. But I fully know what I'm geting into and I keep going back for more. I know it's an ego thing....If I can hang and pace line with these boys (though I'm not pacing in the 30's, more like hanging on for dear life) then somehow I'm still a valid rider. Yes? Maybe not.

Mon: 86m hard, steady pacing. Only 5 of us. Took turns pulling around 23-26 with a few gut busting hills thrown in. I felt fresh and young. Full recovery from Saturday.

BumbleBeeDave
06-02-2004, 06:43 AM
Just let me know when you are coming up. I do not have my daughter that week, but I’m usually hard pressed to get home and on the bike earlier than 6pm. But this time of year that’s still plenty of light for at least two hours.

BBDave

dirtdigger88
06-02-2004, 07:06 AM
Last week,

My normal hour ride in the morning

Friday - 40 miles after work to get in the mood for the weekend

Sat. 50 mile solo in the a.m. Then went camping with friends. We played on BMX bikes all day, who can jump the highest, who can ride the longest wheelie, who can crash the hardest. Man that was fun

Sun. 30 miles in the afternoon fighting a killer wind

Mon. just a one and a half hour spin around Forset Park

Tuseday- Back to my one hour morning rides

Wednesday- off to Nashville Tn. taking the bike of course. I am meeting a guy that I do business with for a two hour ride toningt.

I will be off line til late Friday, have a great week everyone

Jason