PDA

View Full Version : And Manayunk gets interesting. USPRO championship in Philly

gt6267a
05-31-2004, 07:28 PM
And Manayunk gets interesting.

On weekends, I like to go down to a coffee shop in Manayunk with my laptop and work on the book I’m writing.

Approaching the coffee shop, I see a number of C-dales with Record. I walk into the shop and see a bunch of tanned 21 year-olds drinking coffee in full team Saeco kit.

I sit down to chat with my friends though conversation is basically futile. My friends are female and they are checking out the riders. I get some coffee and see that four USPS riders are sitting by the window. They roll away, each one on a different colored OCLVs.

I sit down and start writing as a few Webcor guys come in. I’m pretty sure one of them is Chris Horner but I’m not 100% certain.

Bike week in Philly is always fun. Anyone else in the area enjoying the pre-race activities? Anyone coming in to watch?

-k

Johny
05-31-2004, 08:09 PM
My wife and I were down there last year. Man, there were so many parties on "the wall": I wondered how many true cycling fans were actually there to watch the race. Cannot go this year...

P.S. I saw e-Richie there last year...

va rider
05-31-2004, 08:15 PM
As a Philly native, I usually go pretty much every year. We usually hit the Main Street Stroll the night before the race. I have spent plenty of time at the World's End Cafe and Manayunk. The morning of the race it is always fun to ride the course and climb the wall.

We are expecting our third child any day now. If she makes her arrival before this weekend, I am going to bring my two boys to the race. They love to see the pros.

It is always a great time!