PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Pedal with the Shimano Road Flavor, But for My Cross Bike

samtaylor1
03-23-2007, 01:44 PM
I really like the shimano road pedal style (specifically the ultegra set). I was wondering if there is a mountain/ cross pedal that has a large platform (at least sorta like the shimano road pedal), that is two sided?

Right now I just have a set of spd pedals, which I really like (though have never used the time or frogs), but for the riding I am doing in Detroit city (the roads warrant a cross bike), I would love to have a pedal with a larger platform.

Thanks

petitelilpettit
03-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Time ATAC's should do well for you.

Pettit

SoCalSteve
03-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Check out the Crank Bro's line of two sided pedals:

http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater.php

You may find a different solution to what you are looking for.

Steve

samtaylor1
03-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Has anyone used the crank brothers "quatro" pedal?

Thanks

rnhood
03-23-2007, 05:53 PM
I tried the Quattro and did not care for it. Some people seem to like it fine though. The Quattro is really an attempt to convert an eggbeater into a road pedal. With my Sidi's, I had to install some adapter plate so the cleats would align properly. It made the pedal seem awkward and increased the stack height.

Crank Bros has a large platform "Mallet" pedal that might be worth considering. I like the looks of it but, have not tried it.

Shimano also has their 424 and 647 pedals which also might be worth considering - especially if you like the SPD pedal.

I will agree that the Dura-Ace or Ultegra SPD-SL pedals are just plain hard to beat.