PDA

View Full Version : European bike culture...

dave thompson
03-23-2007, 10:32 AM
...signage along the bike paths in Austria.

dave thompson
03-23-2007, 10:44 AM
..for bikes and riders only, to cross the Danube.

JohnS
03-23-2007, 11:00 AM
I thought it was Blue? :confused:

dave thompson
03-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Hotels and restaurants seriously cater to cyclists. We traveled by ourselves, not with a group, but we seemed to always be in a group. Every business along the way had racks so you could park your bike. Small towns had bike racks in the center of town for our convenience.

Too Tall
03-23-2007, 11:11 AM
You are sooooo coool :) Love it.

Karin Kirk
03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
When was this lovely trip Dave?
Awesome photos and descriptions.
I am heading over SOON and this time the trip will involve some riding. Can't wait! :)

dave thompson
03-23-2007, 11:50 AM
When was this lovely trip Dave?
Awesome photos and descriptions.
I am heading over SOON and this time the trip will involve some riding. Can't wait! :)
2005. We cycled from Salzburg to Vienna, about 500Kms. Probably the most enjoyable trip I've ever taken.

You can't see it in the pics but the weather was the worst they had experienced there in 50 years; very heavy tropical-type rainfall. Innsbruck was flooded, villages in the Alps were washed away, the Danube overflowed its banks. We had to cycle on as our hotels were arranged ahead of time and our baggage was picked up and delivered every day to the next hotel. Fortunately it wasn't cold, just wet for 9 days out of 14. The upside was that we experienced the best of people. All along the route, people would open their garage doors so cyclists could get some respite from the weather. Small gasthaus and gasthofs would warm us up with a complimentary beverage as we took off our rain gear and invite us to stay awhile. Everyone was terribly nice to us, made the trip very memorable as a cycling adventure. Maybe they thought that we were dim for riding at that time. We saw more bikes in two weeks there than I've seen in 2 years here.

Louis
03-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Nice pics, Dave. However, since I'm not one to miss an opportunity to turn a thread into a political polemic:

So what are you saying, that the US is not the greatest country in the universe, with the absolute best of everything to offer its (legal) citizens?

You know, I always thought there was something funny about cyclists, with they tight girlie-shorts. Now I know. Remember, you're either with us, or against us, and now we know where you folks stand...

Kevan
03-23-2007, 12:12 PM
give us your rack opinion.

Did you typically lock up your bikes before walking away?

ada@prorider.or
03-23-2007, 12:30 PM
well i think we have to invite the forum members to experince to only country in europa that has almost evrywhere bike lane's and see for them selve's

altough we have no mountains ,but a real bike colture

the netherlands

harlond
03-23-2007, 01:04 PM
well i think we have to invite the forum members to experince to only country in europa that has almost evrywhere bike lane's and see for them selve's

the netherlandsCees, you've convinced me. Now tell me the employment options for an American lawyer in the Netherlands? :(

ada@prorider.or
03-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Now tell me the employment options for an American lawyer in the Netherlands? :(

well there are enough
as i learn from my doughter who study's law

dave thompson
03-23-2007, 01:18 PM
give us your rack opinion.

Did you typically lock up your bikes before walking away?
The bikes were rental bikes, there's a bunch of companies that specialize in that service. The bikes have built-in locks on the seat stays, forward of the rear brake that secure the rear wheel from turning. One could be picked up and taken but that type of bike is so ubiqutous I don't think they are high-lust objects.

Kevan
03-23-2007, 01:20 PM

the netherlands

in May.

rwsaunders
03-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey Dave...did you wear your kickstand out as a result of your frequent brew stops?

dave thompson
03-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey Dave...did you wear your kickstand out as a result of your frequent brew stops?
Darn near.

Some towns were so small, maybe a house or two. Here the sign says we're entering Eizendorf. The sign in the far background says that we're leaving Eizendorf.

BURCH
03-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Love this part of Europe. Thanks for sharing.

vaxn8r
03-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks Dave. Pretty cool. What month were you there?

dave thompson
03-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks Dave. Pretty cool. What month were you there?
August. The terrible weather was atypical. The usual weather for that time of year is what we encountered when we entered the Wachau region, Germany's wine country, bright sunny and warm. What a beautiful vista as we came out of the steep Danube valleys into broad Wachau Valley.

The last picture was taken in Dürnstein, a town on such a narrow roadway that cars had to park outside of town and bicycles had to be walked through. The castle on the hillside is where King Richard the Lion Hearted was held prisoner after the 3rd Crusade in 1193!

goonster
03-23-2007, 03:31 PM
the Wachau region, Austria's wine country,

Fixed. There are probably wine-growing regions along the Danube in Germany, but I don't know what they're called.

The province of Lower Austria (Niederoesterreich) is very underrated for cyclotouring. No mountains, but lots of rolling hills, relatively low population density for this part of Europe, no crush of tourists in season but there should be plenty of modestly priced lodging and food available. Plus very good (underrated on these shores) wine.

Great pictures. They're making me homesick. Thanks a lot! :rolleyes:

Brian Smith
03-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Gruss Gott...

Sitting here looking at a pile of dirty snow...a little wet looks like great fun.

Thanks for sharing.

Zard
03-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks for sharing the photos. Another place to add to the list of places to ride....