PDA

View Full Version : What's with Graham Watson....

Russ
05-31-2004, 06:58 PM
I normally go to Graham's website (http://grahamwatson.com/) to check race commentaries and pictures, but I must say, I am a bit dissapointed with the guy after his coverage of the 2004 Giro, and especially after his editorial comments on the Saeco Team pictures for the last stage:

What I mean is that I don't know why Graham has emphazised so much on the Simoni's issues this past Giro:

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04giroSt20

1) "Damiano Cunego celebrates winning the 2004 Giro d'Italia in Milan, with teamate and, now rival, Gilberto Simoni ...." one picture says.
2) "Saeco team rides at the head of the peloton - without Gilberto Simoni..." the other picture says.

Whereas, other outlets do not continue to make an issue of what happened between Simoni and Cunego:

In Cyclingnews.com:

1) "Cunego and Simoni made up their differences and Simoni was geniunely happy for Cunego on the podium..." http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/giro04/index.php?id=stage20/4
2) "Team Saeco were the big winners of the Giro..." http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/giro04/index.php?id=stage20/3

Lastly, I do not understand why he chose to leave a few stages of the Giro to cover some little unknown race that I have never heard of, or cared to see: http://grahamwatson.com/2004/languedoc/coverpage.html

Is Mr. Graham Watson becoming a paparazzo, more than a serious sports photojournalist, which I thought he was?

BumbleBeeDave
05-31-2004, 07:28 PM
As a photojournalist and editor myself, perhaps I can lend some perspective.

Watson is, first and foremost, a freelance sports photographer who makes almost his entire income from cycling photography, which he markets to a wide variety of cycling publications. It’s a tough arena to make a living in, and I admire him for his success at it. Over the past few years he has enlarged his marketing efforts to include art posters, original prints, calendars, and even light switch plates bearing his images.

Because of his need to sell his images, he is inevitably held somewhat of a hostage to what the fans and the editors of the cycling mags want to see--and right now, they want to see LANCE. Lance was not in the Giro, but Lance WAS in the Languedoc (Did I spell that right?) and therefore it makes perfect commercial sense for Watson to decamp from the Giro and take off to get some up-to-date images of Lance.

Take a look at that photo you put the link in for. Who is that orange jersey off in the distance behind LA? Is it Mayo? Zubeldia? That’s what fans are interested in now. For better or worse, the question of whether Lance can win six is the most important issue in this year’s cycling world and Watson would be crazy not to cater to what editors and fans want--and want to pay him to show them.

As for the captions on the Giro photos, I think Watson knows a hell of a lot about what is REALLY going on in the peloton because he follows this stuff all year and knows a lot of the riders. Simoni may indeed step up on the podium at the end and make a show of supporting his teammate-it’s what he’s paid to do! But the fact that Simoni was NOT there on the road to participate in the group shot potentially says a lot about how he is REALLY feeling . . . and Graham is right--Simoni and Cunego are now rivals, no matter what CyclingNews.com says or what kind of PR pap Saeco may be handing out. This Giro was supposed to be Gibi’s to win, and now this guy Cunego comes out of literally nowhere to snatch it from him--and he’s from Simoni’s own team! That is a legitimate story and something I am interested in as a fan, and that’s one of the things I trust Graham Watson to show me--the REAL story from his own unique point of view.

End of sermon!

And, BTW, did you want to do that ride the Wednesday before the TdFL or was it Owner’s Weekend?

BBDave

Russ
05-31-2004, 09:14 PM
Insightful and informative response, Thanks!

Of course, I still want to do that ride on Wednesday, before TdFL (NOT Owners Weekend).

I just hope our ride is not going to make Mr. Watson travel all the way from Europe to the Albany area for a few shots.... :D

Johny
06-01-2004, 12:29 AM
I
I just hope our ride is not going to make Mr. Watson travel all the way from Europe to the Albany area for a few shots.... :D

Or you are gonna pose... like this :D

Russ
06-01-2004, 12:47 AM
Or you are gonna pose... like this :D

Johny,

OK, I confess, I am a poser.... but then again.... this may be a better pic:

PS Note all bikes are Campy Equipped, BTW.

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2004, 06:40 AM
. . . I thought THIS was you, Russ . . . ;)

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2004, 06:42 AM
. . . Is that the new “Transparent Carbon” Campy gruppo on there?

;) ;) ;)
;) ;) ;)
;) ;) :rolleyes:

BBD

Russ
06-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Actually, yes. That picture was taken during my last Tour of Langkawi. Notice the rear disc brake. That is the only part of the group that could not be made transparent.... The two guys are bodyguards, not mechanics BTW, I just did not want anyone near my bike!

But, Dave, haven't I told you NOT to release my pictures without my consent.... :no: There, don't say that you haven't been warned about the upcoming law suit.

oracle
06-01-2004, 11:16 AM
cunego most certainly did not come out of nowhere, btw. this is all the italian press has been writing about leading up to the giro (i've been to italy twice this spring) and this is exactly what they were hoping for. the media may have even spurred him on to en extent, allowing him to realize his grandeur rather than stay subservient to simoni. see also the good profile inprocycling from a few months back, the one with ullrich on the cover. i forget the month.

oracle

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2004, 12:10 PM
. . . that just proves my point, at least a bit.

I must have not gotten to that story before they threw me out of the E-bar at Barnes & Noble! ;) He may be common knowledge in Italy, but I'm not in Italy, and I'm grateful for whatever Watson can show me of him.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2004, 12:12 PM
I can see why you would not want your fans to approach. Just one grab for a "souvenier" and--well, OUCH! is all I can say. Very unpleasant mental images . . .

BBDave