PDA

View Full Version : OT: 10 years at The Company

Ginger
03-22-2007, 09:01 PM
10 years. OMG

My 40th birthday didn’t make me feel old. My nieces having babies didn’t make me feel old. Working for the same company for 10 years? Suddenly man, I feel old.

It’s not that I’ve sat in the same job for 10 years with the company. I’ve had a number of different jobs and different bosses and different departments. All technical writing, but different slants. Programming manuals, discrete event simulation tutorials, tutorials, user guides, quick guides, corporate style guides, new tools, new software, world news articles, technical marketing materials, copy writing, web content editing, corporate communications pieces.

The company has changed hands since I started and it’s morphed into something different. We had 25 people in the office the first year I was there. Monthly birthday parties, weekly bar nights, softball team, cricket team, dancing on the tables at midnight, Interleaf. Now there are 200 in the office with an extended enterprise that covers the world and most markets. Before my main crew I dealt with was five guys together in one of the little offices at the back fo the building. I now deal with internal and external clients around the world and almost around the clock.

10 years. OMG. I never thought I’d work for any one entity other than myself for this long.

Odd thing though I notice is the people that I’ve worked with for this long...when they come up on 10 years, are leaving. I remember when these people joined the company out of college, they’ve gotten married, had kids, lost their parents, all of life's trials and tribulations while they were here...and now they’re gone. And tonight, as I’m looking at my own resume I’m starting to have a glimmer of understanding why.

We joined a family that has outgrown us, or we've outgrown them. Tired of their attempts at specialization and compartmentalization. Tired of this particular corporate machinery.
And it makes me feel old.

So...
What's the longest time you've worked at a company?

obtuse
03-22-2007, 09:09 PM
yeah darling...but we've still got half a bottle of thunderbird and a full pack of gpcs....times are good for us.

obtuse

LH2
03-22-2007, 09:11 PM
14 years at Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector-turned-Freescale Semiconductor (and counting).

Louis
03-22-2007, 09:13 PM
10 years, that's still a young pup.

Last summer made 20 years for me at the ol' warplane factory...

dirtdigger88
03-22-2007, 09:15 PM
I hit my 10 year mark in two weeks- April 1st no less :D

now I'm one of the "old-timers" ;)

Jason

C5 Snowboarder
03-22-2007, 09:16 PM
So...

more than you asked but here is my career in a nut shell.

US Army 3 yrs
1st job - 2 years
2nd job - 5 years
3rd job 13 years
4th job 10 years
5th job semi retired 2 1/2 years - spent too many $$$$$ on toys
6th job 3 years and counting.. saving for more toys

:banana:

Grant McLean
03-22-2007, 09:16 PM
14 and counting...

I work with at least a dozen people who've been there +25 years,
so i'm "the new guy" :)

g

bcm119
03-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Six years at my previous job, not counting the 6 months during which I quit, traveled around europe, ran out of money, and then _came back_.

I've been here almost 3 now and I suspect in another year or two I will get restless and bail out. Its my pattern. Whenever I get really comfortable somewhere I feel like moving. :confused:

Ginger
03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
yeah darling...but we've still got half a bottle of thunderbird and a full pack of gpcs....times are good for us.

obtuse

Thanks Jerk.

(and I mean that in the nicest way)

jharsha
03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Would you believe 33 yrs? It true and I still enjoy going to work (most days).

Len J
03-22-2007, 09:31 PM
It takes a different kind of person to take a company from nothing to something, than it takes to grow & maintain it from something.

The longest I've ever been with one co is 10 years....although I've never had the same job for more than 3 years.

MA......I find that key b'days & anniversaries are a time of reflection & assessment......sounds like you are having 2 at once......take your time, soak and listen to your heart.......you'll know if it's time to change.

If it is......do it proactively......."run towards something, not away from something!"

Len

BoulderGeek
03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I lasted two and a half years at Sun Microsystems.

That's my maximum.

I usually move in 12-14 months.

My current gig just got outsourced to India, working Internet Security for IBM. 19 months.

There is no honor, obligation nor bonhomie in the information technology world, anymore.People are now disposable.

It's my fault, for not being a lawyer, doctor, professor or a nurse.

Coming here is always an eye opener. It's good to hear of folks who have been able to stay in one place and build a life. In my world, there is no stability.

Oh, did I fail to mention that I knocked off at 4:15 today, and rode my lovely Serotta 20 miles against the snowcapped Rockies? It's not all bad.

Ginger
03-22-2007, 09:54 PM
That's the odd thing...

This is a software company.

But writing for the product without knowing the product is difficult. None of us are irreplaceable. But the company might be.

cmg
03-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Civil service for the last 8 years. before that 15 years of job instability in the real world. longest job was 3yrs but there was only 2 of them. with any luck i'll never go back. also taught me to not rely on credit to buy stuff. you may not think your lucky but if you can support yourself/family, accumilate some toys and have time to play with them then your better off than most. the trick is to not become so complacent that you take your job for granted.
happy 40th

yarg
03-22-2007, 10:00 PM
23 years. Its a good gig. I know I am lucky. hope everyone gets lucky ;)

Frank
03-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Hard to believe! I have my first pay stub still (but not all the others) and made $4 an hour starting out. Lots of very talented and wonderful people have left over the years as we have gone through several restructurings and a merger. I am very fortunate and blessed.

David Kirk
03-22-2007, 10:33 PM
My longest was 10 years and that was at Ben's place.

Dave

dave thompson
03-22-2007, 10:51 PM
My longest was 10 years and that was at Ben's place.

Dave
You're 4/10ths of the way there now, in your own joint!

PacNW2Ford
03-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Last job: 12 years, Current job: 14 days

Being Weasel-free, priceless...

From the book "Warriors, Workers, Whiners and Weasels", an excellent read.

New place has a fitness center and showers, but just found out that our lease doesn't allow bicycles in the building. How far do you have to disassemble before it is "bike parts", not a "bicycle"?

Ray
03-23-2007, 04:39 AM
...shoulda left after 8-9. I changed jobs within the agency but it was a pretty insular place and I was cooked. I was at another spot for 4 years but I *THINK* I coulda stayed there for many years if we hadn't decided to move back east to be closer to our families. That one was a good fit. Then again, it might not have stayed that way. Working for myself now - I might stay with this outfit for a while :beer:

The boss sucks but the co-workers are AWESOME!

-Ray

stevep
03-23-2007, 04:49 AM
started the company 25 yrs ago.
sold it 6 yrs ago.
continue as an employee doing what i had done.

there are worse scams than this one.

Joel
03-23-2007, 05:01 AM
Interesting discussion...

1st company: 3 years (doing same job whole time)
2nd company: 5 years (doing same job whole time - bored last two years)
3rd company: 3 years (doing same job whole time)
4th company: 12 years and counting (doing something completely different every two to three years or so)

Hmmm. I see a pattern. ADD sets in after three years for me!

Joel

dauwhe
03-23-2007, 05:21 AM
Eight years and twenty-one days. Seems like longer...

Dave

dsimon
03-23-2007, 05:29 AM
almost ten for me 10 more and i can retire :beer:
thank god for uncle sam

Too Tall
03-23-2007, 05:37 AM
I've worked at something since I was 10 or 12....my day job is the longest and am still thankful for the stability this brings. The sidework, OMG THAT IS TRUE HEAVEN :) Hoping within a couple yrs. to reverse this upside down arrangement :)

Do I hear a storm brewin' MAM?

Smiley
03-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Ginger , why did I think you were a flight attendant :) Congrats on all counts and your still a young pup :banana:

OldDog
03-23-2007, 06:24 AM
When I turned 12 I was brought into the family business, a machine shop. Thirty six years later I am still at it and will probably be until I die. I have done some part time stints at an in-laws bike shop, another inlaws construction business and yet another's rv dealership. Helping out when it was needed. I have guys that started out with us from day one, now retiring.
I think if I had to actually go out and "get a job", I wound not know how. I am talented in many ways, but working for some big company is not one.

Tom
03-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Fortunately there have been different responsibilities and the company changed around a bit, sometimes managers change for the better, sometimes for the worse. It's not a bad gig but I do think now and then about when I can get the hell out of this and just sleep in the sun like my cat. Considering its the only thing I'm good at and I make a ton of money for something that really doesn't matter and I get to leave early like yesterday and go play on my bike I think those kinds of thoughts are only natural as we all merrily make our way down this one way ride.

rdparadise
03-23-2007, 07:13 AM
I hear you Ginger, but please don't feel old, get out and ride that Kirk this beautiful Sping weekend and all your worries will go away.

Regarding careers...

1st-9.5 years
2nd-7 mos.
3rd- 5 years
4th-9.5 years
5th-18 mos. trying my own gig with not much success.
6th-9 months and counting...

This last one will hopefully be the last full time-career gig for me. After that's it's semi-retirement, with something part-time to keep me busy, interested and passionate.

You know, it's interesting that as I approach 10 years, it seems I always end up moving on.

Everyone ride safe this weekend and enjoy the Spring weather! :beer:

Bob

Chad Engle
03-23-2007, 07:29 AM
First job, paper route at 9 years, did that until I could drive.

Not counting jobs before and during college.

1st - 5 years
2nd - 1 year
3rd - 1 1/2 ish
4th and current - 6 years

Lately I feel like i'm headed for the mid-life crisis thingy. Nothing seems to make me happy and I don't seem to know what would. Oh well, life's like that sometimes.

Len, I love your quote about running towards something versus away from something. My problem is I still need to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

Have a great weekend all. Supposed to be upper sixties and seventies around here. If it doesn't rain I'm going to try and wear out the bike.

:beer:

BumpyintheBurgh
03-23-2007, 07:59 AM
25 years ago I started an executive recruiting business and I'm still at it. Nothing like being your own boss. In the beginning it was all work and no play, now I've transitioned to more play, less work as I think about wrapping up this gig in a few years and start enjoying life more and finding time to ride my bikes.
I've dealt with many candidates over the years who have come to realize they have stayed too long at one company, for some it's less than 5 years, for others it's 30 years when they get their pink slip for being so loyal. I've always cautioned people about becoming too loyal or attached to a company. Remember a company is in business to make a profit and satisfy their stockholders. It used to be that if a firm made money you would probably have a place to work but nowdays even if a company is profitable your job is in jeopardy as most publicly held firms operate at the dictate of Wall Street. It's a shame what has happened to the American worker and our manufacturing base.
If you're thinking about a change, my advice, start networking. That's how most jobs, that are not internal promotions, are filled. Talk to family, friends, co-workers, look up people you worked with in the past and find out what they are doing, trade associations and business/professional organizations that have luncheons or dinner meeting are a good way to meet people and size up outside employment opportunites, and of course the ever expanding internet universe to find information on potential employers.
I often tell candidates who are having a hard time deciding on a career change or who have an offer pending that "the easiest decision you can make is to do nothing and stay where you are" but "is that the best decision?" Just a thought.

tch
03-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Ginger , why did I think you were a flight attendant :)
Maybe it's because she's so smiley and agreeable?

On this board I'm probably one of the anomalies (though perhaps this is far more common in my field): I just started my 26th year teaching. I started in at an institution where I was the first new faculty member in over 7 years. For 10 years, I was "the new guy". Then, suddenly, about 5 years ago, I looked up and I was among the most senior members at the institution. I've been through 4 Presidents, 5 Deans, 4 department chairs (not counting the 4 years I did it). As I said, maybe this kind of longevity is more common in academia, but what I think perhaps makes me a bit different is that I love what I do more and more each year. Far too many folks who have done this for 20+ years have reached some kind of burn-out point. I haven't and I hope that when I do I'll know it and retire ASAP. I'm one of those guys that really likes the challenge of getting better and better at what I do, of knowing more and more about the interaction between me and my students. Over the years, I have realized that I do not really teach English; in fact, I teach people. And that is endlessly fascinating.

Ginger
03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah, you can't teach English anything.
People learn.
:)

This has gotten to be an interesting thread.

job wise I worked on the farm from 12-24 along with summer jobs in college...engineer's assistant...fun stuff

Out of college my jobs went
drafting tech: 6 months (in an are where there were no writing jobs)
Then I finally found a tech writer job and I've been at some form of that ever since..
Job 1 3 years
Job 2 4 years
Job 3 10 years (like I said, changed departments at around 5 years...)

MarleyMon
03-23-2007, 11:10 AM
If you are working regularly, count your blessings.
If you are not, you are not alone.

Ginger
03-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Yes Marley...I'm in Michigan. I'm very thankful to have a job at all.

old_school
03-23-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm a lifer ... born into a family restaurant business 44 years ago. I started by eating pie and progressed to pealing potatoes, cleaning floors etc, etc. My brother and I took over when our father passed away nearly 20 years ago and have been running the ship ever since. It is a crazy a$$ business, long, stupid hours, little time off, but I can't imagine any other life.

MarleyMon
03-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Yes Marley...I'm in Michigan. I'm very thankful to have a job at all.

My most favoritest former job was in SW Michigan (Niles).

I think you (and all the "Steady Eddies" who posted) should be proud of your career longevity. I know it ain't easy.

bozman
03-23-2007, 02:05 PM
1st job, summers in a restaurant at the Jersey shore - 7 yrs
2nd job, retail - 7 yrs
3rd job, IBM distributor - 7 yrs
while working at my 3rd job I also had a part-time retail job for 6 yrs
current job - 3 yrs in April

I guess I might have a 7 yr itch with employers...

palincss
03-23-2007, 04:56 PM
10 years. OMG

My 40th birthday didn’t make me feel old. My nieces having babies didn’t make me feel old. Working for the same company for 10 years? Suddenly man, I feel old.

It’s not that I’ve sat in the same job for 10 years with the company. I’ve had a number of different jobs and different bosses and different departments. All technical writing, but different slants. Programming manuals, discrete event simulation tutorials, tutorials, user guides, quick guides, corporate style guides, new tools, new software, world news articles, technical marketing materials, copy writing, web content editing, corporate communications pieces.

The company has changed hands since I started and it’s morphed into something different. We had 25 people in the office the first year I was there. Monthly birthday parties, weekly bar nights, softball team, cricket team, dancing on the tables at midnight, Interleaf. Now there are 200 in the office with an extended enterprise that covers the world and most markets. Before my main crew I dealt with was five guys together in one of the little offices at the back fo the building. I now deal with internal and external clients around the world and almost around the clock.

10 years. OMG. I never thought I’d work for any one entity other than myself for this long.

Odd thing though I notice is the people that I’ve worked with for this long...when they come up on 10 years, are leaving. I remember when these people joined the company out of college, they’ve gotten married, had kids, lost their parents, all of life's trials and tribulations while they were here...and now they’re gone. And tonight, as I’m looking at my own resume I’m starting to have a glimmer of understanding why.

We joined a family that has outgrown us, or we've outgrown them. Tired of their attempts at specialization and compartmentalization. Tired of this particular corporate machinery.
And it makes me feel old.

So...

I guess we can assume you aren't covert...? (Around here, "The Company" means a particular 3-letter agency)

I've been with my current employer (another 3-letter agency, GAO) since 1985. Many of my colleagues have been there for as long as I have.

Ginger
03-23-2007, 06:47 PM
I guess we can assume you aren't covert...? (Around here, "The Company" means a particular 3-letter agency)

I've been with my current employer (another 3-letter agency, GAO) since 1985. Many of my colleagues have been there for as long as I have.

Covert? Of course I am. They freak'n think I'm a writer! Woo HOOO!

I left the company name out because who I work for isn't important...and because of course, the internet *is* forever. Besides, it really isn't their problem, they're just a company. The problem is mine.

chuckroast
03-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Job 1: 3 years
Job 2: 13 years
Current job (career change): 10 years next month

But we're all slackers. I have an employee in my organization who last summer celebrated her 49th anniversary with our company. And...she's not ready to retire.

rePhil
03-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I see myself in much of what you wrote.

csm
03-23-2007, 08:31 PM
I hit 7 years in November. Everyday I wonder if it will be my last.

14max
03-24-2007, 09:00 AM
So, what's the longest time you've worked at a company?

Well, I made it 5 years this January with an international banking firm performing the tedious, mind-numbing labor that is quality analysis. I also resigned my position this January and will be conferred with the Master of Arts in Teaching this May. Now the scramble is on to find a teaching position...

soulspinner
03-24-2007, 10:42 AM
means it may be time to fly...or ride outta there.

nobrakes
03-24-2007, 12:14 PM
I hired on with the company I've been with in 1968, fresh out of high school. It's been an interesting career, in that during my younger years, this co. sponsored me in my cycling, and also when I dabbled in surfing contests. They also sponsored me in senor and masters racing, while I held a full-time position. Not many people get this kind of opportunity, and I really value my good fortune, not to mention how they have stuck by me since having a disabling bike accident, I'll be able to retire with 40 years at age 58. One year to go.

jel
03-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Going on 28 years. Do I win a prize? :rolleyes: Maybe not....

5 years 'til retirement. :cool:

djg
03-24-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm going on 9 ... months at a good job.

I've never spent 10 years working for anybody, unless you count the wife. I guess 8 is the record for compensated gigs (although even that one included several summers and one full year actually spent somewhere else, even if the check looked the same).

Climb01742
03-24-2007, 04:09 PM
ginger, your situation is something i think about alot. as a company grows, how does it not lose it's soul? how do you keep the people who made you successful in the early years happy, challenged, rewarded? our little company is about to celebrate our 6th anniversary. what was 4 guys in an actual garage is now almost 60 people. in some areas and ways, we're better. in a few ways -- spirit, soul ways -- we've already lost a little of what was so special when there was only a handful of us and every day could have been our last day if we didn't bust our butts. this stuff really does keep me up at night. i really want to build a company that is "humane capitalism". and i want to grow without sucking. a famous ad agency founder once asked, how big can an agency get before we suck?

C5 Snowboarder
03-24-2007, 05:01 PM
ginger, your situation is something i think about alot. as a company grows, how does it not lose it's soul? how do you keep the people who made you successful in the early years happy, challenged, rewarded? our little company is about to celebrate our 6th anniversary. what was 4 guys in an actual garage is now almost 60 people. in some areas and ways, we're better. in a few ways -- spirit, soul ways -- we've already lost a little of what was so special when there was only a handful of us and every day could have been our last day if we didn't bust our butts. this stuff really does keep me up at night. i really want to build a company that is "humane capitalism". and i want to grow without sucking. a famous ad agency founder once asked, how big can an agency get before we suck?

Good question on the "Soul". Here is my case history of one company with which I spent 10 years. At approx 44 yrs old I was hired as Engineering manager as #26 person in the small company-- I was a working engineer type where I managed 2 people 10% of the time and designed 90% of the time. We struggled and went thru a layoff of a few, almost closed the doors, and then one of our products took off. This product which was originally spec'd to build approx 200-300 units a month went to 5000 units a month. Things were good and going bigger -- we hired a bunch of people, moved to new building, another product took off and we had to move again. Hired more people, moved ½ the company to another building so we were now in 2 building with 1200 people. Somewhere along the way we lost the “soul” when the top management adopted a “Harvard” attitude after their stock options made them multi millionaires, and the rest of us were now expendable. I was now approaching 53 years old and I saw the writing on the wall. You see at this time I was the oldest person in the company – the only one above 50. The picture became very clear after upper management would not let me hire a guy who I thought was the most qualified – they said hire him as a contractor but full time was out of the question, the candidate was 55 years old. The reason they gave is they did not believe he had enough experience in a certain field. BS… he had minimal experience but it was enough to do the job IMO. Two months later I was forced to train a new guy for the job who had no experience but was 30 years old. One year later I was part of a layoff because I was no longer needed. That “soul” was no longer there. No, I did not have an attitude at work, I did my job and did it well, I just did not need to do it with unpaid overtime as the younger group did. Anyway.. Somewhere along the way the company lost its “soul” that made it successful. I feel good about it though, I sold my stock options, took 2 ½ years off to play golf , snowboard, bike, and fish. What happened to the company you may wonder? – well they were sold not too long ago and most of the people were let go or quit. It was a good gig while it lasted, I learned a lot and they paid me very well. Too bad I got "old". I am now 60, work for a great company again, and love to go to work 5 days a week but only 40 hrs max. , I could retire but elect not to at this time - 1 or 2 more years maybe then part time till I am 66 is the plan.

I work so that I may live -- not live so that I may work