PDA

View Full Version : Warranty on Custom Wheels?

ThasFACE
03-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Something I have wondered about is warranties on custom wheels.

If I got someone to build up a wheelset for me, and there is some sort of problem with a component, is it generally true that I would be out of luck because the components are technically second-hand? Is there some sort of general rule? Or does it just depend on the builder?

Ligero
03-22-2007, 05:41 PM
If the builder you are buying from is a legitimate business then all of the manufacturers warranties apply.

Too Tall
03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
It is a personal service....kinda like your tailor or barrista. If you trust the person why would you even go "there"? Know who you are dealing with, make a connection. Just sayin'.

chrisroph
03-22-2007, 06:41 PM
product quality is WAY more important than warranty.

ergott
03-23-2007, 06:32 AM
This is mine, for your reference. I think it's similar to any quality builder out there whether they state it or not.

"My Warranty
If there is a manufacturer's defect within their designated warranty time, I will aid in the satisfaction of that claim. I guaranty my labor for the life of the wheels under intended use. If damage occurs outside of intended use, I will provide repair at discretion with a discounted rate."

If someone sends me new parts to build, I cannot apply the manufacturer's warranty because I do not know the channels in which said part was purchased and there is plenty or "grey" market on the "bay". I can't vouch for the parts unless I have a receipt from a legitimate vendor.

ergott
03-23-2007, 06:35 AM
In fact I just updated the language on my estimates/invoices

My Warranty
If there is a manufacturer's defect within their designated warranty time, I will aid in the satisfaction of that claim. I guaranty my labor for the life of the wheels under intended use. If damage occurs outside of intended use, I will provide repair at discretion with a discounted rate.

If customer sends me parts to build, I cannot apply the manufacturer's warranty to parts unless I have a receipt from a legitimate vendor.

What do you think?

atmo
03-23-2007, 06:41 AM
In fact I just updated the language on my estimates/invoices

My Warranty
If there is a manufacturer's defect within their designated warranty time, I will aid in the satisfaction of that claim. I guaranty my labor for the life of the wheels under intended use. If damage occurs outside of intended use, I will provide repair at discretion with a discounted rate.

If customer sends me parts to build, I cannot apply the manufacturer's warranty to parts unless I have a receipt from a legitimate vendor.

What do you think?
works here atmo.
i may even go so far as to have the client
take up the claim with his supply chain.
but better yet, you should be the supply
chain and remove yourself from all this.
build only with parts that you sell atmo.

ergott
03-23-2007, 07:02 AM
works here atmo.
i may even go so far as to have the client
take up the claim with his supply chain.
but better yet, you should be the supply

I hear ya. I do have customers that have perfectly good hubs rebuilt (Campy and Phil Wood etc). As far as new parts, I definitely see where you are coming from.

My Warranty

Customer supplied parts must go through their own channels for warranty work.

atmo
03-23-2007, 07:07 AM
I hear ya. I do have customers that have perfectly good hubs rebuilt (Campy and Phil Wood etc). As far as new parts, I definitely see where you are coming from.
ya' can't use the word rebuilt and manufacturer's warranty in the same sentence atmo!

SPOKE
03-23-2007, 07:09 AM
...... you should be the supply

Well put ATMO, i've been down the road a couple times with customers that bring me parts to use on a build. no matter what you tell the person up front you automatically take "ownership" of the parts and worksmanship. the only way i'll do work like this now is for really close friends and family. regular paying customers that appreciate what i do and how i do it will allow me to supply the parts necessary for the build or repair.

ergott
03-23-2007, 07:12 AM
ya' can't use the word rebuilt and manufacturer's warranty in the same sentence atmo!

I should have left well enough alone;-)

"My Warranty
If there is a manufacturer's defect within their designated warranty time, I will aid in the satisfaction of that claim. I guaranty my labor for the life of the wheels under intended use. If damage occurs outside of intended use, I will provide repair at discretion with a discounted rate."