PDA

View Full Version : may i visit your lunchtable atmo?

atmo
03-22-2007, 01:00 PM
my wife, aka the lovely deb, mentioned the word tofu
in a sentence today wrt dinner. that is not good atmo.

help.

roman meal
03-22-2007, 01:04 PM

help.

If you get into the Subaru now, you can both get to the Ruth's Chris steak house near Hartford by dinner. It's on the same road as Hooters.

You might need duct tape.

victoryfactory
Real men eat Tofu, atmo

VF

37 years a vegetarian

goonster
Make your peace with it.

Soybean curd is the new cheese. :beer:

zeroking17
03-22-2007, 01:12 PM

help.

Relax. She's probably just working a cross-word puzzle.

coylifut
03-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Tofu is best left to Asian chefs. Szechwan bean curd is a winner.

jmewkill
03-22-2007, 01:20 PM
The lovely Deb has your best interests in mind.

However, insist on a solid happy hour to improve the palate.

I missed you guys.

David Kirk
03-22-2007, 01:37 PM
You're headed to Outback-town.

Dave

Bud
03-22-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm eating lunch right now. Come on over...

Actually, tofu isn't bad if prepared properly. I would supplement with a malted grain beverage, preferably heavily hopped.

DWF
03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
The lovely Deb has your best interests in mind.

However, insist on a solid happy hour to improve the palate.

I missed you guys.
I've heard of you. Your first name is Dean, right?

SoCalSteve
03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
ATMO,

Anytime you need a pastrami fix, head to Los Angeles..They are on me!

Steve

gt6267a
03-22-2007, 02:33 PM

help.

a number of asian restaurants have lovely tofu and meat dishes with delish brown gravies. as long as there is meat in the dish, tofu is not that bad. kind of like a white and oddly shaped vegetable.

cadence90
03-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Your wife is smart.
I am now a tofu convert, by mandate.
I can assure you that there is coffee shop in LA that has tofu muffins that would make you give up twizzlers just. like. that.

Louis
03-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Pad Thai is awesome.

If someone tells you they still haven't had good tofu after eating that they are nuts.

DWF
03-22-2007, 02:52 PM

help.
Tofu = A handful of dollar bills at the strip club.
Meat = Getting laid.

Don't blame me, blame Archibald.

stevep
03-22-2007, 03:11 PM
condolences atmo.
you need a refrigerator in the workshop.
step up and be a man.

Serpico
03-22-2007, 03:19 PM

help.
you'll be fine, it's about osmosis

as long as the tofu is in something good it will taste fine. if you are making tofu scrambler or some tofu-based platter--well, then you're fuXor'd

know this: everyone is pulling for you

jmewkill
03-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I've heard of you. Your first name is Dean, right?

A great drunk once said - um, never mind.

tofu has many uses, just not as food.

Louis
03-22-2007, 03:24 PM
tofu has many uses, just not as food.

Such as? Chamois cream?

bcm119
03-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Plain tofu doesn't taste like much. The trick is to infuse other flavors in it, which is difficult and generally not worth the time at home... Coy is right, its best left to asian chefs. But if you must do it at home, look up some methods of marinating it and/or frying it to make it taste good; otherwise its just a protein supplement.

Some of those trendy tofu-this and tofu-that products are pretty good, but they all would be even better without the tofu, atmo.

atmo
03-22-2007, 03:35 PM
update -
there is talk of a bed of arugula with the unmentionable
food item atmo. i have stocked up on some sam adams
and a double bag of party mix atmo. see example:

http://www.dvo.com/recipes_archive/party_mix.jpg

swoop
03-22-2007, 03:39 PM
don't fight the fu. the fu is all around us. it surrounds us. it penatrates us. you must feel the fu all around you.

Jeff Weir
03-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Knock it off and take it like a man.

Just be sure you are wearing a fresh pair of Depends tomorrow.

stevep
03-22-2007, 03:44 PM
feel bad for me atmo.
i have to eat a big t-bone steak tonight and i may not be able to finish it.
i will ups down whtever i cannot finish.

AgilisMerlin
03-22-2007, 03:45 PM
you have to be one with the tofu

and the tofu will be one wit' you

bigbill
03-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Bigbill in Hawaii here. I am surrounded by tofu based foods on a daily basis. I have fought the good fight for over two years so far. The only asian influence that will stick with me is green tea. I do drink my tea out of a Dresser-Rand Industrial Air Compressor logo coffee mug, so I still feel like a man.

Bud_E
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM
What would Ann do ? (http://politics.netscape.com/story/2007/03/01/ann-coulter-let-the-libs-eat-tofu)

atmo
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM
i have decided to be the fu and study with my new pals atmo -

http://oc.smugmug.com/photos/39575577-S.jpg

97CSI
03-22-2007, 03:50 PM
"Men who ate the most tofu during their mid-40s to mid-60s showed the most signs of mental deterioration in their mid-70s to early 90s. The consumption of tofu two or more times per week was detrimental to brain function, according to a study published in the April issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition.

The new tofu study finds that poor cognitive test performance, and two measures of brain atrophy or shrinkage were associated with higher midlife tofu consumption among men. The cognitive tests measure attention, concentration, memory, judgement and several other indicators of brain function."

Makes you stupid. Take me to Smith & Wollensky. Open a nice bottle of Klinker Brick. Salute.

atmo
03-22-2007, 04:29 PM
"Men who ate the most tofu during their mid-40s to mid-60s showed the most signs of mental deterioration in their mid-70s to early 90s. The consumption of tofu two or more times per week was detrimental to brain function, according to a study published in the April issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition.

The new tofu study finds that poor cognitive test performance, and two measures of brain atrophy or shrinkage were associated with higher midlife tofu consumption among men. The cognitive tests measure attention, concentration, memory, judgement and several other indicators of brain function."

Makes you stupid. Take me to Smith & Wollensky. Open a nice bottle of Klinker Brick. Salute.
let's meet (meat) at peter luger's atmo.

97CSI
03-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Brooklyn or Great Neck? Last time up to the city had an excellent piece of almost raw meat (yummmmmm - just show it the fire, don't actually put it on) at Michael Jordan's in the train station. Excellent cab to help it go down. Just tell me when. We'll ask for some small amout of tofu on our Ceasar salad to keep the wife happy.

atmo
03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Brooklyn or Great Neck? Last time up to the city had an excellent piece of almost raw meat (yummmmmm - just show it the fire, don't actually put it on) at Michael Jordan's in the train station. Excellent cab to help it go down. Just tell me when. We'll ask for some small amout of tofu on our Ceasar salad to keep the wife happy.
i've only been to the great neck one atmo.

tad3
03-22-2007, 05:01 PM
disguised as a hamburger, and tofu for dinner disguised as cheese on my salad. In between, I rode 40 miles on an absolutely exquisite Richard Sachs bicycle in the spendid, blue-sky, 75 degree east-central Florida weather. One of the perqs of retirement is the weekday afternoon ride, when the school buses are plying their trade, and the traffic is reasonably responsible.

Tom Donahue
Melbourne, FL

atmo
03-22-2007, 05:13 PM
i have a bb and a seat lug to braze and then it's
a wrap for the night. if you don't hear from me,
no worries - click here (http://www.missingrichard.com/) atmo.

manet
03-22-2007, 05:29 PM
oh gee-sus please not you of the freakin buffalo bill youtube fan club ear ring sensibility crying about toilet paper spooled incorrectly ... learn to please your spouse not whine about her. it's not like she's axing for you to screw on a s/s headbadge.

firm tofu well drained, sliced in 1/2'' thick slabs, marinated (you pick it) grilled along with sliced yellow patty pan squash and sandwiched between a couple of pcs of french peasant bread ... that's a sandwich.

stevep
03-22-2007, 05:36 PM
disguised as a hamburger, and tofu for dinner disguised as cheese on my salad. In between, I rode 40 miles on an absolutely exquisite Richard Sachs bicycle in the spendid, blue-sky, 75 degree east-central Florida weather. One of the perqs of retirement is the weekday afternoon ride, when the school buses are plying their trade, and the traffic is reasonably responsible.

Tom Donahue
Melbourne, FL

doesnt sound so bad t.
be me in a couple of years.
keep enjoying it.

Hysbrian
03-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh no...I'm sure you've been through this with Adam right.

If not I'm sure he can give you some great cooking tips.

[Insert HEAVY sarcasm throughout]

atmo
03-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Oh no...I'm sure you've been through this with Adam right.

If not I'm sure he can give you some great cooking tips.

[Insert HEAVY sarcasm throughout]
beautiful meat dishes make me cry atmo.

catulle
03-22-2007, 06:01 PM
So delicate and aromatic; it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, atmo... Yummy...

shinomaster
03-22-2007, 06:20 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=27342

rwsaunders
03-22-2007, 06:43 PM
The following is a picture of:

1. Spam
2. French toast
3. Tofu
4. All of the above

sailorboy
03-22-2007, 06:43 PM
I say make a strong stand and nip this in the bud...you let the tofu in now and fast forward 2 weeks you'll be strapped down getting a green tea high-colonic cleansing from some guy named Sanjaya.

97CSI
03-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I'll take this...............

catulle
03-22-2007, 06:47 PM
The following is a picture of:

1. Spam
2. French toast
3. Tofu
4. All of the above

#4...?

atmo
03-22-2007, 07:03 PM
I say make a strong stand and nip this in the bud...you let the tofu in now and fast forward 2 weeks you'll be strapped down getting a green tea high-colonic cleansing from some guy named Sanjaya.
hey i can dig that atmo.

but seriously -
i survived atmo. i mean i did call 911 and let them stay
on hold while i had dinner, but at the end of it all i took
my bowl to the sink like i do each night and i became the
greek god i am known as (say it fast): dodishes. and i
used extra ivory soap just in case...

the meal itself was quite enjoyable. my wife, aka the lovely deb,
made a separate rice dish, and the unmentionable food was prepared
with garlic and spinach, with some sorta sesame jizz atop. when i
prepared my bowl, all food items were assembled vertically because
i was not interested in actually seeing the you-know-what in my
favorite wooden bowl. add some kikoman and a pile of pulverated
party mix, and - viola, i created my own middle eastern slash
asian tailgate party. as heck the taste wasn't so bad once all the
items had a chance to do the meet and greet in the bowl. some
of it even grazed the roof of my mouth as it went throatward.

at the end of the day, it was much ado about nothing; 'just me
being a weenie. as she is known to be, deb was right. the meal
was enjoyable atmo.

J.Greene
03-22-2007, 07:15 PM
the meal
was enjoyable atmo.

when we get to greensboro, I'm buying you MAN FOOD atmo.

JG

atmo
03-22-2007, 07:21 PM
when we get to greensboro, I'm buying you MAN FOOD atmo.

JG
vintage is dead.
i cancelled my room at the battleground.
i'll be at canyon ranch in arizona atmo.

i have seen the fu.

J.Greene
03-22-2007, 07:32 PM
vintage is dead.
i cancelled my room at the battleground.
i'll be at canyon ranch in arizona atmo.

i have seen the fu.

too much travel for your stays

jg

Karin Kirk
03-22-2007, 07:32 PM
the meal itself was quite enjoyable. my wife, aka the lovely deb,
made a separate rice dish, and the unmentionable food was prepared
with garlic and spinach ...

Too funny! Gotta love the dinnertime narrative. Well-written and highly entertaining, atmo.

I am impressed re: dodishes. Or is it dude-ishes?
Anyway, I dig dudes who do dishes.

AgilisMerlin
03-22-2007, 07:38 PM
i like tofu
it gives me gas
it keeps me and the mrs. warm under the covers
i like tofu

a poem

Louis
03-22-2007, 07:51 PM
the meal was enjoyable atmo.

Only the first step down the proverbial slippery slope.

ATMO, how do you pronounce V-E-G-A-N ???

Cycling content:

In my case, cycling was directly involved in me becoming a vegetarian. I've always liked animals (the live kind) and for ages while out cycling I'd say "Hello" to horses and cows on my route. One day, a few minutes after saying hello to some beef cows, I thought "You know, it's just not right to be nice to these guys one day, then a few weeks later happily munch on them in a burger." From that moment on I haven't consciously eaten meat, fish, bird, whatever...

I'll tell you one thing, it makes cooking a heck of a lot easier, and eating out a lot healthier.

Louis

atmo
03-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Only the first step down the proverbial slippery slope.

ATMO, how do you pronounce V-E-G-A-N ???

Cycling content:

In my case, cycling was directly involved in me becoming a vegetarian. I've always liked animals (the live kind) and for ages while out cycling I'd say "Hello" to horses and cows on my route. One day, a few minutes after saying hello to some beef cows, I thought "You know, it's just not right to be nice to these guys one day, then a few weeks later happily munch on them in a burger." From that moment on I haven't consciously eaten meat, fish, bird, whatever...

I'll tell you one thing, it makes cooking a heck of a lot easier, and eating out a lot healthier.

Louis

i say hello to twizzlers and then i eat them asap atmo.

Ginger
03-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Yay! You survived the Tofu!

Do you like TexMex food?
If you like I can send Deb an excellent Tofu Broccoli Enchilada recipe that I have...mmmmmm good! Dont' worry...you can always add more cheese.

:)

Good bar-b-que tofu is good too...

roman meal
03-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Yay! You survived the Tofu!

Do you like TexMex food?
If you like I can send Deb an excellent Tofu Broccoli Enchilada recipe that I have...mmmmmm good! Dont' worry...you can always add more cheese.

Good bar-b-que tofu is good too...

OMG, atmo, can't you see that this asian tailgate experiment was the gateway drug?

You are establishing a precedent. You cannot unring the bell. Sneak the tofu to Spencer,

Go up to Hartford for the seared filet mignon and a plate of potatoes au gratin and a plate of peas. Its Amityville-Get out of the house, while you still can.

Do you think that Sinatra got that much tail by eating tofu?

atmo
03-22-2007, 08:24 PM
tomorrow i get in touch with my inner sinatra atmo -

http://www.krstarica.com/slike/kuvar/glavna_jela/hamburger_rokfor.jpg

Birddog
03-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Tofu Broccoli Enchilada recipe
Just because it's wrapped in a tortilla, it doesn't make it an enchilada! That's a Californification if I've ever heard of one. I don't care if it is tasty.

Birddog

PBWrench
03-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Me thinks thou doth protest too much. Fess up.

obtuse
03-22-2007, 09:06 PM
In my case, cycling was directly involved in me becoming a vegetarian.

Louis

being descended from people with no history of culinary competence is what made you a vegetarian. evey single white vegetarian without exception is from english, irish or some other hurting stock. you never meet an italian or a french or a spanish vegetarian.

people who eat to live are willing to forego overcooked boiled meat. people who live to eat ain't giving up foie gras imho bro.

i'm eating chicons right now. cooked in lard and wrapped in ham.

obtuse

roman meal
03-22-2007, 09:09 PM
tomorrow i get in touch with my inner sinatra atmo -

http://www.krstarica.com/slike/kuvar/glavna_jela/hamburger_rokfor.jpg

Yes.. He's not waiting for a plate of tofu.

Ginger
03-22-2007, 09:22 PM

Louis
03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
being descended from people with no history of culinary competence is what made you a vegetarian. evey single white vegetarian without exception is from english, irish or some other hurting stock. you never meet an italian or a french or a spanish vegetarian

That's 100% true on my mother's side and 100% false on my father's side.

My father's Haitian and I was born and grew up in Haiti, eating the best "diriz, griot, banann peze" (rice and beans, fried pork and plantains) and creole seafood you can imagine.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8805&stc=1

DWF
03-22-2007, 09:29 PM
being descended from people with no history of culinary competence is what made you a vegetarian. evey single white vegetarian without exception is from english, irish or some other hurting stock.
obtuse
Go easy, that's my dog you're kicking....

RIHans
03-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Well, As a chef, I can understand the whole tofu thing..Tastes like whatever, good for you, price point. But Dry Aged Beef..Take your tofu and...Try cookin' Tofu au Poivre!
Glad ya did the right thing....Sesame oil and asian hints always help. Look forward to next week!

Ginger
03-23-2007, 07:23 AM
tofu au Poivre?

Um....I think I have a recipe for that. ATMO, let me know if Deb would like that one too...

No. You're right. It's NOT the same.

Steak tonight for this girl.

obtuse
03-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Go easy, that's my dog you're kicking....

mine too. i'm a quarter dunn with this thread anyway. i'll edit it to read scottish so i'll just be kicking my wife; cool?

obtuse

catulle
03-23-2007, 08:22 AM
I'd say spaghetti is a few rungs beneath tofu in the human food chain, atmo... :bike:

julia
03-23-2007, 08:32 AM
mine too. i'm a quarter dunn with this thread anyway. i'll edit it to read scottish so i'll just be kicking my wife; cool?

obtuse

haggis?

DWF
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM

obtuse
You'll get me from both sides. Scots-Irish. Bananarama

Ginger
03-23-2007, 09:41 AM
So is that why I go vegetarian occasionally?

Scottish, Welsh, Irish, English, German (from Alsace...some sort of French horse theif who got kicked out of France and sent to the new world...yep...I could be a Daughter of the American Revolution...I don't think that's what they had in mind though...), Bohemian (yeah...I'm think'n gypsy there...Grandma didn't talk much about Grandpa)

It's all so clear now. Thanks!

Elefantino
03-23-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd say spaghetti is a few rungs beneath tofu in the human food chain, atmo... :bike:

This one is just tooooooo obvious:

Spaghetti: Campy

Tofu: Shimano

I don't know what SRAM would be. French fries?

PBWrench
03-23-2007, 12:22 PM
As long as it's American food!

Ozz
03-23-2007, 12:35 PM
if you don't like tofu, try this stuff:http://www.quorn.com/

It's ok, really. :cool:

You might even try Morningstar Farms "sausage" links...

I love my meat, but I live in house with vegatarians....I do what I have to.

OT - I was at a presentation by an economist a couple weeks ago, and he was going on about ethanol as a fuel, using corn to make it and such....I loved his comment about how cows and chickens are just machines that turn corn into meat. Anyway, his point was that as corn is used to produce fuel, the price of feed for meat will rise, as will food prices....$15 a pound for hamburger anyone? :crap:

Kevan
03-23-2007, 12:41 PM
i have decided to be the fu and study with my new pals atmo -

My talented wife, who usually knocks'm out of the park, decided one evening to make a new dish, a lasagna with assorted cheeses and portobello mushrooms. One bite, she pushes the plate away and she exclaimed, "This is too cheesy and mushroom flavored!"

Umm...yes dear.

atmo
03-23-2007, 12:53 PM
My talented wife, who usually knocks'm out of the park, decided one evening to make a new dish, a lasagna with assorted cheeses and portobello mushrooms. One bite, she pushes the plate away and she exclaimed, "This is too cheesy and mushroom flavored!"

Umm...yes dear.
around here we say hello to the lasagnas in the field
before we proceed to slaughter and eat them atmo.

catulle
03-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Around here we travel to Portobello and a lot farther with a single mushroom, atmo...

Ginger
03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Quorn...interesting stuff...

However...these companies that market things like Chicken tender-style quorn and Tofurky...

Why do they have to equate what they're making with meat? How about
Quorn tenders
Baked Tofu

It's like calling rice milk milk...it isn't milk -- it's a rice beverage.

Sure there's the whole getting the consumer to be able to relate to what you're selling in familiar terms, but I don't understand why they need to label any of it as meat or dairy products. This creation of expectation turns quite a few people away from that sort of product. "Ok, I'm going to have this funky vegetarian turkey...HEY, that's so nothing like turkey that it's gross."

Ginger

(Who has a fantastic millet burger recipe for anyone who wants it...mmmm millet burgers...they're cute, they use beets so they're pink...it's spring, time for something light!)