PDA

View Full Version : Singer Style Bar Wrapping?

bobscott
03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Chris Kulczycki in his consistently enjoyable Velo Orange Blog recently discussed a style of bar wrapping attributed to Alex Singer. The URL is:

http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006/03/wrapping-handlebars-alex-singer-style.html

Briefly, each side of the handlebars is wrapped with two starting points rather than the usual single bar end starting point. The bars are first wrapped in the traditional manner up from their end to the brake lever. Then a change is instituted and they are wrapped from the top center next to the stem down to the brake lever.

The main advantage of this is that it eliminates the need for finishing tape where traditional taping stops next to the stem. Makes for a rather neat appearence to my eye.

That said, I bow to the forum's group wisdom and thoughts on this style of bar wrapping.
bobscott

obtuse
03-22-2007, 12:28 PM
it's really awesome for when you're building bikes for a show or something and like an idiot you've forgotten electrical tape....but for most other purposes it sucks.

obtuse

ChrisK
03-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I've been using it on my bikes and it works great. Though some folks do seem to like the look of electrical tape.

djg
03-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Chris Kulczycki in his consistently enjoyable Velo Orange Blog recently discussed a style of bar wrapping attributed to Alex Singer. The URL is:

http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006/03/wrapping-handlebars-alex-singer-style.html

Briefly, each side of the handlebars is wrapped with two starting points rather than the usual single bar end starting point. The bars are first wrapped in the traditional manner up from their end to the brake lever. Then a change is instituted and they are wrapped from the top center next to the stem down to the brake lever.

The main advantage of this is that it eliminates the need for finishing tape where traditional taping stops next to the stem. Makes for a rather neat appearence to my eye.

That said, I bow to the forum's group wisdom and thoughts on this style of bar wrapping.
bobscott

Doesn't that just create the same problem you'd get if you taped with one length of tape, starting near the center? I mean, I thought the idea was to avoid a cascade of open edges so that, in places where you might press down or out, you wouldn't be pushing up the edges of the tape.

bobscott
03-22-2007, 03:00 PM
A cascade in the wrong direction was my main concern, as well. Makes me wonder if this was largely done on bikes with shellaced bars. But this seems to be more of a problem with the cork tapes with feathered edges and a strip adhesive down the middle. Chris is using cloth tape which has adhesive across its width and no feathered edge.
bobscott

sg8357
03-23-2007, 08:37 AM
For cloth tape, soak the adhesive off the tape.
Then wrap the tape wet, so it shrinks to fit.
Glue the ends with Gorilla glue, the glue need dampness to stick.
Use some twine to hold the ends in place, remove when dry.
Cork the ends of the bars.
Shellac to taste.

or use Shaker chair tape to wrap the bars

Scott G.

Too Tall
03-23-2007, 08:57 AM
sg8357 - Love it :)

PaulHarvey(tm)
http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/63.htm

fierte_poser
03-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Good thread from last year:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7871

victoryfactory
03-23-2007, 09:12 AM
A friend of mine recently saw somebody who uses
Shrink Tubing!
You know, the stuff you use to finish off electrical
wiring.
So we ordered up some 1-1/2" size
I guess you cut it and slip it over the bars, then
shrink it down tight with a heat gun.
Sounds like it may make for a neat look.

I will try it soon and post a photo the results.
It sounds interesting....

VF

DWF
03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
A friend of mine recently saw somebody who uses
Shrink Tubing!
You know, the stuff you use to finish off electrical
wiring.
So we ordered up some 1-1/2" size
I guess you cut it and slip it over the bars, then
shrink it down tight with a heat gun.
Sounds like it may make for a neat look.

I will try it soon and post a photo the results.
It sounds interesting....

VF
I was doing that almost 10-years ago! The trick is you have to put the heat shrink on before you install your levers and whatnot, which makes it a slightly larger PITA when you just want to freshen your tape. Another tip is to make a concentrating nozzle for your heat gun, you have to be careful where you apply the heat. I understand that they have heat shrink tape now that you can apply like regular tape and then shrink seal it but I haven't gotten my hands on any yet. Heat shrink tubing is very cool looking when done right, will never come undone, and comes in lots and lots o' pretty colors that will satisfy your inner interior decorator.