PDA

View Full Version : Legend Ti - first ride...nice!

tiger
03-22-2007, 11:33 AM
30 MPH wind gusts, but it was warm and dry out so I finally got to ride my new-to-me Legend Ti today, rescuing it from the trainer where it has heretofore spent quality (but sweaty) time with me.

I purchased the frame this winter used with a Reynolds fork from Guy Intense on the forums - smooth transaction and bike in excellent used condition as described. Built up with Shimano Ultrgra Triple 10 speed with Bontrager Race Lite wheels and parts formerly on my Dean Ti bike. The Legend is a 2000 or 2001 frame. No pics - too boring to bother - unpainted polished Ti with dark green (almost black) decals. Very understated.

Hard to describe the ride, but I like it :D . Just the right amount of stiffness and road feel, snappy out of the saddle, dead stable on the downhills and easy to ride no-hands. Of course, with 30mph gusts keeping to within 3 feet of my line was a struggle, so really couldn't let 'er rip on the downhills...

Perhaps it's the positive psychology of the "Serotta" stickers more than my objective senses, but I really like this bike! It is numero uno in the current stable (Serotta Legend, Trek Madone, Landshark, Cannondale cylclocross), but there's a Kirk Terraplane at JBs right now with my name on it...they'll be very different bikes, and I look forward to a summer of comparing the two. :banana:

I have a very understanding wife...says the bikes are OK as long as it's less money each year than if I golfed...but I think the stable size has reached it's cap. Even I have a limit...

Soon to have a 56.5 TT Dean titanium frameset for sale. Said I'd never get rid of it, but the Serotta does trump it. The Dean has a slightly less stiff (and probably more compliant) ride than the Legend, and is a great frame in it's own right.

victoryfactory
03-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Good luck with your Legend. My Legend is my favorite ride
ever.
You say it's a little stiffer than the Dean? Hmmm...
Maybe you have the OS Down Tube there.

VF

tiger
03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Less BB flex than the Dean (which doesn't have much). The Dean has the OS DT. Tough to tell on crappy frost-heaved roads, but my perception is that the Dean soaks up the bumps slightly smoother, but nothing that a 5-10psi difference in tire pressure wouldn't overwhelm.

93legendti
03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Do you have any photos you can post?

tiger
03-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Do you have any photos you can post?
No pics of the Legend yet...have to wait for the next sunny day around these parts...