AgilisMerlin
03-21-2007, 06:21 PM
12 year old ch. lab

put her to sleep at the end of the day.

i am depressed and mournful.

my other lab is wondering what is up.

Kirk007
03-21-2007, 06:26 PM
the connection between us humans and pets, particulary I think dogs, runs so deep. She'll always be part of you - hang tight with with your other lab.

Greg

atmo
03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
our little guy is 13 and a bundle of
love, and we know that love the lasts
even though the body doesn't atmo.

good thoughts to you pal, and to yours.

Louis
03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Sorry to hear that. The best you can do for pets is give them a good life when they are with you and appreciate all the joy they bring into your life.

Remember the good times and the pain will fade, but the good memories will stay forever.

Louis

chuckroast
03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
God bless you, it's hard I know. We had to put down the one our kids grew up with at the age of 13 in 2004. I know it's tough now but take some comfort that your dog isn't suffering any more.

Not now, but when it's time and respectful, you might think about rescueing a new puppy.

Len J
03-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Sorry for your loss......

I've had to do this to more than a few dear pets.....it's never easy.

....But it is the cost of caring, and the rewards are many.

Len

ThasFACE
03-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about that.

I would like to second the suggestion that, when the time is right, you consider a new puppy as a companion for your other lab.

BBB
03-21-2007, 06:47 PM
That's really bad news. Sorry to hear it.

The good thing is that labs tend to nearly always be happy and cheerful and your other lab should be able to cheer you up without really trying too hard.

Ginger
03-21-2007, 06:57 PM
There is a time, hard or not, that it is the right thing.

But it isn't an easy thing. Pet your other pup for me, k?

Mary Ann

cadence90
03-21-2007, 07:08 PM
It hurts every time, AM.

I and my hounds send our kindest thoughts to you and yours.

Ken Robb
03-21-2007, 07:14 PM
My black lab made it to 13. It's sad that big dogs rarely get much older than that. I spent a lot of time after she left down at the local shelter playing with the orphans. It helped but I still miss her even with the 2 Bichons that Leslie brought into my life.

Smiley
03-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Your dog like others here has crossed over the rainbow bridge. I feel your pain.

coylifut
03-21-2007, 08:21 PM
take care my friend. i'm crazy in love with my two. i know that day will come and i also know i won't be ready for it.

dauwhe
03-21-2007, 08:39 PM
So sad, such a hard thing... we had to do it in January with our 13 1/2 year old Black Lab/Border Collie mix. I think of him every day; it still hurts, but we did the right thing. And horrible as the pain was and is, it's vastly outweighed by the memories and joys he brought us...

Dave

Louis
03-21-2007, 08:54 PM
One way I think of this is that they appreciate the time they have with us and then move on. It's all part of the cycle of life.

We grieve and miss them when they leave us, but enjoy the memories of the times we shared.

chakatrain
03-21-2007, 09:05 PM
sorry to hear that. Losing pets sure stinks.

DWF
03-21-2007, 09:06 PM
I feel for you. We have one of our five dogs on her death bed too; suffering from kidney failure. She's part shepherd and part something else. 15 years old and pretty shaky but can still move around and she still looks up and wags her tail when you say her name even if she won't come running or chase the squirrels anymore. Some days are a lot worse than others. Every morning I expect to find she's passed and she always surprises me. We talk about putting her down, but she doesn't seem to be in any pain, just very, very, old for a big dog. I hope she goes peacefully.

djg
03-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Sorry to hear it. It's hard. I'll bet your dog had a good life, and that the other lab will be fine after a while. Hang in there.

Tailwinds
03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I share your grief. I had to put my kitty Symba to sleep last week (kidney failure). She was my baby. I have an enormous hole in my heart. She had been w/me almost 16 yrs. and through so many transitions in my life. The unconditional love of pets is far more pure than what we humans can muster. Our pets have a way of crawling right into our hearts and souls.

My other pets know. Animals are so intuitive, aren't they? Although -- it would take total ignorance not to pick up on my grief at this point. I am so sad and missing my little Symba, my baby who purred me to sleep almost every night.

Here's something that a forumite emailed to me last week:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

chuckred
03-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Hang in there - sorry to hear it.

William
03-22-2007, 04:15 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. It's tough and I don't think you really ever get over it. But they live on in your fond memories of all the times you've spent together with them. I had to put down my dog Slim in 01 and I still get a little teary when I think of him. 13 plus years together through thick and thin. Dogs are the best!

Take care,
William

Kevin
03-22-2007, 04:32 AM
We put the family dog down in October, it was extremely difficult. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Kevin

Climb01742
03-22-2007, 04:43 AM
i feel ya. wish i had words to ease the pain. it may seem hard to think about it now but when the time is right, a new pup might be a good idea. 6-month-old ed is helping me deal with losing 16-year-old sam 18 months ago. time, brother, time.

stevep
03-22-2007, 05:30 AM
sad.
we had to put peanut to sleep last week too.
wrenching.

jthurow
03-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I've been there and can empathize. I hope you and your family feel better soon.

jimi

mso
03-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Sorry for your loss. To me my pet is my one of the family and it hursts but time heals. Remember all the good times.

Sandy
03-22-2007, 10:13 AM
A uniquely special communication, love, and bond. That makes the loss so difficult. May your sadness be partially replaced by memories of the warmth and love that existed between you and your dog.

Sorry for your loss.

Sandy

wooly
03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
I was in your position last year when I had to put "Rocket" down. People on this forum responded overwhelmingly with a lot of support. It's hard right now but it will get easier over time. You'll have great memories forever.

A few months after putting our boy down, we adopted a dog from a local rescue. Great family member. He'll never replace Rocket but then again I don't he's supposed too. He just adds a completely new flavor to the family.

Good luck.

Ozz
03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
12 year old ch. lab

put her to sleep at the end of the day.

i am depressed and mournful.

my other lab is wondering what is up.
We lost one of our girls last August....similar experience with the remaining dog. She wouldn't go into the bed they shared during the day and we had to buy a new one.

It gets a little easier with time...sorry for your loss.

rwsaunders
03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I still get choked up thinking about my dog from when I was a kid. Sad to hear of your situation.

AgilisMerlin
03-22-2007, 07:44 PM
thanks all

my 3 year old lab is missing her also. She isn't the young one anymore.

It'll get better, thanks

mikki
03-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Hello.

I felt so sad to hear of your beloved dog having to be put to sleep. I know it is one of the most difficult decisions to make...one that tears your heartstrings. I am an animal lover and since I have no children, my animals have easily moved into the position of child/friend. However, I believe that is the most humane decision. It isn't fair to have your friend suffer. You did the right thing.

Your other dog may certainly be grieving too. The sister of my VERY loved abysiinnian cat was pretty miserable for several months. My husband and I (at my insistance) brought two baby kittens into her life and although she was mean and hateful at the beginning, she is no longer unhappy and they have put new energy and happiness into all of our lives...

I am going to ask God why he didn't have pets don't live as long as people....