PDA

View Full Version : DA Shifter Cable Routing...

orbea65
03-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Is anyone here using the cable routing where you have the shifter cable/housing looping under the handlebar tape just behind where the brifter is on the handlebar?? I seem to remember Zabel using this a while back. Does it work OK?? Does it work better if using something like a nokon housing to prevent kinks??
BTW, looks like the price on DA 10 groupos has dropped, easy to find for just over 1k. A couple hundred less than the current 07 Chorus groupo...

03-21-2007, 09:25 AM
No, it doesn't work especially well. The loop sooner or later tangles your hand at a critical point, it causes rapid wear on the bar tape where the cable housing goes underneath the tape, and it's a fairly tight turn that perhaps decreases cable smoothness a tad. I actually think that having the cables take a straight line in the standard DA setup and doing so where they aren't in your way is actually a pretty elegant way to do it. If you really don't like it, I'd just switch to Campy. Nobody on the ProTour is still using it -- it was just an experiment for those switching from Campy. And Nokon housing doesn't help it -- the edges of the Nokon housing abrade your gloves (or your hands) and cause even more tape wear. The Nokon housing also tends to develop corrosion blooms -- I've used it a number of times and never been happy with it in the end. If you have critical routing issues (like on a time trial bike) it's a different matter, but for daily use it just doesn't last well. The assembly isn't a problem once you've done it once or twice; it does really well at first but quickly doesn't outperform regular Shimano or Campy cable housing.

weiwentg
03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Does it work OK?? Does it work better if using something like a nokon housing to prevent kinks??

I'm pretty sure it will only work with Nokons. you can't bend standard cables that far without problems. the Nokons, at least, are designed to take sharp bends.

Jeff N.
03-21-2007, 01:24 PM
I think Dura Ace is coming out with an updated/new gruppo for '08, hence the lower prices to "clear it out". Oh, and DON'T run the cables under your bar tape. Not a good idea. Jeff N.

SoCalSteve
03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
I think Dura Ace is coming out with an updated/new gruppo for '08, hence the lower prices to "clear it out". Oh, and DON'T run the cables under your bar tape. Not a good idea. Jeff N.

Is this the group that has the gear shift opticals in the shifter tops and is part mechanical and part electronic?

I may pass.

Steve

PS: I am not sure how much more they could improve on the 7800 10 speed group. Its pretty much "right on the money" as it is.

SPOKE
03-21-2007, 08:13 PM
No, it doesn't work especially well. The loop sooner or later tangles your hand at a critical point, it causes rapid wear on the bar tape where the cable housing goes underneath the tape, and it's a fairly tight turn that perhaps decreases cable smoothness a tad. I actually think that having the cables take a straight line in the standard DA setup and doing so where they aren't in your way is actually a pretty elegant way to do it. If you really don't like it, I'd just switch to Campy. Nobody on the ProTour is still using it -- it was just an experiment for those switching from Campy. And Nokon housing doesn't help it -- the edges of the Nokon housing abrade your gloves (or your hands) and cause even more tape wear. The Nokon housing also tends to develop corrosion blooms -- I've used it a number of times and never been happy with it in the end. If you have critical routing issues (like on a time trial bike) it's a different matter, but for daily use it just doesn't last well. The assembly isn't a problem once you've done it once or twice; it does really well at first but quickly doesn't outperform regular Shimano or Campy cable housing.

+1 on the Nokon housing. just not what you really thought you paid for.

davidlee
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
I ran Nokon cables like you were asking about and they look and work killer. Ill try to uploasd a pic of it later . Its the ONLY way to go..

avalonracing
03-21-2007, 08:49 PM
I ran Nokon cables like you were asking about and they look and work killer. Ill try to uploasd a pic of it later . Its the ONLY way to go..

Come on with the picture... I've been waiting seven minutes already!
Seriously though, I'm pretty curious to check it out.

pdxmech13
03-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Downtube shifters will be the new llite weight option with 7850 series.

dirtdigger88
03-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Downtube shifters will be the new llite weight option with 7850 series.

http://www.bikesmart.com/products/SHTSHI_dura10downtube.jpg

the 7800s aint so heavy themselves :D

Jason

pdxmech13
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
word

Too Tall
03-22-2007, 07:07 AM
Yes there is a really good reason not to do this. FUGLY.

davidlee
03-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Here's one view.. Im telling you , everyone who sees and shifts it immediately buys a set on Nokons and gets me to route it like this for them. It looks so much cleaner .
FUGLY OR GLORIOUS?

davidlee
03-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Here's a few more...

orbea65
03-22-2007, 10:10 AM
I like it, but I can see myself crashing from getting my thumb tangled in in them... :)

SoCalSteve
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Will this routing ONLY work with Nokon cables? If not, will it work with the standard issue Dura Ace cables?

Thanks,

Steve

dave thompson
03-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Will this routing ONLY work with Nokon cables? If not, will it work with the standard issue Dura Ace cables?

Thanks,

Steve
Too sharp a bend to use with standard type cableing, have to use the Nokon style housing.

ATMO a PITA to get right and at $50 for a set of Nokon/Aztek derailluer housing, not a cheap experiment.

davidlee
03-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Yes you have to use Nokon...