PDA

View Full Version : **** Pound is going to flush the whole shebang down the toilet this year. OMFG. They

AgilisMerlin
03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
just threw the shytonthefan...................................

this is not gonna be good. This dude causes Rambo Style Damage...............http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/knight-1.gif

snipped cycling news:

Operación Puerto investigation not complete

WADA gets involved in hunt for full truth

By Shane Stokes

The World Anti-Doping Agency announced on Tuesday that it has requested the judge overseeing the Operación Puerto case to admit the body as a party to the investigation.

The move comes some two weeks after the UCI was granted similar status, and has been taken in order to allow WADA full access to the case file.

On Monday March 12, investigation judge Antonio Serrano stated that he was satisfied that doping practices had taken place, but nevertheless announced that the case would be dropped. The reason he gave was that "contrary to French and Italian legislation (...) at the time of the investigation Spanish law could not pursue anyone criminally for doping or practices linked to doping."

Two days later, the prosecutors appealed this decision, saying that they were satisfied that the actions by Eufemiano Fuentes and others contravened the guidelines of the Spanish public health ministry.

They said that the blood bags were handled and manipulated "in violation of the Spanish law on blood donation and blood banks," and that such manipulations should "only be performed under the authority of the institutions appointed by the ministry of health." The prosecutors also said that they considered that the investigations of judge Serrano were "not enough to shed a light on the facts, which appear to be of criminal nature."

In a statement released on Tuesday, WADA said that it wants to ensure that disciplinary proceedings are taken against those involved in doping. "Since Operation Puerto broke last May, WADA has been in contact with the Spanish government to encourage strong measures against doping and coordination of information with sports authorities,” read the communication. "More recently, in January, WADA President Richard W. Pound met with Spanish authorities in Spain.

"If WADA’s request is accepted, the Agency should have access to the case file. Following appeal of an initial refusal by the judge, the International Cycling Union (UCI) was accepted two weeks ago as a party to the case. The UCI also confirmed last week that it will proceed with its own investigation and with the determination of possible anti-doping rule violations. However, it is not clear which evidence can be used as of now, since the judge ruled last year that the evidence garnered from the investigation could not be used by sports authorities as the basis for punishing athletes until the criminal investigation is completed.”

It pointed out that under the WADA code, "anti-doping organizations such as the UCI can sanction "non-analytical” violations, i.e., violations which do not involve a positive doping control test, such as use or possession of prohibited substance and methods, trafficking or tampering.”

The statement concluded by saying that the anti-doping agency hopes that the judge will allow the entire file to be used for a sporting investigation. It pledged to continue to work with the Spanish authorities and what it terms 'the Sports Movement' so that evidence can be used to sanction cheats and remove them from competition.

TMB
03-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Sadly, **** Pound is a politician first, foremost and last. He is a politician and nothing but. He has not given up hope of becoming President of the IOC and currently has his sights set on the Presidency of the CAS.

He is a leech with redemption.

He has made the political calculation that his quyickest route to the top job at CAS is by taking pro and Olympic cycling down because it appear s that the UCI is the least organized and weakest politically of the various sport governing bodies.

In many cases it seems in fact that the UCI are helping Pound to destroy the sport.

I do not think Pound cares about sports, athletes or fans of the two. Pound is about Pound and advancing his own political agenda and if cycling ceases to exist as an olympic and pro sport in the course of his getting what he wants he will view it as a fair and low price.

Where on earth are the UCI??

Where is a powerful and organized riders' union??

AgilisMerlin
03-20-2007, 08:04 PM
will the calendar last till the Vuelta ?

I cannot believe he is getting his hands into Puerto..............can he actually sanction the riders..............?

TMB
03-20-2007, 08:09 PM
will the calendar last till the Vuelta ?

I cannot believe he is getting his hands into Puerto..............can he actually sanction the riders..............?

I actually doubt that the whole year racing calendar will be completed this year, and I suspect that certainly the Vuelta may be off the calendar, would not surprise me if the TdF was thrown off the calendar this year as well.

I do not know if he can sanction the riders aor not, but he doesn't have to.

A few more of his off the cuff, no background support "nazi frogmen" interviews will be enough to chase every respectable sponsor running from the sport.

One thing about **** Pound, he has never let pesky little things like facts get in the way of what he views as a "pithy" headline.

BBB
03-20-2007, 08:58 PM
I am not sure what the fuss is about. The UCI have previously said they wanted to continue the investigation based on the evidence before the Spanish Court on the basis that the investigations to date by national federations have proceeded without the benefit of that evidence. It should come as no surprise that WADA has become involved, although you would have thought the UCI looking into the matter would be sufficient.

The sport won't die because of Pound; it has been around far too long for that and if Pound pushes too much he may end up being pushed out.

pdxmech13
03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
looked what happened to X-files

you want the truth you can't handle the truth

mjb266
03-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I want Basso! Disco must be squirming

dreadpiratetim
03-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Basso ain't racing... he "hurt" his wrist.

stevep
03-21-2007, 05:38 AM
ive always said...this thing aint over.
just delayed by existing laws.

Too Tall
03-21-2007, 05:58 AM
Anybody want to bet WHEN pro riders strike?

sspielman
03-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Anybody want to bet WHEN pro riders strike?

Tour de France...as long as the sport is on a suicide mission, they might as well take out the main attraction....

BBB
03-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Does anyone seriously think the authorities, either the UCI or WADA, should not investigate? Pound's polemics should be seperated from what is clearly something that deserves serious consideration. After all the Spanish Judge did, to quote the cyclingnews article, find that doping practices had taken place.

As an aside, the world swimming championships are currently being held in Melbourne and a cocaine box containing a syringe and vials filled with a mystery liquid were found in the cupboard of a World Swimming Championships hotel. Should the relevant authority (FINA) just ignore it? Should the swimmers go on strike?

As long as there is doping there will be anti-doping authorities trying to stamp it out.