PDA

View Full Version : Cadence rim question

Chris
03-20-2007, 07:05 PM
I have a question for the wheelbuilders who have used the cadence aero rims. I have a pair and at a couple of spots near the nipples there are the slightest what I call "pings". These are just little pinpoint raises in the rim which only show up in the right glare. Almost like reverse door dings. Is this something I should be worried about? If it's no big deal, then I am cool with them. I think I have 3 on one rim and a couple on the other. If it means that the spokes are about to pull through and I am going to experience catstrophic wheel failure, then that might be a problem :)

fuzzalow
03-20-2007, 08:23 PM
I've built up a pair of Cadence Aeros. They are nice rims. Did you build these up yourself and do you know how much tension is wound into this wheel? Sounds like too uneven and too much. If it's a rear wheel it might be a necessary evil to get enough tension into the non-drive side, if it's a front wheel it sounds like either a bad build or making do with a rim that was manufactured slightly out of round - flat spots on new rims for me are the worst to build around and guarantee uneven tension in that wheel.

I don't think the spokes can pull through but maybe someone should check the tension around the wheel to see how even, or not, it is.

Chris
03-20-2007, 09:06 PM
I didn't build these up myself. They were built by a well-respected builder. I'm not ruling out improper tension, I just wouldn't expect that to be the case noting from whom they are coming. They are on the rear wheel.

fuzzalow
03-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Well the best thing is to check it over with the builder. A competent builder knows what variance in tension is acceptable to their build standards and presumably tensiometered the spokes to the spec range they were targeting for your wheel.

I don't see this reverse dimple on alloy rims as much but see it often on Zipps, especially Zipps that have bee tuned-up by ham fisted LBS gorillas. These guys true wheels only by adding more tension rather than redistributing allowable tension limits around the wheel to zero-in true. Zipps have tension limit that shouldn't be crossed but these guys treat it like an alloy rim - and so it goes.

Hope it works out.