PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - Ambrosio/Campy build ideas?

sbornia
03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
What's missing from this picture? Spokes....

http://www.mightypenmarketing.com/ambrec.jpg

28h Ambrosio Excellight rims with 28h Campy Record hubs. Looking for suggestions on different builds -- spokes, nipples, lacing, etc. etc. Not sure if I'll do it myself, or work with a local Oakland/Berkeley shop, so anything is possible.

TIA for your ideas!

weiwentg
03-20-2007, 08:09 PM

28h Ambrosio Excellight rims with 28h Campy Record hubs. Looking for suggestions on different builds -- spokes, nipples, lacing, etc. etc. Not sure if I'll do it myself, or work with a local Oakland/Berkeley shop, so anything is possible.

TIA for your ideas!

nice rims, nice hubs - go for nice spokes. I'd consider the Wheelsmith XE14 oval or Sapim CX-ray oval. the Wheelsmiths are $1.89 apiece from www.oddsandendos.com. The Sapims are $2.10 apiece from www.wheelbuilder.com (but Mike includes the nipples and Wheelbuilder doesn't). the DT Aerolites are also very nice spokes, but they are much more expensive than the other two. you can use either 2x or 3x with 28 holes, and I'd definitely use 3x on the drive side - that gives you the spoke/hub angle closest to 90 degrees. if you're in California, alloy nipples are fine - just use a spoke wrench that grabs all 4 sides of the nipple.

fuzzalow
03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Hey, a couple of wheel topics for home growns - there's hope yet!

I'd lace the fronts with 14/17 like Sapim Lasers in radial, the rear with 14/15 on the drive side and 14/17 on the non-drive side - cross 2 on both sides. Standard brass nipples - aluminum nipples are not worth the trouble and if the weight seems that important then do more intervals! There's no aero benefit in using cx-rays on a box section rim but I've done it because I liked the look. $2.50 a spoke for the vanity and I didn't mind paying. Lance says it isn't about the bike but that's easy for him to say because he's got the watts.

mjb266
03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I thought it was WWAD or WWJD?

sbornia
03-22-2007, 05:43 PM
bump. any more spoke suggestions from the wise forum veterans? i know you guys live and breathe wheels, especially hand-builts...

thanks for the ideas already posted. radial is no go for these campy hubs, and i'll definitely keep those WS and Sapim spokes in mind.

chrisroph
03-22-2007, 06:27 PM
DT 14-15 rear brass drive side, brass or alloy non-drive x3, revo alloy front x2. Cheap, solid, light enough, aero enough, fast enough if you have the legs.

coylifut
03-22-2007, 07:07 PM
DT 14-15 rear brass drive side, brass or alloy non-drive x3, revo alloy front x2. Cheap, solid, light enough, aero enough, fast enough if you have the legs.

I have 3 sets of handbuilts with that set up - everything chistoph says it is.

Bill Bove
03-22-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm a wheel simpleton, build 'em, ride 'em, trash 'em. That being said I have a pair of 28* Record hubs strung to some Campy rims, 2x, 14/15 all around with brass nipples. They are as light as Neutrons, maybe not as sexy and I haven't had to do anything but pump 'em up for years now but then neither have I had to do anything to the Neutrons.

I'm disapointed that Campy is no longer offering a 28* hub, it might have to do with the above mention of weight. I'm thinking a 36* hub laced to an 18* Veloctiy rim skipping every other hole in the hub. I watched Sheldon Brown commute on something like it for years with no problems and he is heavier than me.

dave thompson
03-22-2007, 07:53 PM

http://www.mightypenmarketing.com/ambrec.jpg

TIA for your ideas!
I have the same 28h Ambrosio rims laced to JoyTech hubs, laced front radial, rear 2X drive side and radial non-drive. The hubs are black so are the spokes and nipples.

dvancleve
03-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Here is what I would do. Front 2x using whatever 14/17g spokes you like/can easily get. Use alloy nipples if you feel like it and the rims have eyelets. Rear either 3x drive/2x non-drive using the same spokes with alloy nipples on the non-DS and brass on the DS, again if the rims have eyelets. If you aren't a lightweight, use 14/15g on the drive side. If the rims don't have eyelets use brass nipples all around. In my opinion the galling that occurs between the alloy of the rim and the alloy nipples is bad news, so I don't use alloy nipples in rims with bare holes any more.

Doug

TIA for your ideas!

stevep
03-23-2007, 05:13 AM
bring 'em to a decent wheelbuilder and tell him

" build 'em anyway you want, when can i pick em up?"