PDA

View Full Version : Joys of Clipless Pedals...

cookieguy
05-30-2004, 10:23 PM
I'm new to clipless pedals.....it seems that most every time I clip out of one of my pedals at a stop light it ends up being up side down....Is there some way to make certain they stay right side up? I find trying to flip a small pedal over a bit of a pain (my old clips & straps...that is easy enough to do without looking)

If it matters...my pedals are Campy record.

Kevin
05-31-2004, 06:12 AM
I use double sided pedals. (Speedplays) That way I never have the problem of the pedal being upside down.

Kevin

dnovo
05-31-2004, 06:50 AM
Try a different brand of pedal. If you are used to Campy Record, the newer Shimano SPD-DLs are very much like them in general use, but far easier to clip in and out of, work far better, and 'hang' right, so when you go to clip back in, you don't need to flip them over. They just introduced the third tier down from DA, so the prices are getting lower all the time. I have switched over from my Looks to the Shimanos, and everyone else I have spoken to who has done the same finds them an improvement. The Campy Records are a Look-alike, so the transition should be easy. Dave N.

Peter
05-31-2004, 07:31 AM
I've discovered some pedals are easier to flip into position. Or rather, how they get into position more nearly matches what I'm accustomed to so I get the hang of it easier.

I discovered this just like you have, on my first pair of clipless pedals, Looks. I never did get the hang of them; they were too hard for me to clip in, and too often I would locate the underside of the pedal instead of the topside, and my foot would cumbersomely slip off.

I found Shimano road SPDs much more to my liking.

So keep practicing and you'll either get the hang of it or you might try a different pedal which may "click" (no pun intended) with the way your brain works.

And as mentioned by Kevin, there's nothing wrong with using a double sided pedal on a road bike, even Time ATACs or Shimano SPDs. I find them virtually foolproof for step-in.

Hard Fit
05-31-2004, 09:01 AM
Not sure what you mean by upside down. The pedal should hang with the back part of the pedal at about 6:30, if you think of it like a clock. The motion you use to get in is to catch the front end of the pedal with your cleat. The pedal does NOT rest horizontally to the ground upside down or right-side up. If this is the case, the bearings are too tight.

Hard Fit

Elefantino
05-31-2004, 09:04 AM
When I first went to Looks from toeclips years ago, I had the same problem. I thought clipless pedals were awful. I had several Keystone Cops-like keel-overs before I got used to it.

The upward motion is key. If you have a stationary trainer, practice. If not, Practice with the other foot on the ground, or by leaning against a wall. You'll get it. At first it's unnatural, but then it's second nature.

And although I use Speedplay, I'd keep the Campy. They're good pedals, as long as they work ergonomically for you.

Mike

rwl
05-31-2004, 09:36 AM
Cookie,

It takes a much lighter touch with clipless, in general, to flip the pedal around, and it helps a bit to hit it a bit more with the toe of the shoe, rather than farther back towards the ball of the foot. (At least that's what works for me.) Practice, and don't think too much about it.

Now I've got exactly the opposite problem. I'm used to clipless, and when i occassionally go to a spin class with toestraps, I'm mightily confused.

Jeff N.
05-31-2004, 09:56 AM
I think everyone goes through a learning curve when they make the switch to clipless pedals. Everyone falls at stoplights and generally is awkwards at first. I have finally learned (and it admittedly took a while) to clip out WAY in advance when approaching a light, and have "learned the trick" of being able to "right" the pedal I need to clip back into. It is now second nature to me. I've always used Look-style pedals. I didn't like Speedplays...they felt like having my feet on ice cubes...but know riders who swear by them. Anyway, overall, all I can say is that you'll get used to them over time. Jeff N.

va rider
05-31-2004, 12:18 PM
I had a similar problem with my old Campy Chorus pedals. It is really about figuring out the right motion. Put your bike on a trainer and figure it out. Soon, you will be able to clip into the pedals in your sleep.

As far as look pedals, I have the new 5.1s and they sit like Hard Fit said at about 6:30. I can just roll into them perfectly with my toe. It is much easier than my old looks which did keep turning over on me.

You will get it down. I love the sound and feel the snap when I click in! So will you.

Dekonick
06-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Never thought about it. I have always used looks - well at least since 1990. You will find it gets easy with practice. Its now second nature for me.
Some tips (no pun intended) for you while starting out:

1) clip out early before you need to stop - this way your brain isnt telling you to pull your foot up instead of twisting out (later it wont matter as it will become a natural motion for you)

2) keep one foot clipped in at stops (like lights etc)
- this way you can keep that foot in the 2:00 position (or similar) and get moving just using one foot - that way once you get some momentum and clear the dangerous area (intersection) you can then look down to clip in the other foot.

3) when in doubt - dismount and walk the bike
ie - X-ing RR tracks after you have just stopped. (waiting for da train)

4) practice while riding - clip in and out.

you will find it becomes natural to `scoop`the pedal up with the cleat and the only times you need to look is when you miss (happens once in awhile)

I dont know abou the new clipless systems... I am still using looks and probably will for some time to come. - after all my wife is STILL pissed about my recent Hors Categorie purchase!

:p

William
06-02-2004, 01:13 PM
This is my first post to the forum so I'll shout out a howdy and get to the topic.

HOWDY!

I rode for a few years on the earlier SPD's. As others here have mentioned it just takes some practice to get the hang of it. It will soon become second nature though you may miss ocasionally. Sometimes clipping out is a problem too. When I first switched I thought I had the hang of it until I stopped at a light with a bunch of my team mates. We were all track standing waiting for the light and I stated to loose it and went to unclip....but it wouldn't pop out and I fell over knocking over four of my team mates domino style in the process.:crap: Let's just say I wasn't the most popular guy on the team for a while.;)

I had been thinking about switching to Speedplay's because I like to move my feet around a little bit and I wanted the added clearance (I'll take anything I can get running 180's). Being able to clip in on both sides was a bonus. A missed clip at the start of the Oregon Crit Championships a number of years ago and that clinched it for me. I switched to Speedplays and have stayed with them ever since. Never missed a clip when it counted after that.

William

larryp2
06-02-2004, 02:03 PM
SPEEDPLAYS fix the problems you complain about. I never "look down" and I love the float and the ease of unclipping.....ljp

SoCalSteve
06-02-2004, 05:36 PM
I have used Campy Record and Chorus pedals for years now and I finally got fed up with the squeaking and the fact that you have to look down to clip in. Dangerous at stoplights and intersections.

I moved over to Speedplay Zero's and I will NEVER go back! First off, they are 2 sided, so you never have to look down. Secondly, they have an amazing amount of adjustable float. Third, there is metal around the bottoms of the cleats so when you walk, you dont wear down the plastic and have to replace the cleats ( at 16.00 a pop) every few months.

Anyway, I'm sold and I just sold off 3 pairs of Campy pedals.

I'll never look back!

Steve