PDA

View Full Version : Frame Saver

Dekonick
05-30-2004, 02:26 PM
anyone know of alternatives to frame saver?

I read that some use corn oil (I think that would stink)

What about marine anti-corrosion spay?

I cant find any frame saver in my local 3 LBS and just wanted to treat an old steel frame (has been treated with frame saver b4 - just been 5 years or so) I did not want to mail order if I could go to the local BOAT US and pick up something that will also work.

zap
05-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Boiled linseed oil.

eddief
05-30-2004, 07:35 PM
You might double check at Riv, but I'm pretty sure they use Boeshield.

pale scotsman
05-30-2004, 08:24 PM
Eddies right, Boeshield T-9 in the spray can works great. It's what I use.

Sam in VA
05-30-2004, 10:04 PM
Excel Sports has it for $9.95 + shipping. I believe that you can buy it directly from Weigle also. I used Linseed oil in the past - what a mess, and undoubtably not as effective. Why waste your time?

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Frame+Saver&vendorCode=WEIGLE&major=6&minor=6

Peter
05-30-2004, 10:12 PM
I hate to break the news, but that's all FrameSaver is; linseed oil in an aerosol base. You pay for convenience-the can's accompanying nozzle helps get the stuff in the vent holes of the seatstays, fork blades, and the like, and for that benefit it's worth the extra cost.

But if you want to stay local, buy the boiled linseed oil from any hardware store and find a way to get it into the tiny holes. I used a basting bulb for the big holes; I couldn't get a syringe for the smaller access points, though.

Be sure to work outside, and keep the frame on newspapers for 24 hours while the excess weeps out the orifices. Don't wait longer before cleaning up drippage; dried linseed oil takes muscle to clean off.

Sam in VA
05-30-2004, 11:09 PM
I disagree. I've used both and have found the two to differ considerably in smell, texture, and cleanup.