PDA

View Full Version : Dropped by the kid

Kirk007
03-18-2007, 09:41 PM
PREFACE: my son, Ian, now 14 has always had an interest in bikes and riding, but until recently his idea of a fun ride was jumping down stairs, being chased by the U of O security gaurds or downhilling at Willamette Pass. Lucky for me one of his riding buddies told him he needed a road bike to get into shape for downhill racing, hence a request for a road bike. SO, for Christmas he got a frame/fork off ebay, a lot of spare parts from me and enrollment in a local repair/ maintenance class. The bike is as shown (yes I know the rear fender is missing - manana).

Story: today Ian wants to go on a road ride with his old man (I think he was feeling guilty - not sure what about); his first true "road" ride that wasn't around town or on the bike path. So, off we go up Fox Hollow, a nice 6-7 mile climb with a fun descent on the other side, making a nice loop back to town.

Well, on the way up he dropped me like a rock everytime the grade steepened (now I get dropped a lot by proficient cyclists, but...).
What a treat; I couldn't stop smiling. He's built like a climber, 5"10 and about 130. He just motored away. Luckily for me he's lacking stamina, and my superior mass turned the tables on the descent. But wow, what a feeling. Best ride of the year. And he wants to do it again tomorrow!
Greg

bironi
03-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Greg,
Great story. I hope many more follow. :beer: Looks like a nice rig too.
Byron

soulspinner
03-19-2007, 04:26 AM
lucky dog

stevep
03-19-2007, 04:42 AM
only way to fix that is for you to get a new, better bike and make him ride a mt bike!
good story,
have fun w/ him.

David Kirk
03-19-2007, 08:38 AM
How cool is that?

A few years ago my parents came to Montana for a visit and my Dad and I went for a ride together. He was about 70 at the time and he lives at sea level not at the 5000' we have here in Bozeman. We went out for a dirt road ride and saw Golden Eagles and mule deer and enjoyed the sun. It was great riding with him. He was worried that he wouldn't be fast enough. Little did he know that the slower we went the better I liked it..............slower meant the whole thing lasted longer.

That was a good day.

I'll bet your son will look back on these rides in a similar way.

Dave