PDA

View Full Version : Dropped by the kid

Kirk007
03-18-2007, 09:40 PM
PREFACE: my son, Ian, now 14 has always had an interest in bikes and riding, but until recently his idea of a fun ride was jumping down stairs, being chased by the U of O security gaurds or downhilling at Willamette Pass. Lucky for me one of his riding buddies told him he needed a road bike to get into shape for downhill racing, hence a request for a road bike. SO, for Christmas he got a frame/fork off ebay, a lot of spare parts from me and enrollment in a local repair/ maintenance class. The bike is as shown (yes I know the rear fender is missing - manana).

Story: today Ian wants to go on a road ride with his old man (I think he was feeling guilty - not sure what about); his first true "road" ride that wasn't around town or on the bike path. So, off we go up Fox Hollow, a nice 6-7 mile climb with a fun descent on the other side, making a nice loop back to town.

Well, on the way up he dropped me like a rock everytime the grade steepened (now I get dropped a lot by proficient cyclists, but...).
What a treat; I couldn't stop smiling. He's built like a climber, 5"10 and about 130. He just motored away. Luckily for me he's lacking stamina, and my superior mass turned the tables on the descent. But wow, what a feeling. Best ride of the year.

Greg