PDA

View Full Version : A good ride gone bad...

Rover-Rich
03-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Ok, got motivated and got out this AM for a planned 60 mile ride. Despite the 24 deg temp, my buddy and I were ready to go. At about 20 mile into the ride, I start hearing a "tick, tick" sound. Figure it is the rear deraileur, minor adjustment but no dice. Keep riding and now it's getting louder. Ok, ***? Front deraileur? Seems ok, then (you know this was coming) major failure. Broken chain! It's a brand new DA chain with maybe 100 miles on it. Failed at the splice point and probably because of my error.

Anyhow, what a bummer, called the misses who gracefully scooped us up and here I sit in front of my computer and not on my bike.

Irony of the whole thing is that last night as I was getting my bike ready for the ride, I REMOVED my chain tool from my bag-- what possessed me to do so I'll never know! Anyone use those Wipperman quick connects to fix a chain? I'm gonna start carrying one AND my chain tool from now on!

Hope you guys have a better ride than I did!

saab2000
03-18-2007, 09:02 AM
This is why you need more than one bike!!

Get scooped up and immediately get out on the spare Ottrott or spare Meivici.

Anyway, be thankful that this was no worse than that. Chain failures can result in visits to the emergency room followed by visits to the dentist.

And another thing,..... this is why you should have never carried a chain tool in the first place. The bike gods were just playing with you and when you removed it you should have known this would cause a failure. Just like turning off the seat belt sign on the airplane invariably results in turbulence. Want bumps? turn off that seat belt sign.

Want a flat? Forget your spare tube or pump.

Dave
03-18-2007, 09:09 AM
If you get a wipperman connex link, you need a Campy model to fit the Shimano chain. This may not make sense, but trust me, the shimano version is made for a wipperman shimano-compatible chain that is narrower between the inner plates. It will close around a shimano chain, but it does not have adequate side clearance.

BoulderGeek
03-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Ugh, this reminds me of season before last, when I left my cell phone in the car as I went out for a ride. Same thing: tick, tick, tick, boom!

Kneecap came down across the ITM stem, slicing skin down to patella. Almost went over the bars, too.

Walking back to car in cleats, no phone, blood streaming down leg. No fun. Finally borrowed a phone from a cyclist and got a ride. Sucked bigtime.

I'm going to carry a Connex link, too. Didn't know the Campy thing. It sort of invalidates the Shimano link I bought for my next chain change.

Is that the case for Shimano 9-speed chains as well?

Ken Robb
03-18-2007, 09:25 AM
If you get a wipperman connex link, you need a Campy model to fit the Shimano chain. This may not make sense, but trust me, the shimano version is made for a wipperman shimano-compatible chain that is narrower between the inner plates. It will close around a shimano chain, but it does not have adequate side clearance.

that's pretty cool--I have bikes with Campy and Shimano chains so I only need one Connex (Campy) for either brand? :banana:

Rover-Rich
03-18-2007, 09:43 AM

And this is why I love this forum so much! I would have assumed that the Shimano connex would fit a shimano chain... silly me. :beer:

Oh I would have gone over the bars when the chain failed, except when it did, he side plate caught on the front derailleur, a clear act of a higher being, and stopped the chain dead in its tracks preventing me from lossing it in a concrete endo.

coylifut
03-18-2007, 10:06 AM
And this is why I love this forum so much! I would have assumed that the Shimano connex would fit a shimano chain... silly me. :beer:

Oh I would have gone over the bars when the chain failed, except when it did, he side plate caught on the front derailleur, a clear act of a higher being, and stopped the chain dead in its tracks preventing me from lossing it in a concrete endo.

I have the Shimano Connex link on my Shimano 10 sp chain. I've been riding it that way for a year or better with no problems. What am I missing?

Anyway, I carry a chain tool with both a Connex 10sp link and a SRAM 9sp link incase someone else gets in trouble.

Dave
03-18-2007, 10:08 AM
that's pretty cool--I have bikes with Campy and Shimano chains so I only need one Connex (Campy) for either brand? :banana:

If you have the old Campy chain yes, but if you have the new Campy UN chains, then you need the Shimano 10 version of the connex link to join it, or a 5.9mm Superlink from Licktons. The original wider Campy chain is no longer made, so any you find are NOS.

Dave
03-18-2007, 10:11 AM
I have the Shimano Connex link on my Shimano 10 sp chain. I've been riding it that way for a year or better with no problems. What am I missing?

Anyway, I carry a chain tool with both a Connex 10sp link and a SRAM 9sp link incase someone else gets in trouble.

You may get by with it, since it will barely close around the chain, but others have reported failures. Cross chaining with little side clearance can pop the head off the pins.

coylifut
03-18-2007, 01:38 PM
You may get by with it, since it will barely close around the chain, but others have reported failures. Cross chaining with little side clearance can pop the head off the pins.

good to know. the campy ones are easier to find anyway

bostondrunk
03-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Are many people just using the wipperman chain itself on shimano? Work as well as Dura Ace?

stevep
03-18-2007, 04:27 PM
kmc also makes a very good 10s chain. comes with a snap link. shifts well.
not to be scorned.
they probably make the chains for the 2 major component manufacturers.
they also make an ultra light version of a 10s chain. details elude me but its a little more cash.

Rover-Rich
03-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Our own fstrthnu, Justin just hooked me up with some IRD links that work with Shimano 10s drivetrains. He said they are better than the wippermans, I'll report back when I give them a try.

soulspinner
03-19-2007, 04:39 AM
I had a Wipperman chain break at speed-it isnt a much fun 4 feet from a Chevy Suburban.