PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Hope headset?

BdaGhisallo
03-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Anyone use one of the Hope headsets from the folks in England? It looks to be of similar quality as the ubiquitous Chris King, but has a compression ring in it, unlike the Kings since they don't want to pay a fee to Cane Creek to use their patented item. I have had a little creaking from my King and, after doing a little research on mtbr.com, the King creak seems to be well known and down to the fact that they don't employ a compression washer of any sort, just using an O ring to keep the bearing cover in place.

Any comments? And feedback on the Hope?

thanks,
Geoff

SPOKE
03-18-2007, 03:09 PM
the chances are pretty good that that creak you have in you King headset may be because the inside edge of the head tube (top and bottom) didn't get chamfered enough. if the inside edges of the headtube are left sharp after facing then the creaking may occur. if i'm not mistaken this point is made in King's tech info. i don't have it handy but i'm pretty sure it's in there.

now i have an interest in the Hope headsets too. i'll be installing one on a project i'm working on but won't have any feed back for you for several more weeks.

Archibald
03-18-2007, 03:17 PM
I have lots o' Hope stuff. It's all good gear for the money. One exception is their disc brakes of all models. They look bling, but they don't work bling.

Archibald
03-18-2007, 03:20 PM
the chances are pretty good that that creak you have in you King headset may be because the inside edge of the head tube (top and bottom) didn't get chamfered enough. if the inside edges of the headtube are left sharp after facing then the creaking may occur. if i'm not mistaken this point is made in King's tech info. i don't have it handy but i'm pretty sure it's in there.

now i have an interest in the Hope headsets too. i'll be installing one on a project i'm working on but won't have any feed back for you for several more weeks.
It's a problem when the rubber o-ring dries out/cracks/rot too. All Kings will creak eventually. Replacing the rubber o-ring solves the prob, 90% of the time. In short, beware of used rubbers.

:banana: