PDA

View Full Version : Wheelbuilding Geek Question, average tensions, deviations, etc.

weaponsgrade
03-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I've got another wheelbuilding geek question for you wheelbuilders out there. What are your tolerances for determining a proper wheel build? For example, I have a wheel where I measured the tension of every spoke and the lateral and radial deviations using a dial gauge. I came up with the following:

Average tension: 125 kgf
Standard deviation: 18.9
Minimum tension: 68
Maximum tension: 186

Maximum lateral deviation: .005"
Maximum radial deviation: .019"

Peter P.
03-18-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't measure roundness or straightness with a dial indicator so I can't tell you that. I definitely have more radial deviation than lateral deviation in finished wheels, but it's still imperceptible on the road.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Standard Deviation" but I can tell you the Park Tool Spoke Tension Measuring device I use says a 20% variation between spokes is acceptable. I get it down to 10%.

To the best of my recollection, my max tension on the freewheel side is about 115-125kg for 9 speed wheels. I don't recall what the non-drive side is.

Brian Smith
03-19-2007, 04:54 PM
I think you should be able to get your standard deviation down below 10 kgf, unless it is a somewhat bad deep-aero shape and/or unless it is a 700c wheel with fewer than 24 spokes.

This sounds like either a front wheel or an extra savvy wheel design.