PDA

View Full Version : Braze on adapter.

Xyzzy
03-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm looking to put a front dérailleur on a bike. It will be a Record dérailleur so I have the option of using a clamp version, or I can use a braze on adapter and a braze on dérailleur.

I already have a braze on adapter from another project. A braze on dérailleur is a bit cheaper. The adapter is black, which looks kinda cool.

Are there any pluses or minuses to using a braze on adapter and a braze on dérailleur? I'm concerned with function, longevity, ability to hold a setting and, most of all, the looks.

Thanks!

Boy this new "in browser" spelling checker is excellent. Now I can spell dérailleur.

dave thompson
03-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm looking to put a front dérailleur on a bike. It will be a Record dérailleur so I have the option of using a clamp version, or I can use a braze on adapter and a braze on dérailleur.

I already have a braze on adapter from another project. A braze on dérailleur is a bit cheaper. The adapter is black, which looks kinda cool.

Are there any pluses or minuses to using a braze on adapter and a braze on dérailleur? I'm concerned with function, longevity, ability to hold a setting and, most of all, the looks.

Thanks!

Boy this new "in browser" spelling checker is excellent. Now I can spell dérailleur.
In my experiences using both clamp on and braze on dérailleurs, there is no differences in function or any other quality.

Kevin
03-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Only difference is appearance.

Kevin

Dave
03-18-2007, 07:57 AM
I prefer to use an adapter. It can stay with the frame, if desired and the FD can be used on any frame I want. I also found that careful grinding on the mounting surface of the adapter allowed me to change the angle of the FD so it matched the curve of the chainrings better. With a steep 74.5 STA, the tail of the cage can be up too high. This isn't a big issue unless you've got a triple FD and crank. The the tail can rub on the chain in the little ring and useable cog combinations without this modification. With a clamp-on FD, you couldn't fix this problem.

Xyzzy
03-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Interesting answers.

Two follow up questions:

1) Does a braze on adapter allow easier tuning? For example, with a clamp on, if I need to move the angle of the cage in or out, I have to loosen and move the clamp. Will a braze on adapter allow me to do that from the adapter nut? (I've never even seen a braze on dérailleur setup before so I have no idea how they work.)

2) Just to clarify, using an adapter is not a fashion faux pas.

(I have both a silver and a black adapter. Whee!)

michael white
03-18-2007, 10:59 AM
not an issue, there's no diff in function or adjustment. I would generally prefer an adaptor just for versatility.

dave thompson
03-18-2007, 12:21 PM
not an issue, there's no diff in function or adjustment. I would generally prefer an adaptor just for versatility.
+1. The adapter would have to be modified to achieve changes in the position of the dérailleur. The dérailleur is fastened to the adapter in such a way that it is very secure in its position.

Xyzzy
03-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I had assumed there was some sort of height and angle adjustment, like you see in the ovalized braze ons thingies on bikes with them built in. But looking at the adapter I can see how it locks in.

The final question. I promise.

Does anyone have any pics of an adapter and a braze on dérailleur, installed?

dave thompson
03-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I had assumed there was some sort of height and angle adjustment, like you see in the ovalized braze ons thingies on bikes with them built in. But looking at the adapter I can see how it locks in.

The final question. I promise.

Does anyone have any pics of an adapter and a braze on dérailleur, installed?
Yup.

Xyzzy
03-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Very nice. Thanks!