PDA

View Full Version : Glue for cork handlebar grips?

tbushnel
03-17-2007, 08:58 PM
I just put a Nitto albatross bar on an old frame and will be putting on some cork handlebar grips tomorrow. Anyone have a favorite glue for this application? Rivendell suggests 3M super 77 spray adhesive, gorilla glue or permatex adhesive for the job. I haven't used any of these products in the past. I thought I would tap the collective experience here before running out to get something.

any help is appreciated. :beer:

Ted.

ispy
03-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Super 77 is a stronger version of the regular "Spray-Mount" and works really well on gluing flat smooth surfaces together (in school and in offices we use it all the time to make presentation boards). I've never used it to stick cork (a porous surface) to a rounded metal surface though but I suppose Riv knows what works for their product.

Gorilla Glue is ridiculously strong and you will not likely be able to take the handles off afterwards (unless you "slice" the cork off which would still leave a residue). Don't get it on your clothing, you'll never ever wash it out.

Too Tall
03-18-2007, 05:25 AM
Permatex will do a nice job.

Kevin
03-18-2007, 05:29 AM
Permatex will do a nice job.

+1.

Kevin

dirtdigger88
03-18-2007, 07:42 AM
I used gorilla glue for mine- only because I had it on hand- the stuff is great for the home projects one runs into with an 100+ year old home

gorilla glue expands a lot as it dries- so dont use much of it

Jason

Frankwurst
03-18-2007, 08:10 AM
I use Gorilla Glue simply because I use it at work alot and the stuff holds almost anything together. Make darn sure you want them on cause they are not coming off. Dirt's right use sparingly as it expands alot. :beer:

tbushnel
03-18-2007, 08:49 AM
for the input. off to the hardware store to buy... I can't decide, though seems like gorilla glue might come in handy for other projects. I guess I will decide when I get there (ie. whatever they carry)
Cheers, and happy Sunday,
Ted.