PDA

View Full Version : Campy QS Question

itsflantastic
03-17-2007, 06:03 PM
I just picked up my NOS Serotta CSI all built up about 30 minutes ago. It's beautiful. I'll post pics and specs later in the week.

It is all 06 campy parts with the exception of the crankset. My LBS didn't have square taper ones in stock so I said, sure go with 07. When I got it home, I noticed that they threw a QS front derailleur on there, but my shifters are 06 Record. . .

Can I use 06 Shifters with a QS derailleur?!?! :confused:
. . . or should I make an issue with the shop? I was supposed to get an 06 record derailleur on there. Can I not use an 06 shifter with 07 cranks?

Help me sort this out! I'm going back to the shop tomorrow, and I wanna know what I'm talking about! :)
Thx- Dan

Kirk007
03-17-2007, 06:27 PM
06 derailuers work fine with 07 cranks, at least they did for every moment of my ride today. Search the forum re using QS front D with older shifters - it works but there are some issues, which are escaping me at the moment.

Greg

jeh
03-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Can I use 06 Shifters with a QS derailleur?!?! :confused:

I don't think it matters, I think there are some issue with using 07 Shifters with a non QS front mech(more force required to shift), but not the other way around.

If you wanted, you could get your shifters upgraded to the 07 internals (to take advantage of your QS derailleur), I think the only difference is a ratchet in the left ergo lever, part # EC-RE234. about eight dollars, plus whatever it would cost to rebuild the lever itself (I was quoted about 20$).

-j

Dave
03-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Here's the deal. The QS FD has a longer lever arn, which requires more cable travel to actuate. Normally it takes 3 clicks to run the full travel of a Campy FD. With the QS model, it should take 5 clicks. All Campy left shifters can produce 5 clicks with one sweep of the finger lever, so it should still work. If you have your left shifter updated to the QS model with a new ratchet EC-RE234, the finger lever will engage more clickly and require less finger lever travel to complete the 5 clicks.

Xyzzy
03-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Slightly OT:

What does the 07 QS shifter/FD combo feel like compared to the 06 non-QS shifter/FD combo?

More lever travel? Less? Lighter?

I just don't understand what is going on here and I know I'll never see a set IRL.

pdxmech13
03-18-2007, 11:20 AM
lighter action
and
der. engages quicker