PDA

View Full Version : Cleat Position Advice Needed

CalfeeFly
03-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I ride a Look style cleat. My pedals are Miche.

The toes of my left foot were all broken in a car accident and pinned to heal. Unfortunately they did not heal straight which is called malunion. To cut to the chase it is very uncomfortable pedaling now. The breaks were above the ball of my foot which is where the cleat is positioned now.

If I move the cleat back so it is more over the center of my foot what effect will this have? Will I lose power (I am woefully short enough of it now), will it be harder to spin?...does anyone know the effect that a cleat position rear of the ball of the foot has?

Next question...somewhere I read that some pros are riding a non-traditional cleat position. I believe it is further to the rear. Has anyone else read about this? Do you know why they are if you have?

I would greatly appreciate the input from forum members. I know many of you have an indepth knowledge.

Thank you very much.

regularguy412
03-17-2007, 02:01 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=25408

Ken Robb
03-17-2007, 02:34 PM
if you're in too much pain to ride I'd say your present cleat position has cost you 100% power loss. I like my cleats pretty far back or I feel like I'm putting a lot of strain on my toes and calfs.

One thing you can try: get some decent flat pedals with serated platforms (MKS Touring) and ride in rubber-soled shoes without large cleats. This will let you move easily to different positions around the spindle without your shoes slipping. You can see what feels bestwithout constantly fiddling with moving cleats. Heck you may decide that flat pedals are what you really want to ride. I keep them on a couple of my good bikes.

Let us know how you do. Pain sucks.