PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Serotta

cadencewrp
03-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Just visited my local bike shop for a fitting and am now grappling with which type of frame to select. Considering on the lower end a Coeur d' Acier and on the high end a Legend ST. Has anyone out there owned or at least ridden both types? Is the ST that much of a superior ride over its steel countpart? Candid replies most welcome.

Thank you.

regularguy412
03-17-2007, 01:57 PM
oops -- wrong thread :crap:

vaxn8r
03-17-2007, 02:40 PM
As for ST I would say probably not that big a deal but you need to decide if you want the best ti bike on the planet or a steel bike. Have you considered a Legend with regular stays? Why do you feel you need carbon stays?

Smiley
03-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Just visited my local bike shop for a fitting and am now grappling with which type of frame to select. Considering on the lower end a Coeur d' Acier and on the high end a Legend ST. Has anyone out there owned or at least ridden both types? Is the ST that much of a superior ride over its steel countpart? Candid replies most welcome.

Thank you.
Dude , there is NOTHING LOW END about a CDA , seriously best value in the whole line up. And its STEEL too :banana:

soulspinner
03-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Get the steel with a nicer paint job and way better wheels. A pound of frame does not equal a pound in wheels from a performance standpoint.

Ahneida Ride
03-17-2007, 03:22 PM
I have the Legend with the regular stays ....
Very comfortable. I would say go with the regular stays.
Get Rack mounts too !!!! They can't be added later ...
without some cost that is ....

For extra comfort ... Get a Brooks Saddle with springs !!!!!
You now have the best of both worlds.

SoCalSteve
03-17-2007, 04:11 PM
And I will go down the "other" road...

I own a Legend with a DKS rear end (predeccesor to the ST rear end) a Kirk Terraplane (from the guy who invented the DKS rear end) and I have owned an Ottrott with the ST rear end.

If you can afford it, get a bike with the ST rear end. You will love the way it tracks and really does help with handling.

If you have a chance to ride both (hopefully the wheelset will be the same) side by side, do so. Then decide.

Good luck,

Steve

Climb01742
03-17-2007, 04:33 PM
there is no "superior", just different. if you can ride both bikes, see what you think. and as smiley rightly says, mo dollars don't always equal mo better. some love steel. some love ti. question is, which are you? :D

pdxmech13
03-17-2007, 05:32 PM
I own both and can say the legend is a little more "inspired".
try both if you can as you should be the one to make the decision
all us jokers will tell you just to buy the meivici and be done wit it :D

remember that both bikes are some of the best in there class so you really can't loose

Blastinbob
03-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I own both and can say the legend is a little more "inspired".
try both if you can as you should be the one to make the decision
all us jokers will tell you just to buy the meivici and be done wit it :D

remember that both bikes are some of the best in there class so you really can't loose
+1 Have owned

93legendti
03-17-2007, 06:51 PM
And I will go down the "other" road...

I own a Legend with a DKS rear end (predeccesor to the ST rear end) a Kirk Terraplane (from the guy who invented the DKS rear end) and I have owned an Ottrott with the ST rear end.

If you can afford it, get a bike with the ST rear end. You will love the way it tracks and really does help with handling.

If you have a chance to ride both (hopefully the wheelset will be the same) side by side, do so. Then decide.

Good luck,

Steve
Agreed. Last year, among other Serottas, I had a CDA with carbon stays, Legend, Legend ST, Ottrott and Ottrott ST. I sold my CDA, Legend and Ottrott. I kept my Legend ST and Ottrott ST because, for me, they are more fun and more comfortable to ride than the 3 I sold--without giving up any of the "go fast" traits that I loev about Serottas. I am convinced the ST makes a difference. I just ordered a new Ottrott ST. I am thinking about a CDA, but it will probably be in Rapid Tour/all arounder guise, with steel stays.

That said, it is your money, so make sure you want ti over steel and ST over reg. stays. Ask as many questiosn as you can. Test ride as many Serottas as you can.

One last thing. If you're considering a Legend without the ST rear, I'd get a Concours--unless you weigh over 200 lbs or intend to race the bike. As many can attest, a Legend can be a very stiff bike.

Big Dan
03-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Go for the real deal. All steel CDA or all Ti Legend.
Better ingredients , better pizza..............

:)

Kevin
03-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Get them both. If you are in a Ti mood ride the Legend. If you are in a steel mood ride the CDA. All joking aside, it comes down to personal preference.

Kevin

SPOKE
03-18-2007, 03:17 PM
if you decide to get the Legend ST be sure to request the OverSized "S" bend stays if you weigh more than 160lbs. it will be the sweetest ride you could hope for without being harsh.

Bartape1
03-18-2007, 04:08 PM
If it's possible ride both! I recently went through the same process and couldn't decide either. Steel is real and Ti is great ride them yourself and feel the difference! Any model in the Serotta line-up is "top quality" for that material.

That being said, I went with a Legend Ti, ST stays and sloping TT. I can't give you a ride report yet as I just picked it up two days ago (the same day mother nature deceided to dump 2+ feet of the white stuff on NE.) I will update after my first ride!

Cheers,
:beer:

Dekonick
03-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I can't say about the st stays, but the Hors Categorie (predecessor) is a wonderful bike when descending, and cornering. I feel more confident with my Hors than my Legend (non st) - but they both are fantastic rides.

Nothing - and I mean nothing - has a ride as nice as a good steel bike (at least from what I have used)

Serotta bikes are awesome - you can't go wrong.

saab2000
03-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Dude , there is NOTHING LOW END about a CDA , seriously best value in the whole line up. And its STEEL too :banana:

WORD

I have a Colorado III steel Serotta. That is a predecessor to the Couer d'Acier and it is a terrific ride. It is responsive and smooth and is probably my favorite bike to ride, and I have a nice fleet (as do many others here).

You are not getting a lower level bike by getting the steel CDA, just a less expensive Serotta. They are seriously nice bikes and I consider trading in my non-Serottas to get another one. Steel is still a very viable material in the modern bike world and many knowledgeable builders here who build with steel post here.