PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Kinetic trainers

kgrooney
03-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Has anyone used the new trainer from Kinetic? I would imagine that if this new device allows for a rocking motion while training, there would be less stress on the dropouts, etc.

Thanks.

Ozz
03-16-2007, 12:09 PM
I thought the same thing...but still went with the standard "Road Machine". Love it....as much as you can love a trainer. ;)

BTW - There was a pretty good price at REI ($450) for the new one...especially if you can pick up at a store. They are also having a 20% off sale for members now...not sure if it applies to trainers or not...I think it does.

Kinetic Rock-and-Roll Bike Trainer at REI (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=48092951&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&color=NONE&img=/media/962041.jpg&view=large)

kgrooney
03-16-2007, 12:27 PM
I thought the same thing...but still went with the standard "Road Machine". Love it....as much as you can love a trainer. ;)

BTW - There was a pretty good price at REI ($450) for the new one...especially if you can pick up at a store. They are also having a 20% off sale for members now...not sure if it applies to trainers or not...I think it does.

Kinetic Rock-and-Roll Bike Trainer at REI (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=48092951&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&color=NONE&img=/media/962041.jpg&view=large)

I too have the standard road machine and try to make limited use of it since I'm concerend with damage to my frame. I've made postings regarding training, and the only way to get weekday rides in with two babies in the house is early am trainer rides.

Thanks

Ozz
03-16-2007, 01:34 PM
...and the only way to get weekday rides in with two babies in the house is early am trainer rides....
I feel your pain....my "babies" are almost 6 and 2 1/2...

jhcakilmer
03-16-2007, 02:09 PM
I had a couple trainers.....last one being the 1up trainer, that I thought was really nice. Until I bought a dedicated spinner.

I got a Keys Ironman 112 and I love it. It was a little harder to find, but I got it used on ebay for $250, and have been using it for 3 months without an issue.

There are lots of Schwinns, and other manufacturers that you can chose from. They are more stable, and put any stress on your bike, or damage it.

Peter P.
03-16-2007, 03:23 PM
I know this doesn't quite answer your question but it seems your interest is in reducing stresses on the frame regarding the new Kurt Kinetic trainer.

My attitude is, if a bike can't handle the stresses it will see in normal use (and attaching it to a trainer IS normal use), then the frame isn't strong enough and you shouldn't buy it.

That said, I've seen NO evidence that trainer usage leads to early frame failure; it's all been heresay to me up to this point. If I saw bicycle manufacturers inserting disclaimers into their warranties regarding trainer usage, I'd call that solid evidence, but I haven't seen that either.

I say don't worry about it and buy the trainer you want. But if you want to play it safe, get rollers instead of a trainer. And if you want resistance with your roller meal, get the e-motion, TruTrainer, or Kreitler Dyno Lytes.