PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with power lycra?

znfdl
03-16-2007, 04:28 AM
OK, I am in the market for some new shorts. Most makers have two similar models, one with good ole lycra the other with power lycra.

Can people really notice the compression properties between the two, or this just some marketing bs?

Is power lycra really worth an extra $50+?

72gmc
03-16-2007, 07:16 AM
I suppose it matters what you're comparing them to, but in my case they do feel better. I've found that Excel Sports house brand shorts (made by Nalini) work well for me, and their Power version only costs $50 all-in.

regularguy412
03-16-2007, 08:00 AM
I don't know if the lycra used by Descente in theirl Aero-X shorts would be called 'power lycra', but it is definitely different (better) than my other shorts with 'normal lycra'. The first time I put on the Aeor-Xes, I could tell the material was quite different. They felt 'firmer' around my legs without being 'tight'. The neat part was that while I was riding, I couldn't tell that I even had shorts ON! They seemed to move with my skin instead of around it. (First time I'd ever had any short that felt that way,, and I've worn out a few pairs) They do a very good job of supporting the muscles. I liked them so much, that I bought 2 more pairs of Aero-X bibs and one pair of Aero-X shorts.

You might check around to see if you can find any 'deals', but in any case, I think they are definitely worth the money. If you can swing it, buy two (or more) pairs. Good shorts last longer. Rotating among a few pairs makes them last longer, STILL!.

Mike in AR

BumpyintheBurgh
03-16-2007, 08:34 AM
OK, I am in the market for some new shorts. Most makers have two similar models, one with good ole lycra the other with power lycra.

Can people really notice the compression properties between the two, or this just some marketing bs?

Is power lycra really worth an extra $50+?

Hey, if it cost more, it must be better, right? As for me, I waiting for Ultimate Lyrca to come out in 6 months, or maybe I should wait another year for Super Ultimate Lyrca to be introduced. Why waste my hard earned money on the good ole Lycra or the questionably new improved Power Lycra.
It's all about marketing and a way for companies to get more of your money.