PDA

View Full Version : It's really very simple

Jack Brunk
03-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Simple is.

Take a great set of wheels and place them on a great frame. What you get is a great frame turned it into an ultra responsive ultra dynamic frame that takes you to a different level. The Meivici is a very special frame along with a set of Lightweight Ventoux's. I've tried a lot of different wheel combo's but today was a real eye opener. Don't give up on a frame until you try it with a couple of different wheel sets.

jbrainin
03-15-2007, 09:23 PM
+1.

And the combo looks great, too!

:)

Jonathan

coylifut
03-15-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm guessing a set of Lightweight Ventoux's would make a noticeable difference on any race bike. However Jack, you are the only one that I know of who owns a pair. I'll take your word for it.

Jack Brunk
03-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Terry,

I've sent a few of the forumites to our friend Obtuse for some Lightweight wheels. I think Jbrainin got a set and I think he likes his. It's the combo man, it's the gestalt! :banana: :beer: :) :D ;)

coylifut
03-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Terry,

I've sent a few of the forumites to our friend Obtuse for some Lightweight wheels. I think Jbrainin got a set and I think he likes his. It's the combo man, it's the gestalt! :banana: :beer: :) :D ;)

sounds like a nice combo indeed. Serotta + Lightweight = :banana: :) :beer:

Lanternrouge
03-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Simple is.

Take a great set of wheels and place them on a great frame. What you get is a great frame turned it into an ultra responsive ultra dynamic frame that takes you to a different level. The Meivici is a very special frame along with a set of Lightweight Ventoux's. I've tried a lot of different wheel combo's but today was a real eye opener. Don't give up on a frame until you try it with a couple of different wheel sets.

Are you going to get a set of the new Lew wheels? I (and probably everyone else) am curious to hear how they compare to Lightweights, other than being lighter.

jbrainin
03-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Yep, Jack is right, the Ventoux are wonderful on my Mei Vici. (So what if I had tee wheels almost two months before the roads were clear enough for the two rides I've done with them on my bike!)

BTW, given the obvious preferences of several on this forum, why are there no smilies for wine?

jbrainin
03-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Are you going to get a set of the new Lew wheels? I (and probably everyone else) am curious to hear how they compare to Lightweights, other than being lighter.

Thursday's (03/15) Velonews.com has a brief writeup of the Lew Wheels by Leonard Zinn. A full review is evidently pending. It is not clear if he'll compare them with Lightweight or ADA.

Jack Brunk
03-15-2007, 11:00 PM

Yes. Obtuse is expecting a set to arrive at the shop any day. I should have them within a week or so. I' ll give a ride report as soon as I get some miles on them.

Today was a great ride day.

Simon Q
03-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Simple is.

My dream combo. One day. Thanks for sharing your experiences once again Jack.

Climb01742
03-16-2007, 04:04 AM
when i saw the velonews piece on the lew wheels, the first thing i thought of was you, jack. their weight is incredibly light. it struck me as funny that the two things lew makes are "invisible" military aircraft and wheels! please tell us your ride impressions. we're all living vicariously through you, jack! ;)

znfdl
03-16-2007, 05:06 AM
BTW, given the obvious preferences of several on this forum, why are there no smilies for wine?

+1

znfdl
03-16-2007, 05:08 AM
[QUOTE=coylifut]I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm guessing a set of Lightweight Ventoux's would make a noticeable difference on any race bike. QUOTE]

If I only did not have two kids in private school, I could join the club (sigh)

Smiley
03-16-2007, 06:15 AM
A very good set of wheels always makes the ride great. I think a good wheel builder like Jeremy or Ergott can also do wonders for your frames if your on a budget. All my bikes have hand built wheels and my Uniscasi is awaiting something Special from Jeremy ......one day soon I hope :banana:

Jack do you have a photo of your bike with these new wheels. Please share. Thanks

FlaRider
03-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Simple is.

Jack - I was about to order some LW tubular standards but you got me thinkin....should I order LW Ventoux instead to go with my Brunkified Meivici? :D

jbrainin
03-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Unless you plan on doing some stage races, I suggest going with the Ventoux.

Climb01742
03-16-2007, 09:51 AM
jack, how do the LWs compare to the ADAs? and has your meivici climbing special arrived yet?

Jack Brunk
03-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Jack - I was about to order some LW tubular standards but you got me thinkin....should I order LW Ventoux instead to go with my Brunkified Meivici? :D

It's a tough call as both wheel sets are outstanding. For example, I had the Ventoux's on my look 595 and the bike rode great. I then changed out wheels and put a set of LW standards on the 595 and wow it did the same thing to the bike as the Ventoux's did to the Meivici. I have no idea why or how but both bikes stepped it up another notch which I thought was impossible.

davids
03-16-2007, 02:03 PM
A very good set of wheels always makes the ride great. I think a good wheel builder like Jeremy or Ergott can also do wonders for your frames if your on a budget.
One pile of money plus another pile of money equals two piles of money. I'm not surprised to hear that a set of Lightweights and a Meivici results in a great ride. I'm a value hunter, myself...

stevep
03-16-2007, 02:46 PM
One pile of money plus another pile of money equals two piles of money. I'm not surprised to hear that a set of Lightweights and a Meivici results in a great ride. I'm a value hunter, myself...

david,
then get the meivici/ lightweights w/ only one bottle cage...
you could save some cash right there... maybe somepleace else too.
go for it.

Ti Designs
03-17-2007, 07:18 AM
Simple is.

You're dead-on right Jack. Today I too took a great frame (great for a trash pick that is, nobody on this forum would get excited about it) and put on a great set of wheels (Stupid heavy fixed gear wheels with a 20T cog and cross tires) and it took me to new a new level (ground level - twice!). Now you have me thinking of all the different wheels I haven't tried on that bike. Studded ones, square ones, carbon ones...

Climb, you gotta do something about the wildlife problem in Concord, there were deer on Monumment street this morning.

davids
03-17-2007, 08:48 AM
david,
then get the meivici/ lightweights w/ only one bottle cage...
you could save some cash right there... maybe somepleace else too.
go for it.
Thanks, steve. You're always looking out for me, for a minimal charge... waitamin... there goes the savings.

Climb01742
03-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Climb, you gotta do something about the wildlife problem in Concord, there were deer on Monumment street this morning.

don't tell me you were riding this morning?! ok, main roads were sorta clear(ish) but there was/is zero shoulder. i'm hoping to get out at some point tomorrow but ed, riding today is 50% dedication and 50% crazy. :beer: