PDA

View Full Version : Piles of Miles

Too Tall
03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
What's your plan for the summer months? Most of us are DONE with winter and rarin' to hit it. Century rides, PBP, racing is happening :)

PS -Thompson stems. OMG Izat nice or what?

saab2000
03-15-2007, 11:58 AM
I am hoping to ride more than last year.

More in Appleton.
More in Michigan.
More in Washington DC.
More in Minnesota too.
Western VA in the hills.

And depending on what I find out in Switzerland when I go there next month, maybe more in Switzerland too.

I want to do several 100 mile rides. Last year I did just one and it was not enough.

dauwhe
03-15-2007, 12:01 PM
PBP. Three letters that mean a whole heaping pile of miles for me!

28 mile commute to work (in the rain) this morning... first 100k is next Sunday (if not cancelled by snow/ice storm), 200k is March 25, the first 300k is April 1, and more and more...

AND MY TOURNESOL FRAME WAS JUST DELIVERED TO THE OFFICE! HAVEN'T EVEN OPENED THE BOX YET!

:banana: :banana:

Dave

ada@prorider.or
03-15-2007, 12:03 PM
well plan to come to ride 30 to 35 hours a week
i am already to 2.5 a day feels fine
only weather is good now next week cold and snow expected and rain showers

any way plan some ride's this summer classic with forum member if
evry goes ok for him
amstel gold race

any way meaby i succeed doing giro and tour the france stage's
will be hard though

LegendRider
03-15-2007, 12:08 PM
well plan to come to ride 30 to 35 hours a week
i am already to 2.5 a day feels fine
only weather is good now next week cold and snow expected and rain showers

any way plan some ride's this summer classic with forum member if
evry goes ok for him
amstel gold race

any way meaby i succeed doing giro and tour the france stage's
will be hard though

How can you ride that much and still have time to make wheels? :)

72gmc
03-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I am planning some nice long rides, organized and otherwise. I may try some riding with the Seattle Randonneurs if they'll have me.

Rode the spankin' new Davidson to work this morning. Yes, long rides will do nicely. I'll get out the camera at some point.

znfdl
03-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Well my wife is being really nice to me.

Let's see for what I have planned for this year:

Next weekend 176 miles around Richmond Va.

March 31st - April 8th Pac Tour Mountain Tour
Pre Tour Ride - 200K
Day 1 Tucson to Sierra Vista 83
Day 2 Sierra Vista to Douglas 74
Day 3 Douglas to Lordsburg 99, this day will actually be a 200K to climb Mt Graham
Day 4 Lordsburg to Safford 91
Day 5 Safford to Willcox 89
Day 6 Willcox to Tombstone 103
Day 7 Tombstone to Tucson 87

Weekend of April 14th: 300K Saturday and a 200k on Sunday

Weekend of April 21st: Double Century Saturday, 200K on Sunday

Weekend of April 28th: Friday and Saturday 150 miles on Skyline / Blue Ridge Parkway, Sunday 100 miles

Weekend of May 5th: Maybe Calvin's 12 hour challenge

Weekend of May 12th: Back to Blue Ridge Parkway

Weekend of May 19th: Start to taper

June 9th: Start chasing Too Tall and The Queen across the good ole US of A.

17 days later June 28th: Recover

Erik.Lazdins
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
PBP. Three letters that mean a whole heaping pile of miles for me!

28 mile commute to work (in the rain) this morning... first 100k is next Sunday (if not cancelled by snow/ice storm), 200k is March 25, the first 300k is April 1, and more and more...

AND MY TOURNESOL FRAME WAS JUST DELIVERED TO THE OFFICE! HAVEN'T EVEN OPENED THE BOX YET!

:banana: :banana:

Dave

Dave,
Spill the beans already - we expect/demand/beg for pics of the Tournesol.
Please!
Thanks!

slowgoing
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM

Beware of cracks across the faceplate of this model Thompson stem. It happened to mine.

Jeffie
03-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Funny, and I thought I was the only one that had a cracked faceplate.

I would also be careful. I look at mine everytime before I ride now.

Serotta PETE
03-15-2007, 01:16 PM
That is wonderful......really living life to the fullest. Have fun

Well my wife is being really nice to me.

Let's see for what I have planned for this year:

Next weekend 176 miles around Richmond Va.

March 31st - April 8th Pac Tour Mountain Tour
Pre Tour Ride - 200K
Day 1 Tucson to Sierra Vista 83
Day 2 Sierra Vista to Douglas 74
Day 3 Douglas to Lordsburg 99, this day will actually be a 200K to climb Mt Graham
Day 4 Lordsburg to Safford 91
Day 5 Safford to Willcox 89
Day 6 Willcox to Tombstone 103
Day 7 Tombstone to Tucson 87

Weekend of April 14th: 300K Saturday and a 200k on Sunday

Weekend of April 21st: Double Century Saturday, 200K on Sunday

Weekend of April 28th: Friday and Saturday 150 miles on Skyline / Blue Ridge Parkway, Sunday 100 miles

Weekend of May 5th: Maybe Calvin's 12 hour challenge

Weekend of May 12th: Back to Blue Ridge Parkway

Weekend of May 19th: Start to taper

June 9th: Start chasing Too Tall and The Queen across the good ole US of A.

17 days later June 28th: Recover

rdparadise
03-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Nothing big, I know versus some of your plans. My plan is for 100 miles a week average from now through Sept/Oct. In the past couple of years I was lucky if I got out for 30-40 miles a week. I just have to shift my priorities a little to make this a reality.

Communiting to work 2-3 days per week would be fun too. Round trip is a perfect 20 miles with mulitple options to add miles on the way home at night.

No big rides planned, but will definitely find time and conditioning to put in a few centuries. :beer:

My days of double metrics and double centuries are behind me now. Not because of anything other then some different priorities today versus a few years ago. :rolleyes:

I long for the days of sunny skies, cool breezes, waving leaves and the freedom I feel road riding in the country. :banana:

Bob

Kevan
03-15-2007, 01:38 PM
A double century. Why? Beats the hell out of me.
Also, as you might have guessed, the r2d2.

I'm glad last year's century-a-month club is over, but I appreciate May and June are going to be building months in preparation for the double. So be it.

dirtdigger88
03-15-2007, 02:38 PM
ride hard and have fun all summer

oh and join Sir Tall and Mr. Manet at Deerfield-

jason

BoulderGeek
03-15-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm still fat and in Colorado winter mode.

But, June 1st I will arrive in France for three summer months. A two-hop train ride from Bourg d'Oisans. Riding distance from the Col du Madeleine. Surrounded by some hopefully awesome scenery, and hopefully having at least 4 afternoons a week to ride.

I better cut down on the beer and ice cream now, eh?

The ironic thing is, I just got the word that my job is being offshored to India! So, I can collect unemployment when I return, perhaps.

As Alanis said, life has a funny way of helping you out.

vaxn8r
03-15-2007, 03:30 PM
What's your plan for the summer months? Most of us are DONE with winter and rarin' to hit it. Century rides, PBP, racing is happening :)

I'm one of teh very few that think Thomson bent posts look good. But that stem is clunky and kinda ugly...sorry TT... ATMO and everything. :)

AgilisMerlin
03-15-2007, 05:04 PM

going to build a site around a time trial, that will start two miles from my home.

going to call it :

www.blueridgett.com

going to set up the account tonight and use this crappy program i use at work called yahoo sitebuilder.

don't want to fark around and use frontpage and the extensions.....too lazy :D

goint to be around 11-12 miles long
first quarter will travel in the valley up against the blue ridge. one side hugging the slopes, the other hugging the fruit farms.

Second quarter is about a 2 mile climb up to a switch back, going to spray paint an orage and red dot. People gotta suffer to the dot, and do a U'ey at the switchback

run every other sunday at 10:00 am
April through October
watch as timer
free
follow all traffic rules blah blah blah

this way i can race for free two days a month :banana:

i have this stem:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=23695&stc=1

just ordered some look keo sprints for the wife..............good motivation

AmerliN

jhcakilmer
03-16-2007, 08:58 AM
I got a spinner this winter....Keys Iroman M112....which I love.

Even though I'd prefer to be outside, when we have 2 ft of snow, and single digits....I stay inside (I know I'm getting soft....sorry Musgrave....I know you saw that coming!) If I have someone to ride with, I can get motivated to go out in the cold, but not solo.

Also, the big advantage is that I can study while I ride, so I've been doing 2-3 hours 5-6 days a week, and even some 4 hour rides. It seems crazy, but the time goes really fast. I have the bike set up very nicely, and the saddle is reasonably comfortable. They great workouts, especially because it's 100% spining....there's not coasting on a spinner.

I definitely will not be doing any 4 hour rides outside, so my riding will actually decrease during the summer months. I have been taping my lectures, and might just put them on my iPod and take them with me, but we'll see!

barry1021
03-16-2007, 10:29 AM

It's SNOWING in Boston.

znfdl
03-16-2007, 10:53 AM
It's SNOWING in Boston.

That is one reasone why I moved from Mass. in the early 80's brrrrrrrrrr

Ti Designs
03-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Yup, it's snowing in Boston and my Thompson stem face plate also cracked...

It's a long season, my plans change based on the time of year. All winter I've been working with the Harvard women's team. They started racing this month, so we've been on the roads training all winter. My goal is to build a strong team for nationals in May, then create a team to compete in USCF races.

My own racing goals are on the track. I was asked to be part of a team last year and it was way too much fun. So while most riders are out there getting their climbing legs under them I'll be doing speedwork - lots and lots of speedwork...

If you want to talk mileage, my new girlfriend is the queen of mileage. I met her on a ride where I was out for 70 miles of training and she was out for 200 miles. As a converted trackie, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with her at the end of the day, so I put her on the back of my tandem!

It's gonna be a great summer (if it ever stops snowing)

Dekonick
03-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Diapers... lots of diapers.

Commute to work on bike and...

I plan on taking the older critter for trailer rides, as long as he likes it now...he was not a fan in the fall. I sure hope he changes his mind.

gonna have another boy! Wow - 2 kids 2 years apart. Think life is gonna be hectic for a bit...

Dek

Kevan
03-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Phew!

It's all good.

Except the homework fights.

jhcakilmer
03-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm in your situation.....2 boys 2 years apart. It's awsome! I always feel it's really tough for the first 5-7 months, and tapers after that. Ours are 5 and 3 and it's a blast. They are great friends....we don't have to entertain them at all....they just do there own thing together!

Also, I put each of my sons in the trailer for training rides as early as 6 weeks. I just had a nice bed made, and took them on a quiet roads.....lots of fun, and they slept the whole time. My wife never really liked it, but got use to it. I just took it easy!

Have fun....!!

Diapers... lots of diapers.

Commute to work on bike and...

I plan on taking the older critter for trailer rides, as long as he likes it now...he was not a fan in the fall. I sure hope he changes his mind.

gonna have another boy! Wow - 2 kids 2 years apart. Think life is gonna be hectic for a bit...

Dek

Too Tall
03-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Oooooo, lots of really neat plans in the works. Yo Tidesigns :) Y'all come down to DC for some tandem fun...mi casa su casa. Nice to hear.

Dangit, we WERE going to do a 200k tommorrow and SPRING WAS in the air but noooooo...the EVIL return of winter ....it's sleeting and there is 2" of snow at the proposed ride start.

Soooooo, I tore out the bottom brackets from the tandem. Why not, it's not going anywhere fast? :rolleyes:

cpg
03-16-2007, 02:57 PM
This spring I'm building myself a new frame. Actually it will be the first frame I've made for myself with my name on it. Go figure. And no it won't have a stinking Thompson stem on it.

Curt

stevep
03-16-2007, 03:29 PM
This spring I'm building myself a new frame. Actually it will be the first frame I've made for myself with my name on it. Go figure. And no it won't have a stinking Thompson stem on it.

Curt

ok curt,
whats the plan for the frame?
details man, details

cpg
03-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Plan A-Obtuse inspired carbon kit frame but substitute the tubes with hickory branches. Bark intact of course. Sort of a fusion of hi-tech with nature. Ferris hooked me up with some Colorado hooch so the front rack will double as a carrier/shot bar. And yes the front end geometry will be "corrected" to accomodate bourbon induced shimmy.

or

Plan B- Sachs lugs, PegoRichie tubes, Campagnolo parts. New decal reads GoodPegoRichie.

Curt

Grant McLean
03-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Plan B- Sachs lugs, PegoRichie tubes, Campagnolo parts. New decal reads GoodPegoRichie.

Curt

An instant classic!

g

Too Tall
03-16-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm one of teh very few that think Thomson bent posts look good. But that stem is clunky and kinda ugly...sorry TT... ATMO and everything. :)
VAX bubbalah, I can't disagree but the stems...oooo la la :)

stevep
03-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Plan A-Obtuse inspired carbon kit frame but substitute the tubes with hickory branches. Bark intact of course. Sort of a fusion of hi-tech with nature. Ferris hooked me up with some Colorado hooch so the front rack will double as a carrier/shot bar. And yes the front end geometry will be "corrected" to accomodate bourbon induced shimmy.

or

Curt

hopefully some beaver wont eat the tubes.
who makes that tubeset? the pegorichie? not the wood.

Ozz
03-16-2007, 04:32 PM
the only organized ride I have planned, is the Tour de Blast (http://www.tourdeblast.com/).

If I can hold / improve my fitness thru September, I might do the Mt Baker Hill Climb (http://www.norkarecreation.com/hcindex.html) with my riding buddy. We'll see....

cpg
03-16-2007, 05:13 PM
hopefully some beaver wont eat the tubes.
who makes that tubeset? the pegorichie? not the wood.

Columbus. It's basically Spirit/Life/Niobium tubes with slightly longer butts so the lugs and HAZ stay within the butt and not the taper.

Curt

Lifelover
03-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Do a one way commute a couple times a week. A mountain metric century, a few flat centuries. Me (and hopefully my boys) will start leading a Monday night B pace ride for the local club.

I really, really, really hope to make it to DC when the weather is perfect and have a local from this forum or RBR lead me on a 20-30 mile evening tour of the monuments!

Any DCers have a spare 57-59 I can ride?

jcmuellner
03-16-2007, 08:02 PM
I am planning some nice long rides, organized and otherwise. I may try some riding with the Seattle Randonneurs if they'll have me.

Oh man, we'll have you alright 72gmc...you're always welcome at SIR! Tomorrow is the start of the season 200 km - hopefully I'll see you there. Ask around and most folks know where I am - love to meet up.

Got fenders?

Jon

djg
03-16-2007, 09:18 PM
I dunnno, I'm still trying to thaw out from last night's ride. Why would I want a jacket? It was warm at lunchtime.

Tom
03-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Either the Highlander or a loop or two of the ADK 540 but they happen to be the same weekend... depends if I have time to take the weekend off. We had a great time at the Apple Inn (I think that's its name...) a few years ago. If no time to travel then I go up to Ticonderoga and go nuts.

Several long rides out of my front door early on Saturday mornings.. around Sacandaga by way of Route 8 and Warrensburg, that kind of thing.

Not too many organized long rides, I just want to get on my bike and go.