PDA

View Full Version : ANDREW Creation

Serotta PETE
03-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Well the specs have gone to Kelly to design frame....One of the items that came up for discussion was "what type and brand brakes"

If you recall, this is a Randoneer and will carry at most a rear pack (BTW - I found some great two bottle wine carriers at COSTCO...or I should say MARK found them)

o brakes - Andrew is going to use some PAUl's Canti that are hanging
around without a bike.

Fenders (Andrew still likes the wood and I will bow to his choice - for it is his design) I like the CARBON or 35mm Bs that DBRK had on his)

Tire size will be up to a 32 or at least a real 28 (Remember this is a credit card tourer and a corkscrew, VISA card, and two bottles do not weigh much)

Slope on TT up to 4 degrees (YES it will have a PUMP PEG

Just figured I would seek your input and also I need to start thinking about racks.

THIS will be at OPEN HOUSE IN JUNE FOR ALL TO TRY!!!

WINE will have already been consumed unless you get there early. My son in law and nephew (both love wine) will also be coming up.

Additionally my good friends MARK and PHIL have been known to have more than one glass...... :beer: SPOKES is not a drinker...luckily for this means more for us....Have to watch for that Mr Flydhest though....

Serotta PETE
03-14-2007, 03:24 PM
No I am not in favor of putting a swizzler on each brake lever....shame on you!!!!

dash
03-14-2007, 03:31 PM
i cannot seem to track down the picture from NAHBS, but i saw a pair of paul centerpull racer brakes that a frame builder carved and shaped down to a more smooth, rounded and traditional looking profile which still maintained the paul geometry and function. they are definitely what you want for this build - does anyone know what i'm talking about? can you post a picture?

big shanty
03-14-2007, 03:33 PM
that was from Jonny Cycles

Kevan
03-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Bar end shifters and Nitto noodles.

goonster
03-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Fenders (Andrew still likes the wood and I will bow to his choice - for it is his design) I like the CARBON or 35mm Bs that DBRK had on his)..

Not sure what kind of wood fenders are being considered here, but if they have a flat cross-section, they may look good, but not do such a good job of keeping the slop off you in the rain.

Just a thought . . .

Serotta PETE
03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Suggestions that are incorporated by ANDREW will receive a T shirt is you are at the OPEN HOUSE (the first five ideas) ALL others will be welcome to a glass of red or a SEROTTA beer....PETE

dash
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
i cannot seem to track down the picture from NAHBS, but i saw a pair of paul centerpull racer brakes that a frame builder carved and shaped down to a more smooth, rounded and traditional looking profile which still maintained the paul geometry and function. they are definitely what you want for this build - does anyone know what i'm talking about? can you post a picture?

thanks big shanty, it was jonny cycles. check out these brake calipers:

http://www.jonnycycles.com/roadpix6.html

Ken Robb
03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I have a bunch of bikes with various brakes and suggest: If you will jnever run more than 32mm tires I think the standard (now long) reach Shimano Ultegra level dual pivots as they work great and are non-fiddly. If you might want to run 35mm or bigger tires some day then I would suggest Paul or Shimano cantis. Old XTs work fine and I'll bet the new Shimano cantis are just as good. The Pauls fine but a bit pricey and they don't work any better than the Shimanos in my applications.

I like thge idea of center-pulls but I have no experience riding with them.

If you can use short reach brakes the DA 7800 are superb--yep a bit better than my Chorus which I put on a pat with the previous DA 7700 calipers.

Other opinions may vary--flame suit on. :beer:

rdparadise
03-14-2007, 05:17 PM
I was going to recommend these as I have them on my Blue Ridge. They work great with road brifters with the little rollamajig. Anyway, searched and found peterwhilecycles, but they are no longer available. :crap:

For the history, go here:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/strangebrakes.asp

These work really good but apparently they are no longer available. Too bad!

Bob

dauwhe
03-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I have the Paul Racer centerpulls (bolt-on) on my Saluki. My upcoming Tournesol has braze-ons for Paul centerpulls. I'm very fond of the brakes. Good clearance, great modulation... They've made some horrible descents (N. side of Mt. Greylock in Mass.) much easier...

They just feel smoother to me than the Ultegra "long reach". Haven't tried the Silver extra-long reach sidepulls. I just don't like the looks of cantilevers...

Dave

chakatrain
03-14-2007, 07:32 PM
I rode the silver side pull brakes over the weekend at the Rivendell shop in Walnut Creek. I was absolutely pleasantly surprised at how nice they were. Simple, not too outrageously priced, stopped very well with good modulation. My Serotta III has short reach Chorus calipers (as if there is any other kind) and my Gunnar Crosshairs has Paul Neo-retro (which don't stop nearly as nicely as the Silver brakes).

My two cents.

Too Tall
03-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Threaded braze on for seattube light mount ala P.W.

Custom rear facing stem (mounts on seatpost) with integrated piece of bar to hang a handlebar bag facing backwards. Also, if you go for this idea have Kelly braze two small loops to fasten thin bungee cords from bottom corners of the bag to the frame (keeps it stable). This rig gives you the best "feel" when riding esp. out of the saddle with all the weight levered off the seatpost as it should be :) Furder, the boxy shape just makes it waaaay easier to stash bottles of wine out of sight ;) Your options are limited to: Bertoud...oh how awful for you pal!

dash
03-15-2007, 06:58 AM
custom bottle cage holding a custom titanium decanter

znfdl
03-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Pete:

I have one of the Elite Decanters. Should go fine with your new bike.

cpg
03-15-2007, 09:02 AM
32mm tires won't work very well with those fenders and Shimano standard reach dual pivots. The fender ends up too close to the tire and every pebble sounds like a boulder threatening to lodge. The Silver long reach will work as would the Paul centerpulls and cantis. If you never intend to go larger than 28mm then stick with the Shimano standard reach preferably with the brake reach at or near max.

Curt

cpg
03-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Threaded braze on for seattube light mount ala P.W.

Except PW won't sell the light unless it goes on a PW. So what would go there?

Curt

goonster
03-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Except PW won't sell the light unless it goes on a PW. So what would go there?

I've seen Bruce Gordon's light on something other than a Bruce Gordon. On the other hand, it generally gets mounted near the left rear dropout, and is not really suited for the seattube.

It's elegant, no doubt, but is the light on the seattube really that great? Even if I have a big frame (I do) and the light is low enough to peek out from under the bag, what if I get a bigger bag, or lash a jacket to it? Doh!

For location I suggest low on the left chainstay. Out of the way of everything, easily visible to cars, out of the face of the rider behind you.

What is the best (commercially available) rear light to mount to a custom fitting on a frame?

big shanty
03-15-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm having a bike made right now that is marrying a SON28 to a billet motorcycle spotlight. I talked to Peter last year re: teardrop front lights, and in essence he said, "I have a handful of them that I use, but dem's mine" (paraphrased!). He also said, "Hiroshi at Jitensha used to have something like this, but he doesn't seem to have them anymore." Ultimately, he said something to the effect of, "Your builder will figure it out." This is true....anyone who is creative and willing to experiment can find a way to wire in a functioning rear light and make it look slick. My bike will actually have an LED rear for a number of reasons.....but if I really wanted a wired rear, it would have been no problem.

dbrown
03-15-2007, 10:55 AM
If you like the Berthoud fenders, why not have Serotta paint them to match the color scheme, decals, etc that you'll have on the bike?

cpg
03-15-2007, 10:58 AM
I've seen Bruce Gordon's light on something other than a Bruce Gordon. On the other hand, it generally gets mounted near the left rear dropout, and is not really suited for the seattube.

It's elegant, no doubt, but is the light on the seattube really that great? Even if I have a big frame (I do) and the light is low enough to peek out from under the bag, what if I get a bigger bag, or lash a jacket to it? Doh!

For location I suggest low on the left chainstay. Out of the way of everything, easily visible to cars, out of the face of the rider behind you.

What is the best (commercially available) rear light to mount to a custom fitting on a frame?

Bruce's light is nice and he offers it commercially for other to use. PW doesn't offer his light to the masses.

Regarding location I think behind the seat tube is optimal IF you don't have a bag back there. Under the left chain stay works great too but the light is a little more exposed to possible physical damage and moisture which can be problematic to some lights. But not all lights are created equal!

Curt

Too Tall
03-15-2007, 11:08 AM
What prev. poster said agree. It is basically a bracket that you can fix an LED light to. ANYTHING that has a single centered rear facing mount for the bracket is adaptable.

There are several good lights that will look great and no adaptation required other than chucking the orig. bracket. Look up cateye part # "CATLT4011" aka "Horizontal Mount" and imagine the possibilities.

If the light mount (seat tube) were drilled and made like a goal post "H" than you could literally zip tie most lights in place or fashion a more substantial mount.

Actually, I prefer a wheat ale ;)

cpg
03-15-2007, 11:16 AM
But in this case the bike will be toting a small wine cellar in the back so how would the light be visible if mounted to the back of the seat tube? Remember fast back seat stays make for a smaller "opening" of visibility so the light would need to be mounted even lower. The light would do a nice job illuminating the wine bag while looking for the cork screw though. Maybe opt for a white light there and a red blinky somewhere else for visibility. :)

Curt

Ahneida Ride
03-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Pete

King Ti cages will hold just about anything.
Light and super strong ....

King Ti Cages (http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=KCTBC)

Too Tall
03-15-2007, 11:39 AM
(tch) Oh geeze I forget that he's got them i'll stumpy leg things not lodge pole pine trees ;) Anywho, he really isn't allowed out after dark so there you have it.

dauwhe
03-15-2007, 11:45 AM
My Saluki has barrel braze-ons on the seatstays, designed for rack mounts but perfect for attaching LED taillights. I like to have two--helps with peace of mind at night...

The upcoming bike will have braze-ons on the seatstays for the lights.

I haven't done it myself, but some really nice bikes have taillights mounted to the rear fender.

Dave

goonster
03-15-2007, 12:02 PM
The upcoming bike will have braze-ons on the seatstays for the lights.

Yes, but what lights? This is what I was trying to get at earlier. I've got lights clamped to each seatstay (different ones, vistalite and some kinda Cateye, methinks), but for a full-custom with dedicated fittings, which model of light would be the choice?

(Don't mean to hijack the thread. I hope this is still relevant and helpful to the OP)

Here is the Bruce Gordon light, which has a CNC aluminum housing and sells for a reasonable sum (ca. $30). I've seen it painted to match the frame, and IMO it looks OK near the dropout or on the chainstay, but I think it would look mp halfway up the seatstay.

http://www.bgcycles.com/light-big.jpg

72gmc
03-15-2007, 12:06 PM
I was about to mention the upper rack mounts for LED lights. That's one option I had in mind when I asked for rack mounts on my ride. Spanninga is one maker of the fender-mounted LED. My LBS has it. It's kinda large but I still may get one for the rear Berthoud.

goonster
03-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Spanninga is one maker of the fender-mounted LED.

Merely an anecdote, but I have personally seen a Spanninga light fly off a compadre's fender, bounce off the asphalt and be run over by a truck. May not have been the fault of the light, but it convinced me to never rely solely on a fender-mounted rear light. Doubly so for events where a successful completion may depend on the light's operation. Even for metal fenders, a light mounted there will be exposed to greater vibration than one on the frame or rack.

Too Tall
03-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Cateye LD-500
Cateye TL-270

*Go nutz : http://www.aztlanbicycle.com/lowrider-lights-mirrors.html

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Baby-Bee-Light/dp/B000M38FOS

Talk to the Dinote dewd about a battery pack or DIY.

There are alot of good options if you are willing to do some work.

Personally I'd choose the cateye as it has batteries inside and a decent seal. But if yah don't plan on getting it wet..wellll

dauwhe
03-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I like the Cateye LD-600, and have had good luck with it in horrible rainstorms. It's a bright sucker, too! I have that on one side, and the LD-500 on the other. My LD-500 hasn't seen much rain yet, so can't comment personally on weather-resistance.

Didn't like the 270/250 as much, just due to weird battery size, which didn't match anything else I had.

Dave

sg8357
03-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Brakes for 32mm tires plus fenders ?
That is the spec of my Kvale, Paul center pulls with Berthoud 40mm fenders.
Don't forget to spec downward facing fender mounts for the brake bridge and fork. Then have the fenders pin striped to match the bike.

If you don't like the Pauls use brazed on MAFAC Racers, cheap and French.
Lots on NOS Racers on ebay.

For tires get some of the Gran Bois 32s, fat, fast and phat.

Scott G.

Serotta PETE
03-15-2007, 01:21 PM
OK this needs to factored in so the wine stays nice and the light is visible.. (would not want to break a full bottle....but then they do not last long) :p

But in this case the bike will be toting a small wine cellar in the back so how would the light be visible if mounted to the back of the seat tube? Remember fast back seat stays make for a smaller "opening" of visibility so the light would need to be mounted even lower. The light would do a nice job illuminating the wine bag while looking for the cork screw though. Maybe opt for a white light there and a red blinky somewhere else for visibility. :)

Curt

Serotta PETE
03-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Cateye LD-500
Cateye TL-270

Personally I'd choose the cateye as it has batteries inside and a decent seal. But if yah don't plan on getting it wet..wellll

getting wet??? I might melt and the wine glasses will get dirty :confused: