PDA

View Full Version : Bleriot and Fenders

Erik.Lazdins
03-14-2007, 07:45 AM
I've ordered a Bleriot and am waiting for the box to show up so I can commence putting this ride together.

In my mind's eye I've seen Hammered honjos on this bike but want to get opinions on a durable elegant fender that doesn't require 3 arms and 4 hands to install. I would like one with ample length so that a mudflap is not needed.

This bike will see lots of rain/wet/OK spring "road sweat" use.

Thanks!

dauwhe
03-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Hard to argue with Berthoud or Honjo. Installation doesn't require extra limbs, just some time and patience. I'm pretty mechanically inept, and I've managed to do it four or five times, with quite good results.

My Saluki right now has 45mm smooth Honjos. I actually think it's easier to install the Honjos, as it's much easier to drill through aluminum than stainless steel.

There's some good installation advice on the web:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/berthoudinst.asp

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/honjinstl.html

Have fun!

Dave

Erik.Lazdins
03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Dave,
Thanks for the reply, I see that Jitensha Studio has a 45/20 and 50/25mm fender. Any reason to go for the larger fender?

Thanks,
Erik

dauwhe
03-14-2007, 08:23 AM
45mm fender is a rather tight fit with the Trimlines (37mm), but has been OK for me. I've run the 50mm Berthouds on the same bike, which seemed great with the Trimline, but way too big when I used the Megamium. No experience with the 50mm Honjos.

You might also ask on the 650B list...

Dave

bironi
03-14-2007, 09:02 AM
I've ordered a Bleriot and am waiting for the box to show up so I can commence putting this ride together.

In my mind's eye I've seen Hammered honjos on this bike but want to get opinions on a durable elegant fender that doesn't require 3 arms and 4 hands to install. I would like one with ample length so that a mudflap is not needed.

This bike will see lots of rain/wet/OK spring "road sweat" use.

Thanks!

Is the mudflap for your protection, or your buddies on your wheel. To protect your buddies, every fender requires a mudflap. :beer: