PDA

View Full Version : old bikes are like ex-girlfriends...

shinomaster
05-29-2004, 02:49 AM
they are still fun to ride, and you still love them...but it's just not the same as it was...

New bikes are like new girlfriends...Go figure... :crap: :crap: :crap:

dnovo
05-29-2004, 06:33 AM
I see that age has not withered your charm, Shino. Dave N.

Andreu
05-29-2004, 06:50 AM
cycling in general is like a cruel mistress.
Beautiful and alluring one minute then it kick you in the balls the next.
A :beer:

dnovo
05-29-2004, 07:00 AM
Ah, "gentelmen", if we really do need to continue this thread, which is insenitive at best, may I ask we raise the tone and language. May I also respectfully suggest that this is offensive not simply to our members of the other gender but should be offensive to all of us? Not cute, "gentelmen", no more posts. I was trying to gently chide Shino, who sometimes needs a gentle nudge, by my first response before my daughter wakes up (home from her first year at Vanderbilt Law as a Dean's Scholar, proud dad comment here folks) and she tracked him down and ripped off his head. Bikes, folks, bikes. Dave N. (recovering slowly from her birthday party last night, my average times this morning were in inverse proportion to the amount of food and spirits I had last night. God, my head and back REALLLLLLYYY ache.)

dnovo
05-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Oh, Morning Dave T. See that once again, you are up and about early. Getting much time on the revised Kirk. Dave N. (trying to change the direction here and wait for the massive dose of asprin to kick in.)

Andreu
05-29-2004, 07:04 AM
......given what's happened in the "Fulsom" rider thread this could (has?) deteriorate rapidly.
A

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Let’s go back to bikes. No offense to Shino--it’s a cute discussion, but probably more appropriate at midnight at the local bar at the TdFL . . .

Please don’t beat us up, Ginger. We are just a bunch of little boys in bigger bodies with nothing to do! :)

BBDave

dave thompson
05-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Oh, Morning Dave T. See that once again, you are up and about early. Getting much time on the revised Kirk. Dave N. (trying to change the direction here and wait for the massive dose of asprin to kick in.)
Actually I'm in Virginia spending the weekend with my son the Marine (also damned proud Dad), then flying home and unboxing my 'new' Legend ST and Hors Categorie, and going to try a 'which is best of the Dave Kirk rear-end test' in my copius free time. Or at least ride each one as much as possible. I think it's kinda cool to have 3 generations of Dave Kirk in my garage.

Roy E. Munson
05-29-2004, 07:30 AM
This is quite ironic, coming from the person who basically killed the original Serrota forum.

Let's end this thread now before people take their toys and go home.

Kevin
05-29-2004, 07:35 AM
Can anyone recommend a good handlebar?

Kevin

shannon
05-29-2004, 07:51 AM
??? this is one strange forum, I think they should have some pink to go with the light blue

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Huh?

BBD

dirtdigger88
05-29-2004, 09:29 AM
I think shannon is implying we are not secure with our manhood and need to make fun of women to make ourselves feel more complete. We are into bikes because we are rebelling against our controlling fathers who never let us ride enough as children. Now we are just a bunch of misfits. But what do I know I am tired after a 50 mile solo this morning. :p

Jason

shinomaster
05-29-2004, 01:10 PM
you guys...always assume I mean the worst!! How silly...I'll explain more later but the analogy can apply to woman men or whomever.. My bikes paralleled my life so It startled me.. :no:

dnovo
05-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Damn right, Roy, I'm the axe murderer that singehandedly killed off the old group. Caused the last Ice Age as well, and offed the dinosaurs. Want to blame me for 9/11 too? But don't let me or anything I say stop you from being the ongoing voice of self-worth on this forum. I realize that you need some outlet for you discontent. After all, having to wake up in the morning and realize that you are you is bad enough, eh? Dave N.

Roy E. Munson
05-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Careful with that axe, Eugene.
9/11? Sure, I'll be over to blow up your house tomorrow.
Relax, get some thicker skin. Last time someone insulted you like you just did I, you got in a tizzy, and went off your rocker - well, further off your rocker. Then the forum died.

Sandy
05-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Please, no more comments on this thread. The direction can only be down, Please just leave it and each other alone on this thread. No one wants this to spiral quickly out of hand.

PLEASE

Sandy

Roy E. Munson
05-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Sandy - agreed 100%!

dnovo
05-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Smile Sandy just having some fun. It's a holiday weekend, even if it is raining on and off here. Dave N.

shinomaster
05-29-2004, 04:42 PM
wow you guys ruined my perfect thread!!! :no: :no: :no: :no:

oracle
05-29-2004, 04:43 PM
the level of immaturity here quite levels me, actually. it would seem that shino is pointing out the human fascination with all things new, be they women, men, sheep or bicycles. we as humans like new things, we like to improve upon them, and make or get new and better ones, and voila! we have new york city, spaceships, and the pinarello dogma.

if you dont like the thread, dont read it. i find it off-putting from an intellectual/academic point of view to have imperious ( i could say pompous ) voices declaring the fitness or otherwise of what a person has to say, as well as repeatedly commanding others to silence themselves.

live and let live. and if you don't like it, click a different thread instead next time.

shinomaster
05-29-2004, 06:09 PM
yep I'm immature....But I'm not a big baby...oh wait maybe I am... :bike:

Long live the Oracle..

csb
05-29-2004, 07:51 PM
'pinarello dogma'
so, so very accurate

bostondrunk
05-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Oracle,
If you would add about 60 lines to your post, you would be in the same league as dbrk.

csb
05-29-2004, 08:09 PM
i believe douglas has taken his big bag of words out
of the sand box and over to europe on a little
trip, and if all goes to plan he'll bring back some new

Kevin
05-29-2004, 09:02 PM
DaveN,

Are you responsible for Aids and cancer?

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Do you remember when “Aids” used to be a diet candy? I always wondered what happened to that poor company and the guys who ran it after their signature product suddenly became a deadly disease . . .

Them were the good ole’ days!

BBDave

dnovo
05-29-2004, 10:32 PM
No, but I did fease a tort once. Dave N.

shinomaster
05-29-2004, 10:38 PM
what I failed to explain in my late night observation last night was that I wasn't just talking about sex...

I was fondly remebering an old friend while fondly remembering an older bike..A bike that cost a lot of money and just sits in my corner because I choose to ride on my new and more exciting , more pretty, bike..a bike that is exciting in every way...

The older bike was a beauty when new and still is, but my feeling have changed, and that is to me sad..and similar to a friendship of mine that has ended..

Everything new is more exciting like the wise Oracle stated...new bikes, new cars, new cities, new works of shinoware...and new loves...and friends...

Those of you who feel a need to police this phorum should in my opinion keep silent, and some of you childish big babies are far more insufferable and childish than I have ever been....

grow up,

Shinomaster

sellsworth
05-29-2004, 10:58 PM
The admiration of "new" is largely an American phenomenon. Elsewhere elders are much more respected. As an elder of this phorum we should respect Dnovo, but let us point out his contradictions. He says "bikes, folks, bikes" in the same post that he tells about the accomplishments of his offspring. If I'm right the many of the most popular posts on this phorum are not about about bikes but rather dogs, etc. Maybe there's only so much you can say about bikes.

Why are there so few women on this phorum? Is it because women find friends in their own physical community rather than having to look online for them?

oracle
05-29-2004, 11:02 PM
the 8th c. athenians, and ancient greeks in general, were patently fearful or mistrustful of 'the new'. you are indeed correct to point out that americans are, and have been quite contrary in their beliefs during our brief yet dominating history. part of our myopic greatness.

oracle

oracle
05-29-2004, 11:05 PM
btw

drunk: i cannot for the life of me imaging typing as much as dr. brk, i have precious little time, and i type wiyth no great speed....

shino: thanks for the wish for long life!

oracle

shinomaster
05-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Some of the elders here are less mature and more easily provoked than some of us younger fools...

How many females ride serottas?? I met a lovely friendly one on the road the other day...

I have noticed that woman in general care less aboutt the hight tech stuff.. the stuff we talk about ...the Woman seem to just want the bike, and then ride it and are happy...Men seem more impressed by gizmos and carbon crap..

oracle
05-29-2004, 11:13 PM
true

shinomaster
05-29-2004, 11:24 PM
I blame mail-order catalogues for the creation of this phenomenan. the need for new stuff.. How often do you oggle new bike parts every month in Colorado Cyclist mags..or Patagonia clothes, or Hamada pots in Bonhams catalogues...

sellsworth
05-29-2004, 11:28 PM
I've tried and tried but I can't get my wife to be impressed with my bikes. Furthermore I've tried to impress her with my rides (like the Death Ride.) No go. She only seems to be impressed when I clean the toilet. She is clearly into nesting behavior.

Could it be, way down deep in my instinctive subconscious, that I'm trying to impress other females? Of course! I'm yet another victim of my evolutionary heritage. All of the fine bikes you have is a result of you trying to increase your Darwinian fitness. All of the hard rides you put in is a result of your instinctive urge to procreate.

Shinomaster has indeed started the most important post of all that I've seen! Why do we ride? Why do we want nice looking bikes? The answer is simple. Darwinian fitness!

Thanks to Shinomaster for getting to the root core of our urges.

oracle
05-29-2004, 11:29 PM
amen

sellsworth
05-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Shinomaster - Colorado Cyclist doesn't create the urge - the urge is already in us. They are very good at exploiting it though. My credit card could certainly support this assertion.

shinomaster
05-29-2004, 11:38 PM
I have always dreamed of finding a mate whom whom I could share my Campy wheels...She the Neutrons...me the Eurus...How sweet... :banana: :banana:

Or it could be in my Moslem heritage to creat a bike harem!! The more the better!

sellsworth
05-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Shinomaster - you are in tune with your instictive urges. I'm married with great kids. I wouldn't expect your mates to keep interested in Campy wheels over the long haul. They may lure you in with that front but don't expect the interest in the wheels to last! There are always exceptions though. My wife and I have a great mountain bike ride planned for next Tuesday - the day before the kids are off for the summer.

BumbleBeeDave
05-30-2004, 09:48 AM
I have that same dream you do, but my experience--at least around here--is that there are very few available. I have seen more out on the roads this spring than last year, but they are always with a guy already. Why do I never see them out by themselves? Why do I never run into them on group rides or at the bike store? :confused:

Perhaps there is a bulletin board we don’t know about where these cycling couples get hooked up? I’d settle for one who just has a decent bike and likes to ride. Forget about the high-end toys. :(

Lonely BBDave . . . Boo-hoo!

shinomaster
05-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Usually what happenes is that the man gets the woman involved in cycling and then she gets the bike cute out fit and the race wheels...very common

Andreu
05-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Damn right, Roy, I'm the axe murderer that singehandedly killed off the old group. Caused the last Ice Age as well, and offed the dinosaurs. Want to blame me for 9/11 too? But don't let me or anything I say stop you from being the ongoing voice of self-worth on this forum. I realize that you need some outlet for you discontent. After all, having to wake up in the morning and realize that you are you is bad enough, eh? Dave N.
Some responses on this forum say more about the person than the post they are answering to.
Enlightened of Spain.
A

shinomaster
05-30-2004, 04:19 PM
seems to happen a lot here..

oracle
05-30-2004, 05:15 PM
jack nicholson and adam sandler in 'anger management' somehow spring to mind... or maybe the jerry springer show.

oracle

BumbleBeeDave
05-30-2004, 08:52 PM
. . . is like watching a train wreck (or Sandy riding! ;) ) . . . I know there’s about to be a big crash, but I can’t tear my eyes away! . . .

BBDave