PDA

View Full Version : Team 7-11 Murray built by Serotta

Walter
03-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I have acquired an '83/'84 red Team 7-11 Murray built by Serotta that the kind folks at Serotta feel may have been one of the Olympic year team bikes based on the serial number. It has the original equipment, but someone in the chain of ownership decided to razor blade off most of the decals/stickers. I need some help trying to find or recreate the stickers.

The original look stickers can be seen on the bike in this site (this is not my bike):
http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/Emailprice/American+Flyers/

Does anyone have any leads on where I might find these stickers/decals or the artwork? The people at Serotta have looked and they do not have the artwork. Help!

Walter Nash
Tucson AZ USA

Serotta PETE
03-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Since you have a picutre you might be able to have them made.

If bike needs refurbish, you could contact CycleART, SEROTTA, or even SPECTRUM (TOM KELLOGG). THey probably have sources to have them made.

Just buying the decals will be difficult if anyone has some FOR they will probably want to keep them.

IF SPOKES ever lets me have "visitation rights" I also have a Murray at his house. The argument he is using is that he is afraid that SANDY might find it - for it is SANDY's size. (as a result he had it hidden within his collection.)

Send Tom Kellogg (at SPECTRUM) a note. There are no better painters than him. Many talk about Joe BELL who is excellent BUT Tom does not take a back seat to any of them

dave thompson
03-13-2007, 09:24 AM
<snip>............Does anyone have any leads on where I might find these stickers/decals or the artwork? The people at Serotta have looked and they do not have the artwork. Help!

Walter Nash
Tucson AZ USA
Most any good bike painter, Joe Bell, CycleArt etc., should be able to either track down or recreate the decals for you. Give them a call.

OldDog
03-13-2007, 02:23 PM
+10 on TK.

If you find that frame a keeper it would be well worth it to send to TK or Serotta for a full refurbish, unless you are looking at it as a "collector" and wish to maintain the paint patina.

Satellite
03-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I also have a Murray Serotta. I don't remember what the font is but it is a standard font any sign shop can cut vinyl decals for you. I think it cost me like $5.00 for the Murray decals the Serotta decals for the chain stay cost $25.00. The repaint was $150 I had a premier local body shop (Velvet Hammer) repaint mine it has the Red/White Fade. They did a great job but lost my head badge. Make sure you get your head badge back. I am sure if you use any of the cycle specific painters they would be extra attentive to the head badge.

Best of Luck,

Satellite

P.S. Post some photo’s.

sailorboy
03-13-2007, 05:53 PM
If you want this to be done right I would go with someone like Joe Bell or Cyclart. I have had 2 bikes done by cyclart and one of their specialties is period correct decals. If they don't actually have originals in their huge collection they have the means to professionally create it on computer. Be warned, they aren't cheap, especially for decals but the final product is worth it.