PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Classique Information Needed

fishylittlethin
05-29-2004, 01:27 AM
Dear fellow Serotta riders,

I received a very excited call 2 days back from a friend who spotted a Serotta Classique Ti at a LBS, apparently at a closeout deal. He is currently riding an alumniun bike, and after my many praises on the Serotta CHT ride, he has been quite shaken, and want to try out the Serotta ride as well.

I went to the LBS with him last evening, and very unfortunately, it was in his size. :p The fit is perfect! That means he will have to seriously consider buying it, and think hard on how to tell his wife about buying another frame so soon!

I tried to do some research on the model, but could not find much information and would appreciate any help, reviews, opinions on it. I confess that I am a mountainbiker, and do not know anything about roadbikes.

1. What years were this model produced?
2. How does it compare to current models? What is the equivalent to today's model?
3. The titanium technology of the Classique is S2Ti, whilst my CHT is C4Ti. Is there alot of difference?
4. What was the Recommended Retail Price?

Finally, is it worth 1300 Euro, or should my mate opt for a later Serotta?

Many thanks for any help!
roadbike idiot, fishy

Tony Prioli
05-29-2004, 04:49 AM
It was the model before the "peleton". Which was dropped for the fierte ti. It does not have serotta concept tubing, but has very high quality ti tubes. Much like the competition. The fierte is a better bike, because of the down tube. It is tapered like all other serotta models. That being said, the model is about 4 seasons ago, maybe 5. The replacement was the peleton, it had an aero down tube, and sloping top tube. IT was gone fast. I sold about 5 classique ti frames, and my customers loved it. So if it is a deal, get it. You will like it. IF it is close to fierte price, get a fierte. I can scan a photo, and literature from an old catalog next week, or maybe mail you an old catalog with the model.

Tony
tonyp@chainwheeldrive.com

Smiley
05-29-2004, 05:02 PM
I believe that Tony is correct in the fact that the Classique Ti did not have a CC tube set in the main traingle BUT the seat and chain stays were CC tubing. The peleton did have a CC tube in the seat tube only as well as the stays and in my opinion was a very nice deal . Now its replaced with the current Fierte which has a CC down tube only as well as the stays but is a compact geometry. I have never heard a compliant about any serotta but don't feel that the classique is a better deal than the Fierte just becasue the tube set is better all around. BUT if the classique fits and the dealer is talking then make the deal. No talk no deal. :banana:

csb
05-29-2004, 08:03 PM
is it not the first model serotta chose to be
'french fit'?

fishylittlethin
05-31-2004, 02:55 AM
Thanks all. It was certainly a great help in informing my mate. He is really excited about it although he says it is still a toss between buying and walking.

Tony, many thanks for the offer of the catalog scan. I found an old Serotta 99 catalog online and saw that the Classique is inside. Will be forwarding my mate the information.

csb, should he be concerned about a french fit? I am clueless on roadbike geometry, and he aint exactly an experienced rider as well. We were taking measurements purely based on the top tube and the seat tube lengths.

Finally, is 1300 Euro (around US$1400) worth the frame price assuming it is a perfect fit? He is not going to use the fork since it is threaded. He will be trying to use as many of his old components (to save costs) as possible. If not, what is a good price?

Many thanks for all insights.
cheers, fishy

csb
05-31-2004, 12:55 PM
ignore me i was being puerile

shinomaster
05-31-2004, 01:31 PM
I think I test rode one back in 1999 It was beautiful and super smooth and light but it wasn't stiff enough for my explosive uphill sprinting so I got an Atlanta.. I thought it was just under the concorse?

Ken Robb
05-31-2004, 02:06 PM
I kind of remember the Serotta catalog saying that while it wasn't Colorado Concept tubing it was at least as good as anybody else's ti bike and that it was slanted a bit toward comfort rather than racing.

fishylittlethin
06-02-2004, 01:27 AM
Thanks all for the inputs. My mate just bought the frame, and he is really happy about it. It is now in his mum's garage, awaiting a proper time to show it to his wife. Apparently, these 2 months aint exactly going to be perfect. It is definately going to be a winter project in building her up. cheers, fishy :)

Dekonick
06-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Grats to your friend on his new bike.