PDA

View Full Version : I went to a Campagnolo tech seminar tongiht...

zank
03-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Very well done by the Campagnolo rep. Take aways...
1. The safety spring on the UT cranks stays in, without question.
2. As I found during my last few Campagnolo builds and something further stressed tonight, 42 Nm, which is the torque spec on the UT crank bolt, is pretty high. A torque wrench is a very good idea. Most people who only go by feel torque it up to 30 Nm before they stop because they think they are going to strip the bolt. The lock washer only works when that bolt is at 42 Nm.
3. The Record and Chorus cranks are identical except for the hollow arms and spider on Record. The rings on Record and Chorus are identical.
4. Campagnolo is beginning to require distributors to stock more spare parts, which is a very, very welcome idea. Tougher for the distributor because they have to keep more inventory, but a great thing for the rest of us.
5. 36/50 CT cranks should be coming in April. 177.5 mm Record cranks are arriving in the US next week. 180 mm Record cranks are shipping from Italy in two weeks.

I was a wise-a** and asked when the Campagnolo LW-knockoffs would being coming out of Vicenza. All I got was crickets. No sense of humor I guess.

If you have any other tech questions, fire away. I may or may not be able to help. How's that for being non-committal?

gt6267a
03-12-2007, 08:23 PM
If you have any other tech questions, fire away. I may or may not be able to help. How's that for being non-committal?

when is campy coming out with mtn bike parts? i am tired of buying parts from the enemy.

zank
03-12-2007, 08:27 PM
when is campy coming out with mtn bike parts? i am tired of buying parts from the enemy.

That's a marketing question, not a tech question. :)

catulle
03-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Did anyone ask if there will be any silver Record parts in the future? How about the future of the pedals (I hear they might be discontinued)? Thank you.

(By the way, I went deep-sea fishing on Sunday. All reels except one were Penn International. One was a Shimano. No one used the Shimano.) Any chance that Campagnolo issue a line of reels? :no:

zank
03-12-2007, 08:31 PM
(By the way, I went deep-sea fishing on Sunday. All reels except one were Penn International. One was a Shimano. No one used the Shimano.) Any chance that Campagnolo issue a line of reels? :no:

Again, that's a marketing question. :)

No word on either the silver Record parts or the discontinuation of the pedals. He did not have any information on the 2008 lineup. At least, he wouldn't leak any.

Grant McLean
03-12-2007, 08:33 PM
I'll fire away, in no particular order....

QS vs Non QS front ders. Does it matter what you mix and match?

Regular (long) reach side pulls in the works?

Is the 2007 neutron rim different than the '06
or is the neutron ultra rim the same as the std neutron from '06?

Catulle wanted to know is they got his 'silver parts' emails?

can they change the chain connector again, please (ok, that's sarcasm)
but did they ok any aftermarket quick links?

what's with the new record lower headset cups? cheaper?

how about a 12-23 chorus cassette?

alright, i'll stop for now!

g

pdxmech13
03-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Rob hosted our event in portland and I had been to better seminars. No real info was given than what was in the instructions. I mean if a tyre is so loose you can put your head between the rim and the tyre do you think that putting it on is a smart decision. oh and aluminum/carbon rims are not interchangable with the same brake shoes ? I felt as if 2nd grade had come again. Needless to say I ordered a stupid Centaur kit a week later and now have enjoyed around 500 miles on it. Best stuff campy has made in a while and I've owned dem all.

pdxmech13
03-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Grant QS will work with non QS in any configuration your just not gonna get the benefit.

the 07 neutron rim is not lighitened betwenn da spokes however the ultra is !

they would never say a competitors link would work with there chain and as far as I know they have the narrowest chain @ 5.9mm

atmo
03-12-2007, 09:05 PM
did they touch on the airform shoe line and when
it might see more than prototype status atmo?

Serotta PETE
03-12-2007, 09:08 PM

I have them being 'airfreighted' to use as I type..... They will be swizzled in colour :D :D

zank
03-12-2007, 09:10 PM
I'll fire away, in no particular order....

QS vs Non QS front ders. Does it matter what you mix and match?

Regular (long) reach side pulls in the works?

Is the 2007 neutron rim different than the '06
or is the neutron ultra rim the same as the std neutron from '06?

Catulle wanted to know is they got his 'silver parts' emails?

can they change the chain connector again, please (ok, that's sarcasm)
but did they ok any aftermarket quick links?

what's with the new record lower headset cups? cheaper?

how about a 12-23 chorus cassette?

alright, i'll stop for now!

g

1. QS vs non-QS. Here's the scoop. No problem mixing them but keep these in mind:
mixing QS Ergopower with non-QS front derailleur = much harder effort at the lever to move the chain to the big chainring
mixing non-QS Ergopower with QS front derailleur = 2 throws of the lever to move the chain to the big chainring
2. He would not divulge any 2008 line information.
3. He mentioned that the 07 Neutron basically took over for the 06 Proton and the 07 Neutron Ultra took over for the 06 Neutron. The 07 Neutron rim is not milled (similar to the 06 Proton) and the 07 Neutron Ultra rim is milled (similar to the 06 Neutron). He did not say if the 06 Neutron rim was indentical to the 07 Neutron Ultra rim, but they appear to be very close.
4. At one point, he said if anyone knows that guy on the Serotta board who keeps emailing about silver Record parts to tell him to stop emailing. Silver is not in style for top end parts in Europe right now. If they changed back to silver, there would be no way for passer-bys to know it was top-end. Black parts = Record = tres chic :rolleyes:
5. Not a single person asked about chains or quicklinks. Sorry!
6. Even fewer people asked about headsets than chains. Sorry!
7. The same guy who would have asked about chains and headsets probably would have asked about a 12/23 chorus cassette. :crap:

I told you I wouldn't be much help.

zank
03-12-2007, 09:11 PM

No 08 line information. :rolleyes:

Johny
03-12-2007, 09:41 PM
4. At one point, he said if anyone knows that guy on the Serotta board who keeps emailing about silver Record parts to tell him to stop emailing. Silver is not in style for top end parts in Europe right now. If they changed back to silver, there would be no way for passer-bys to know it was top-end. Black parts = Record = tres chic :rolleyes:

That isn't me.

I only stock Record and Chorus silver stuff now so one day I will make a lot of money out of the NOS Campy market on ebay.

shinomaster
03-12-2007, 09:59 PM
What is a LW?

Big Dan
03-12-2007, 10:01 PM
How many Italians living in Taiwan nowadays???

:confused:

Johny
03-12-2007, 10:05 PM
How many Italians living in Taiwan nowadays???

:confused:

Likely not as many as Americans in Iraq. :confused:

zank
03-12-2007, 10:08 PM
What is a LW?

Lightweight. As in the uber-expensive all composite wheels that so many around the world would love to have. Mavic and Lew just introduced their wheels that will compete with the Lightweights and ADAs. Is it only a matter of time before Campagnolo and Shimano enter the arena?

petitelilpettit
03-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Did they say anything about the BB cups? Our mechanic talked with someone directly at Campy USA and they said that the BB cups needed to be Loctited with Loctite 222MS. Anything about this? Seems to be very strange, but the reasoning was the inability to torque-rate the installation of the BB cups (i believe).

Anything on this? Thanks Zank!

Pettit

Dave
03-13-2007, 11:30 AM
1. QS vs non-QS. Here's the scoop. No problem mixing them but keep these in mind:
mixing QS Ergopower with non-QS front derailleur = much harder effort at the lever to move the chain to the big chainring
mixing non-QS Ergopower with QS front derailleur = 2 throws of the lever to move the chain to the big chainring

I'm don't think you're quite straight on the QS shifter and FD change. The QS shifter has one new rachet that merely causes the finger lever to engage the cable sooner. The QS FD has a longer lever arm. The result is lower effort, but 5 clicks to go from the little ring to the big ring on a double. That's the maximum sweep of the left finger lever.

If a non QS FD is used with a QS ergo lever, it is not any harder to push the lever than it has been previously, since there is no change to the mechanical advantage between the shift lever and the FD.

A non QS shift lever should not require 2-throws of the shift lever to shift from the little ring to the big ring. It should take the same five clicks, which is within the ability of the lever. A triple crank takes the same five clicks to shift from the little ring to the middle ring, with one swep of the lever.

Triple FDs are not QS - they work exactly the same as before. With the QS shifter, the finger lever just engages sooner.

zank
03-13-2007, 03:30 PM
That all sounds good to me, Dave. I was just going by what the rep presented in his powerpoint presentation. He had a slide up that had the two combinations and their probable result.

Pettit, they did show the Loctite method. They described this as the inferior method of installing the crankset. Basically, if you don't have the cup wrench, you use a lot of purple Loctite and just thread the cups in hand tight. Then, let it cure overnight before the rest of the assembly I have the wrench, so no Loctitie for me. But the rep said he did his bike like that last June and has been riding it that way ever since.

swoop
03-13-2007, 03:55 PM
i thought i heard sumthin about the cups being made out of steel now as opposed to aluminum... but i haven't seen it. nor have i had anything but good stuff to say about the two sets i have.

i do check the torque on the bb once a month and hvae had to tighten it once. but .. so what?

zank
03-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Swoop, they said they had a running change in the anodize color, but not a material change. The cups now look a little more like gun-metal than a bright polish. Still aluminum though.