PDA

View Full Version : Diff Between Campy 11spd Double/Triple RDs

Nomadmax
06-17-2021, 05:42 AM
I'm looking at some NOS 11spd long cage rear derailleurs to use on my 10spd bikes. I see that some of the Athena and Centaur long cage RDs are for double and some are for triple set ups.

My question is, what makes them different, model for model, double vs triple (given that they are both long cage)?

Is the cage slightly longer on the "triple" version?

oldpotatoe
06-17-2021, 06:19 AM
I'm looking at some NOS 11spd long cage rear derailleurs to use on my 10spd bikes. I see that some of the Athena and Centaur long cage RDs are for double and some are for triple set ups.

My question is, what makes them different, model for model, double vs triple (given that they are both long cage)?

Is the cage slightly longer on the "triple" version?

Longer cage either for a BIG cogset(12-30) or triple. A place to put the extra chain you need to safely go to big-big combo w/o killing anything. AND, yes, you can use a 'long cage' rear der on a double CR setup.

Those '11s' rear ders will work great with otherwise 10s shifters too.

Ralph
06-17-2021, 07:48 AM
I don't remember any Campy long cage RD's being advertised as RD's for double set ups. Med cage were. The Athena long cage did get the newer style pulleys, and is backwards compatible with last 10's shifters (and probably earlier ones also).

The long cage were for triples, back when 12-30 10's and (as I recall) 12-29 11's cassettes (before 11-32). And, again as I recall, all long cages had same cage length, and med cage same cage length.

But we all knew long cages also work well for doubles and big cassettes. As I recall.....when Athena 11 was introduced, a med cage was mentioned, but I never saw one because the short cage Athena was designed to wrap up all the double compact combinations.

I'm currently running one bike with Campy 10's triple and med cage. Works fine, but if I used more difference in front chainrings, or bigger cassette in back, a long cage would be better and to avoid slack small cogs. I would imagine last Campy long cage RD's are getting expensive.

Mark McM
06-17-2021, 08:04 AM
In addition to the long cage, the Athena triple rear derailleur (and I think the Centaur as well) has a longer 'B' knuckle. This has the affect of moving the cage and pulleys downward a small amount, better clearing larger sprockets.

Nomadmax
06-17-2021, 08:26 AM
Thanks all! Looks like there's no downside to using the triple version vs the double.

Ralph
06-17-2021, 08:53 AM
In addition to the long cage, the Athena triple rear derailleur (and I think the Centaur as well) has a longer 'B' knuckle. This has the affect of moving the cage and pulleys downward a small amount, better clearing larger sprockets.

True