PDA

View Full Version : NYC Cyclist stabbed food delivery man

tuxbailey
06-15-2021, 12:07 PM
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/nyc-food-delivery-worker-stabbed-on-way-to-dropoff-by-man-on-bike-cops/3105523/

What is wrong with people?!

jkbrwn
06-15-2021, 12:14 PM
'Cyclist stabs deliveryman' should read 'Man on bike stabs deliveryman'.

Still. Wild.

Big Dan
06-15-2021, 12:19 PM
Lots of crazy sh1t going on.
Summer is just starting.

yinzerniner
06-15-2021, 12:20 PM

Still. Wild.
From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cyclist

cyclist
noun
cy·​clist | \ ˈsī-k(ə-)ləst \
Definition of cyclist
: one who rides a cycle

So yeah, that's a cyclist who stabbed a deliveryman for no reason whatsoever. Hope they catch that a-hole and throw the book at 'em.

.RJ
06-15-2021, 12:21 PM

Still. Wild.

meanwhile a cyclist murdered by a driver is an "accident"

zmalwo
06-15-2021, 12:22 PM
It's NYC... with that many people you get an assorted humanity :p

C40_guy
06-15-2021, 12:35 PM
Article says "Man on Bike..."

jkbrwn
06-15-2021, 12:36 PM
From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cyclist

cyclist
noun
Definition of cyclist
: one who rides a cycle

So yeah, that's a cyclist who stabbed a deliveryman for no reason whatsoever. Hope they catch that a-hole and throw the book at 'em.

Cool. Irrespective of dictionary definitions, IMO there is a perceived difference between a cyclist and someone who is merely on a bicycle :) And that's just my opinion.

@C40_Guy, it did, but the banner on the TV news report didn't.

fmradio516
06-16-2021, 09:37 AM
The next story after that video was "‘Gone Girl' Actor Lisa Banes Dies After Hit-and-Run Scooter Crash in NYC" Scooter rider ran a red light and hasnt been identified yet either.

Gummee
06-16-2021, 09:46 AM

Still. Wild.

I'm with you on this one. You can be on a bicycle and still not be 'a cyclist.' I see that all the time in DC.

It's immediately obvious to cyclists that most people riding around the city aren't. Unfortunately, the masses of drivers can't tell one from the other.

The screwy thing about that is I live 45mi from DC out in the country and STILL get 'well I saw these cyclists in DC running red lights...'

M

citycyclist247
06-21-2021, 01:04 AM
Summer of love is just getting started.

NYC is wild these days. Would not recommend ppl to come here for vacation.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2021, 06:17 AM
meanwhile a cyclist murdered by a driver is an "accident"

Here we go again..it 'seems' like as long as the person on a bike is called a 'cyclist', he occupies some place on some pedestal, is very, very special and should be revered. But if the guy is just on a bike..like, who cares?

Along with 'murdered', BIG word. Same circumstances..pedestrian hit by car..car driver gets some big punishment but if the driver hits a 'cyclists', well, the legal system will let the driver go..

:eek:
It's immediately obvious to cyclists that most people riding around the city aren't[/B]. Unfortunately, the masses of drivers can't tell one from the other.

cyclist
noun
Definition of cyclist
: [B]one who rides a cycle

nooneline
06-21-2021, 09:13 AM
Summer of love is just getting started.

NYC is wild these days. Would not recommend ppl to come here for vacation.

Absolute nonsense, this is a product of fearmongering from politicians and the media.

There's a slight uptick in some types of violent crime, but crime rates overall are lower than they were a few years ago (and WAAAAAY below where they were in the 1980s), and NYC still has a lower murder rate, for example, than the national rate.

RoosterCogset
06-21-2021, 09:15 AM
Article says "Man on Bike..."

If the stabber had been driving, the article would have been worded "Car stabs cyclist".

citycyclist247
06-21-2021, 09:29 AM
I live here man. I see it on the news, Citizen app and in real life. Pre pandemic was considerably safer. Criminals and troublemakers are bold these days.

Absolute nonsense, this is a product of fearmongering from politicians and the media.

There's a slight uptick in some types of violent crime, but crime rates overall are lower than they were a few years ago (and WAAAAAY below where they were in the 1980s), and NYC still has a lower murder rate, for example, than the national rate.

nooneline
06-21-2021, 10:03 AM
I live here too. I also work closely with researchers on this and have been deep in the data on this.

Again, this time with sources: while homicides and shootings have ticked up slightly, overall, crime is down in NYC (source (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/nyregion/mayor-race-nyc-crime-police.html)) - and even this uptick in shootings and homicides leaves us lower than just a few years ago (see image).

And even though the police do plenty of fearmongering, their official position is that the rise is something that people feel more than experience. On subway crime:
Kathleen O’Reilly, the Police Department’s transit bureau chief, has criticized what she calls “continued fearmongering.”

“It’s a disservice to New Yorkers to advance a narrative that crime is soaring in the subways when it’s simply not the case,” she told transit officials at an agency board meeting in April.

"I see it on the news, Citizen app" - This is basically exactly what I'm talking about, so thanks for saying it. The newsmedia overemphasizes violent crime (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S221242091930603X). Perceptions of safety and crime can be very different from the actual facts.

philhan89
06-21-2021, 10:32 AM
PL really selling NYC lol. anyone who rides in the city, or any big city for that matter, is gonna encounter "beyond imagination" situations. just stay frosty on those commutes in/out of the city. at the end of a long ride getting back home and avoiding these types of situations is the hardest part.

citycyclist247
06-21-2021, 01:56 PM
It could have been random. On the other hand there could have been words said that angered the suspect and provoked him to stab the rider.

I wonder if they'll even find the guy.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/nyc-food-delivery-worker-stabbed-on-way-to-dropoff-by-man-on-bike-cops/3105523/

What is wrong with people?!

marciero
06-21-2021, 03:25 PM
It could have been random. On the other hand there could have been words said that angered the suspect and provoked him to stab the rider.

I wonder if they'll even find the guy.

From what appears to be a militia style camo balaclava and 8-10" hunting or chef's knife I'd say it is more likely that it was planned.

...while homicides and shootings have ticked up slightly, overall, crime is down in NYC (source (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/nyregion/mayor-race-nyc-crime-police.html)) - and even this uptick in shootings and homicides leaves us lower than just a few years ago (see image).

But on the other hand it is worth noting that racially and religiously motivated hate crimes have spiked in recent years after years of decline. Hate crimes overall are at their highest since 2008. This is nationwide; not sure the picture in NYC.