PDA

View Full Version : Trek Speaks!

Dave B
03-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Last month or so (they seem to all run together during the winter) Scott Daubert from Trek gave a small presentation and Q & A at a Cincy trek store. Loads of tech speak and how great trek is, which is neither good nor bad, but I loved asking him about all the "Lance" days and stuff. I know many people are tired of Lance, but in my short life he has made a huge impact and I will always be grateful for his motivation.

Anyway I had to ask some questions that were killing me with regards to stuff I had read in the books. Scott was very honest and very cool to listen to. He never once said anything that lead me to believe that he (Scott)was not of the utmost class. He also let it slip that he has tons of bikes form other companies he rides on his own, but didn't confess to which ones they were. I heard him say he loved steel.

It was fun to hear someone around Lance describe his "ways" and things of that sort. For me it was how pissed Trek was when Lance nixed their secret TT bike and how much it cost them to develope it. How Johan was the one who said no way to the fairing on the Madone. Lance hated the bike at first until they gave him the super light one. Stuff like that. Things you read and for me I always wanted to know.

But one thing that really was cool was how Scott explained how Lance trained. Some moron had to ask if Lance was a doper, and Scott smiled almost like he was having a private joke. Scott began to explain that he had been with Lance 100's of times when he was training alone or with other pros (USPS/Discovery people or other "Big" Names) on their private training trips. He said Lance would just kill them all on the the climbs, no one EVER could keep up with him. I have always thought he was amazing, but to hear actual stories about his riding ability and how obsessed he was with being the best really hit home. I guess I have always thought the greatest champions should be the ones with a killer mindset, a lot like I suppose Merckx was. Scott described only once did he see Lance bonk and scott had to pull him up a mountain, but it was like on a 7 hour ride that hit the mountains and Scott said he had hung onto the car the entire time up the mountain as he couldn't even stay with the support car. Scott also was at one time a Cat 1 or 2 racer. Lance asks for a Mars bar and a coke and once he had downed it he took off again. I loved that story, and no I did not do it justice, but you get the jist.

Anyway just getting a thought out of my head as my pensive is full!

ada@prorider.or
03-12-2007, 10:52 AM
first of all i have great respect of lance in the first place

but this is simply not true

"He said Lance would just kill them all on the the climbs, no one EVER could keep up with him"

as i know lance from 1992
he get dropped huge amount of times even in training

even have it on video

Dave B
03-12-2007, 10:55 AM
post cancer, as I think this is what he meant. Plus I am just relaying a story! :beer:

JasonH
03-12-2007, 10:56 AM
You mean back before he went through chemo and lost 15 lbs to become an ideally built climber?

Dave B
03-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Wait no, after he went thorugh Chemo and got rid of his cancer. When he did become physically suited to climb.

coylifut
03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm I the only one who thinks he looked a little bigger every year from 99 on?

Adding to this, a friend of mine who worked for one of Postal's sponsors went to their training camp in Spain. My friend, an ex D3 pro was given a kit and invited to ride with the team. He said Lance would sit at the back for 2 1/2 hours while the rest of the squad would take turns up front. He'd then sit on the front for 2 1/2 hours and blow guys to the back one by one until the ride was over.

The talk of the camp was this new guy named Boonen who was there, but riding a Litespeed.

Wayne77
03-12-2007, 11:51 AM
The story is referencing his post cancer years as a veteran pro, not the early years.

first of all i have great respect of lance in the first place

but this is simply not true

"He said Lance would just kill them all on the the climbs, no one EVER could keep up with him"

as i know lance from 1992
he get dropped huge amount of times even in training

even have it on video

LesMiner
03-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I think it was 1995 that Lance was totally blown away by Indiran in the individual time trial. I will never forget Lance being passed as if he was standing still. Pantani out climbed Lance but later dropped out of the tour. Dominating the tour is not always being the fastest or the strongest climber. What made Lance great was his physical ability combined with a team and a strategy. Seven tour wins in a row puts Lance above all others.

mikki
03-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Things you read and for me I always wanted to know.

First of all, Mr. President, you have responded to one of my threads and were most helpful, I appreciate that....you are positive and helpful which I think is the main mission of this website...

Secondly, I have met Lance three times, have ridden "with" him at his Ride for the Roses in Austin, Texas and in Portland, Oregon. He is amazing. Could be waited down with anchors and still ride faster than any of us could imagine riding. He flew by me several times and was talking as if he was standing still!! However, he cannot sustain a relationship, is obviously an addictive personality and probably on the edge of being an alcoholic (his dad handed him the genes) and pretty sexist. Even so, his abilities on the bike (who cares what he did prior cancer treatments??!!), his commitment to furthering cancer research and within his own foundation (awesome & organized treatment of their fundraisers) are things I admire. I hate the other part of him...his inability to work things out in relationships, his "holier than thou" attitude and the example of excess that he is exhibiting now...Heck, we ALL have positive and negative attitributes, don't we? He inspired me to ride. :hello: :hello:

I aspire to leave a legacy in my field of massage therapy like Lance has in the cycling field...

ada@prorider.or
03-23-2007, 06:37 AM
good post mikki!!

Dave B
03-23-2007, 07:07 AM
I agree totally mikki.

I also think that many athletes/champions probably have to have that sort of personality to not doubt themselves. I would think being arrogant is necessary for a champion like Lance. I cannot imagine what he must be like in person. I would however love the opportunity to be in his inner circle.

I read something Tiger once said about his friends. I also think it is similiar to Lance. They have their friends and are extremly demanding of this friendship, probably ask them to do things most of us would turn our nose up at. In addition if these friends leak private info (not dirty, but genuinely private) these two right them off. Call it stubborn, or whatever, but they also show the loyality in return. I knwo Tiger has caddied for a couple of his friends. he takes them all ver the world and treats them to fantasy vacations, only celebrities enjoy. There may be rules, but that kid of ferociousness is addictive....to me.

Is Lance perfect, heck no. BUT, we each look on others with tainted/biased lenses. Our own reality sometimes limits others from being accepted.

Why does a hot woman marry and ugly guy...while that is a siple example, you see my point.

I met Lance for like 2 minutes, and he said thanks to me. I paid him the few minutes a respect I thought he deserved (this was in 97 when he was at the Little 500 in Bloomington) Got his autograph and moved on with my life.

I grad school several years later when he was goign for his I think 3rd win and his 1st book came out, I personally was battling sever depression. I read his book and got enough energy to get on my road bike (ironically a Lemond) and go for a ride. I got home threw up, cried and felt better then I had in a long time. I did this over and over until I no longer needed pot and alcohol to feel better.

Does Lance care that he helped me....come on he could give a rat's nut sack that I am alive. BUT, for me, I am able to use my biased lenses and worship him for not so much who heis, but what he represents. Like you.

I had one of the first Livestrong bracelets shipped ot from the LAF. In all of these years it has never once come off my wrist. I got married in it, made my daughter in it, lost my grandmother, uncvle, firend, and grandmother-in-law to cancer in it. Almost lost my wife when our daughter was born in it and so on. Does Lance Care, nope, but I feel a part of soemthing and that is what he has done for me.

I have this overwhelming desire to fight for Lance when someone bad mouths him. Silly I know, but it is only because of how I have my own personal relationship in my life.

Mikki, I enjoyed what you wrote. I respect your point of view and you are right on. I guess at my core I like to believe in the positive. everyone has negatives, but I get tired of people pointign that stuff out. So many of us would rather humanize our heroes so they are more like us, then to work harder at being a hero ourselves.

I am totally jealous that you have had the opportunity to ride with him. When he was here in Indy for the race to replace i basically snuck my way onto the golf cart that paced the riders around. Being about 15 feet from him when I had my moment of glory to say soething , I asked him to ride the Hilly Hundred (charity ride) with me. yeah my moment of glory was me asking Lance ona date. My wife still gives me a hard time on that one. Needless to say he didn't show. But I am still hopefull! :D

csm
03-23-2007, 08:42 PM
mr president, i am on my 3rd yellow bracelet. the other 2 wore out.

obtuse
03-23-2007, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=mikki]However, he cannot sustain a relationship, is obviously an addictive personality and probably on the edge of being an alcoholic (his dad handed him the genes) and pretty sexist. QUOTE]

dude- that alchoholic thing is so left field i wish archibald was here to bihac slap your smugness right off your face.....and i don't even like lance. why is his personal life and "inability to handle a relationship" any of your concern? the guy can pedal a bicycle better than pretty much anyone else in the world; and i detest what he and his cadre of colorado springs douchebags are doing to pro cycling but i really do not understand your "hatred" for some random celebraty's personal life. hell, back when i was banging madonna with furious regularity you didn't see playa hatas like don ferris getting all up in MY grill just because they were stuck with cyndi lauper and shi'ite....

obtuse

atmo
03-23-2007, 09:15 PM
However, he cannot sustain a relationship, is obviously an addictive personality and probably on the edge of being an alcoholic (his dad handed him the genes) and pretty sexist.

dude- that alchoholic thing is so left field i wish archibald was here to bihac slap your smugness right off your face.....and i don't even like lance.

obtuse
if he doesn't pick up on the third ring, i know his
password and can channel him pretty well atmo.

obtuse
03-23-2007, 09:18 PM
if he doesn't pick up on the third ring, i know his
password and can channel him pretty well atmo.

check out my edits yo....even better now.

obtuse

obtuse
03-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Why does a hot woman marry and ugly guy...

dude-

i know you're the president and all but you've got to keep my wife out of this.

obtuse

mikki
03-24-2007, 04:55 AM
[

"dude- that alchoholic thing is so left field i wish archibald was here to bihac slap your smugness right off your face.....and i don't even like lance. why is his personal life and "inability to handle a relationship" any of your concern? the guy can pedal a bicycle better than pretty much anyone else in the world; and i detest what he and his cadre of colorado springs douchebags are doing to pro cycling but i really do not understand your "hatred" for some random celebraty's personal life. hell, back when i was banging madonna with furious regularity you didn't see playa hatas like don ferris getting all up in MY grill just because they were stuck with cyndi lauper and shi'ite.... "

First of all, I am not a dude. Secondly, you missed the ENTIRE POINT of my email. Are you sleepy or something? I am a Lance FAN, even though he has faults. He is well known to drink alot and in fact has margueritas daily (his buddy is a great bartender, so says Lance). I was saying SO WHAT to that. I have negatives in my personality, you have, we ALL have. SO WHAT?! It is the legacy that is important, even though I personally don't like that he leaves his kids and wife, etc. nor admits that he doesn't deal with his emotions. I've seen numerous interviews that such a subject pops up. I admire so much that he has done and like Mr. President, think that people try to bring heros down in order to humunaize them rather than trying to uplift themselves to the rank of hero.

Communication is such an interesting thing...I thought my main message was clear; I guess not to everyone. :crap:

swoop
03-24-2007, 09:06 AM
i blame dr phil....

Jeff N.
03-24-2007, 09:29 AM
[

"dude- that alchoholic thing is so left field i wish archibald was here to bihac slap your smugness right off your face.....and i don't even like lance. why is his personal life and "inability to handle a relationship" any of your concern? the guy can pedal a bicycle better than pretty much anyone else in the world; and i detest what he and his cadre of colorado springs douchebags are doing to pro cycling but i really do not understand your "hatred" for some random celebraty's personal life. hell, back when i was banging madonna with furious regularity you didn't see playa hatas like don ferris getting all up in MY grill just because they were stuck with cyndi lauper and shi'ite.... "

First of all, I am not a dude. Secondly, you missed the ENTIRE POINT of my email. Are you sleepy or something? I am a Lance FAN, even though he has faults. He is well known to drink alot and in fact has margueritas daily (his buddy is a great bartender, so says Lance). I was saying SO WHAT to that. I have negatives in my personality, you have, we ALL have. SO WHAT?! It is the legacy that is important, even though I personally don't like that he leaves his kids and wife, etc. nor admits that he doesn't deal with his emotions. I've seen numerous interviews that such a subject pops up. I admire so much that he has done and like Mr. President, think that people try to bring heros down in order to humunaize them rather than trying to uplift themselves to the rank of hero.

Communication is such an interesting thing...I thought my main message was clear; I guess not to everyone. :crap:If drinkin' Maggies, shots of Patron and pints of Shiner Bock are Lance's thing...then he and I are more alike than I thought! :beer: Jeff N.

ada@prorider.or
03-24-2007, 10:27 AM
dude-

i know you're the president and all but you've got to keep my wife out of this.

obtuse

(lol)