PDA

View Full Version : who talked to whom?

ada@prorider.or
03-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Lefevere "asks" riders to sue newspaper

Quick-Step Team Manager Patrick Lefevere has asked the thirty riders on his team to sue the newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws, which had accused him of "30 years of doping."

The Belgian announced earlier this month that he was suing the newspaper for €20.5 million, and team doctor Yvan Van Mol is suing for €2 million.

The Het Laatste Nieuws article was based partially on interviews with a rider who is currently with the team, but who remained anonymous. According to Sportwereld.be, Lefevere spoke with his riders over the weekend, and the eight riders currently racing in Paris-Nice agreed.

"I do not require them to do this, I merely ask them to," he said to Sportwereld.be. "But whoever doesn't do it makes themselves suspicious as being the one who spoke to Het Laatste Nieuws. I can assume that no one would be so stupid as to file a complaint against themselves."

He laid this claim out more specifically, according to Sporza.be. He said that if someone does not participate, "then we will know immediately who from our team talked to them. ... The riders are also victims of these doping charges. The article endangers their future."

well something very strange to put to riders up here as i sound it came from the inside the team it selve as it sounds
as he wants to know who talked ,it weird

alll i can say is this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJMLXjutwI0

zeroking17
03-12-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm guessing that more than a few QuikStep riders are wishing right about now that there were a pro cyclists' union that could protect them from these types of strong-arm tactics.

I'll bet there are several completely innocent riders who, as a matter of personal principle, bristle at the thought of having to jump through Lefevere's hoop.

Wayne77
03-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Lefevere's tactic to rat out the guilty party is textbook grade-school strategy. Completely idiotic, simple-minded logic.

Sounds like he's a few burritos short of a combo-plate.

jhcakilmer
03-12-2007, 12:54 PM
I have little respect for Lefevere. Sure I really don't know him, but he rants about everyone else, and then tries to root out a "judas" within his team. It doesn't seem as though he has much repoire with his riders. Basically he good at squeezing sponsors for money and hiring the best riders in the peleton...which just comes back to money.

It seems that with all this ranting he's kind of legitamizing the accuzation. If they're just false tabloids, why not just blow it off as nonsense? Seems as though he's not creating an atmosphere of trust within his team.

But atlease he still has Boonen and Bettini......without them he'd be nothing.

harlond
03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
What would the riders sue the newspaper for? Here's hoping Belgium has laws against barratry and champerty.

Wish Boonen had told him to stuff it.

BBB
03-12-2007, 04:29 PM
They would sue because the implication is that they or at least some of them are doped.

ada@prorider.or
03-12-2007, 04:52 PM
as shaggy said hallo man
i do not know what to do

she caught me ,even she has me on camera
she said it was over
its wasn't me

Wayne77
03-12-2007, 04:59 PM
as shaggy said hallo man
i do not know what to do

she caught me ,even she has me on camera
she said it was over
its wasn't me

Which Shaggy?

ada@prorider.or
03-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Which Shaggy?

this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJMLXjutwI0

harlond
03-12-2007, 06:32 PM
They would sue because the implication is that they or at least some of them are doped.I thought that was probably it, but since that wouldn't be much of a starter in the U.S., I wondered if there was something else. If I were counseling the rider, I'd want to point out that if you weren't named in the article, you can probably look forward to a future in which your name does not appear in every article about Lefevre's lawsuit. Unless you sue the newspaper, in which case you can be certain your name will ever after be associated with doping allegations. But I'm sure Lefevre's has only the riders' best interests at heart.