PDA

View Full Version : Surly Pugsley

CNY rider
03-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Nice review of this beast in the current Riv Reader. Anybody here actually ridden one? Seen one in person? Grant was very enthusiastic about it. It looks like it could be a really good upstate NY winter bike.

And as an aside in the same issue there's a Riv makeover of a Specialized Rockhopper that's the most asinine looking thing I have ever seen. They added a stem that look like it should be supporting a satellite dish, with drop bars perched on top. At some point they've got to look at some of the stuff they're pushing about fit and bars and admit it's ridiculous......

Mud
03-12-2007, 08:23 AM
One of the local bike shops has one built and we all try it. A pair is on our wish list for next season. Suspension without the hassle. :banana:

d_douglas
03-12-2007, 08:48 AM
A friend of mine from the UK raced and won the Itidabike in Alaska (in 2002, I think) - Andrew Heading - he had one that I saw last fall that was pretty awesome, though I don't believe he raced it that year. His was a handmade on by Ribble cycles that was quite similar to the Pugsley - massive handmade rims, etc. It was a bit cobbled together, but nevertheless was a cool machine. I would love to try one of them in snow, but would probably opt to crash quite aften, as it would seem so fun!

PS Andy got wise and stopped racing that race after winning it. Last I heard, however, he was in the Yukon running a 570km running race. Stupid.

Smiley
03-12-2007, 08:48 AM
At some point they've got to look at some of the stuff they're pushing about fit and bars and admit it's ridiculous......

I agree although Grants bikes are designed for the more up-right rider in mind, and this system works well for the client base he seeks. Not what I would prescribe to as a fitter but different strokes......

goonster
03-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Grant was very enthusiastic about it.

I've wanted a Pug since I saw the first prototype on the Surly blog. Rotational inertia has scared me off so far. (What did the Riv Reader say? 17 lbs. for wheels and tires alone? Were they serious about that?) Apparently, in real life, it's not that bad.

I was a little surprised by how much Grant loved it, since the whole Surly "aesthetic" (punk rock, booze, uncouth language) doesn't seem to be up his alley. I guess Grant sees bikes as bikes, and can appreciate a project like this, where folks follow through on the idea of a bike, despite commercial unavailability of things like a bottom bracket, rims, tires etc.

Actually, I thought he almost didn't give it credit enough, since he said that it's possibly not entirely new. Well, as a production bike, I think it is entirely new. Aside from one-off custom jobbies built for Iditabike, have there been any bikes with 4" tires?

And as an aside in the same issue there's a Riv makeover of a Specialized Rockhopper that's the most asinine looking thing I have ever seen. They added a stem that look like it should be supporting a satellite dish, with drop bars perched on top. At some point they've got to look at some of the stuff they're pushing about fit and bars and admit it's ridiculous......

They key word here is makeover. I find GP to be very mindful of a bike's overall aesthetics, but when it comes to making an ill-fitting bike rideable, he'll stop at nothing. I'll agree that this particular Rockhopper was pretty awkward-looking. Dirt drop stems are not everybody's cuppa, but GP spec'ed the '87 MB-1, so if anybody is allowed, he is. Not sure I need to see that in every Riv Reader, but hey, it's thoughtful, readable, real-world bicycle writing, so I'm not complaining.

michael white
03-12-2007, 11:44 AM
If Grant had a time machine, he would go back and swap out every flat bar ever made. I have a real soft spot in my heart for him, cranky as he is.

cpg
03-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Grant came out to MN last winter for the Quality Bicycle Products open house. It was a very cold weekend and he and I went out to it one evening. The QBP folks were putting on Pugsley races out on there property. Grant signed up and did them. After his warm up lap I mentioned to him that one part of the course was a frozen pond. I'm not sure he believed me because he still has a hard time wrapping his head around large bodies of water freezing solid. We tried to get Tom Ritchey to race with Grant but he seemed a little concerned with the cold. Anyway, Grant did quite well. On his race I think he got second or third and the winner was the 2005 Japanese National cross champ. That dude flew but Grant ain't no slouch.

Curt

itsalldark
03-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I saw two of them built up at my lbs, Alberto's in Highland Park, IL. They were very cool !!

Ginger
03-12-2007, 09:37 PM
The gentleman I sold my Yo Eddy to had something to do with the SnowCat rim group. Evidently, they actually have the rims made instead of cobbling them together in the back of the shop...

http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html