PDA

View Full Version : Will this bike ride well?

frenk
03-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a custom frame and I'd like to hear some opinions about the geometry. I already got some positive feedback from frameforums but there have been some small changes and I just want to hear what you people think.

First, the builder knows what is doing, I trust him and I don't think there won't be any problem. What could happen is that the frame does ride a bit different from what I'd like (this not being a problem with the frame, just something different from what I expect).

This geometry allows me to be in a perfect position, i.e. I can set my ideal contact points with a normal seatback seatpost, a 120mm -8deg stem and 0-1cm headset spacers.

I have long legs, short torso and fairly long arms, very good back flexibility. This explains the very short top tube.

This will be a road racing bike, I climb a lot and like to descent fast. Lots of turns and switchbacks here, thus the bike has to be stable (but not handle like a schoolbus -still a race bike). I want to be able to ride without hands while taking off clothes/etc without worrying that the bike goes out of the road; I want to use my energy to go forward, not to control the bike direction.

What I'm a bit concerned is the short top tube thus the short wheelbase: will this result in a nervous handling bike? Also could this setup have a dangerous shoe/tire overlap (I use 175 cranks, euro 45 shoes)?

Opinions are welcome.

soulspinner
03-12-2007, 05:21 AM
I ride a 54 top tube 55 seat tube, 73hta 45mm rake fork and 43 shoes and have a little overlap. It only matters when making parking lot sharp turns or when track standing. It never impacts normal riding and isnt dangerous. Ive even learned to trackstand with the overlap.

dauwhe
03-12-2007, 05:47 AM
Have you discussed your concerns with your framebuilder?

Dave

Ginger
03-12-2007, 06:28 AM
Your frame builder can tell you if you're going to have toe overlap or not. They probably have your shoe size...

I ride a 52/53 seat tube with a 50 top tube and my bike is neither nervous nor dull.

From what I've heard, if you're racing crits or mountain biking (stuff with sudden, sharp turns that you're pedalling through) you might want to be concerned about toe overlap. Most of my road bikes have had it and I don't have a problem with it. You find your foot on the wrong side of the wheel once and you won't do it again.

CNY rider
03-12-2007, 06:47 AM
If you REALLY trust your builder you shouldn't worry what the vast majority of us (and I'm top of this list) say or think. Most of us are totally unqualified to answer but that won't stop a lot of us from commenting. You are likely to get comments that while probably totally untrue start a process of second guessing that can be disruptive to your relationship with the builder and to your ultimate enjoyment of the bike.

Just MHO.

frenk
03-12-2007, 07:24 AM
If you REALLY trust your builder you shouldn't worry what the vast majority of us (and I'm top of this list) say or think. Most of us are totally unqualified to answer but that won't stop a lot of us from commenting. You are likely to get comments that while probably totally untrue start a process of second guessing that can be disruptive to your relationship with the builder and to your ultimate enjoyment of the bike.

Just MHO.
You are right, in fact it's exactly what I thought 5 seconds after hitting the "post" button :)

Ginger
03-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Yeah, but congratulations on getting the custom! I'm sure you'll love it!

obtuse
03-12-2007, 08:33 AM
there's no such thing as "dangerous toe clip overlap" on a race bike. don't worry about it. bikes turn by leaning and toe clip overlap is only a concern when pulling a u turn at 3mph. important maybe on a touring bike or something but not on a race bike.

obtuse

frenk
03-13-2007, 01:46 AM
I just discussed my concerns with the builder. He confirmed what you all said about toe/wheel overlap: it doesn't matter in a race bike.
And about the geometry, he doesn't even consider building a custom frame if the given geometry results in a bike that does not ride well.

Oh, obtuse==the jerk? If that's the case he may know who the builder is :)