PDA

View Full Version : Sock Recommendations?

Chris
03-11-2007, 05:28 PM
I have been using Defeet Air-E-Ators for years and like the sock a lot. I have recently switched to Sidis though and feel like a sock that is slightly thicker would help fill up the shoe a little better. I read about the defeet cush sock and the smartwool socks. I don't have any experience with either though. If anyone has some experience with these or some other sock, the input would be appreciated.

STRETCH
03-11-2007, 05:36 PM
CapoForma socks are the best even though I have come from using the funky Defeet range. Professionals gravitate to the CapoForma Professional Skinlife sock. It's great at wicking as well as eliminating bacteria that makes socks stink. This sock has a traditional 6cm cuff and is available in 12cm also for those taller Italian stallions.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=CATEGORY_VIEW&CATEGORY.ID=17&TFC=TRUE

coylifut
03-11-2007, 05:44 PM
the defeet cush does take up more volume than the aireator. the wooly boolie is the wool equivilent

swoop
03-11-2007, 05:47 PM
capo forma by a bajillion miles.

Chris
03-11-2007, 05:54 PM
are the capoforma socks thicker than the air-e-ators?

regularguy412
03-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I personally like a super thin sock. I've tried several, over the years -- Pearl Izumi, Nike Dri-Fit, et al. Lately, I've found a really cheap sock at, of all places, Wal-Mart. (Shhhh,, don't tell anyone -- I get 'em in the Women's Department). The Women's size 9-11 fits fine. It's really hot and humid around here in summer and no sock that I've tried will keep my feet completely dry. I look for socks with no cotton or natural fibers. The ones I use are 80% nylon, 20% lycra, so even when they are wet, they don't hold water and swell inside your shoe. That helps prevent circulation issues. At $3.74 for 5 pairs, they're a bargain.

MIke in AR

davids
03-11-2007, 06:14 PM
SmartWool Cycling Light socks. Without question. They're like a foot massage. Mmmmmm...

swoop
03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
thick bad. thin and high quality material = good.

manet
03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
pippi

Chris
03-11-2007, 06:26 PM
thick bad. thin and high quaity material = good.

I'm not looking for thick like thorlo or something like that, just a little thicker than the defeets which are basically the thinnest sock I've worn.

Karin Kirk
03-11-2007, 06:32 PM
pippi
Wow - that Euro tall sock trend is getting even taller.
Soon there will be only a tiny gap between the top of the socks and the bottom of the shorts.

I have some woolistic wool cycling socks and they are a smidge thicker than the DeFeets, very comfy, but also too warm for summer use. I have some ultra thin smartwool socks that are not cycling socks, but they are really great for cold weather riding. In the summer, I wear whatever socks match my jersey best. Mostly I dig the flowery socks.

coylifut
03-11-2007, 06:33 PM
maybe i'm the only one hearing you. the cush and wooly boolie are thicker than the aireator and the capo formas. if you are using the standard sidi foot bed, you'd be better served with a specialized, sole or other foot bed to take up the volume and stay with thin socks. if you already are using foot beds, maybe your shoes don't fit quite right.

sbornia
03-11-2007, 06:37 PM
SmartWool Cycling Light socks. Without question. They're like a foot massage. Mmmmmm...

+1

manet
03-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Soon there will be only a tiny gap between the top of the socks and the bottom of the shorts.

weisan will get 20 buckos for ridin deerfield with a kickstand attached...

and now i offer stevep $20 to ride deerfield wearing those puppies _ resplendent.

Chris
03-11-2007, 06:57 PM
maybe i'm the only one hearing you. the cush and wooly boolie are thicker than the aireator and the capo formas. if you are using the standard sidi foot bed, you'd be better served with a specialized, sole or other foot bed to take up the volume and stay with thin socks. if you already are using foot beds, maybe your shoes don't fit quite right.

You're good people Terry. So far I just have the Sidi footbed in. I plan on having a buddy make some orthotics soon. You're probably right about that doing the trick.

Keith A
03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
SmartWool socks...next question

Blastinbob
03-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I have Smartwool and Darn tough (http://darntough.com/backroad-1416.html) . I prefer the Darn Tough.

Ginger
03-11-2007, 10:29 PM

New trend, just out. Those aren't *just* socks, they're knee warmers too! (see the Thank you Swoop thread.)

Tommasini
03-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Myself I have a stock pile of wool blend Giordana and Sidi socks.....the reason for doing so is 2 fold - First when I pull my socks out of the washing machine the wool blend are very nearly dry while the coolmax stuff (including the aereator) are very damp. Secondly, this same observaton comes forth into being relevant on the bike. So first I'll say cotten sucks (for anything athletic related). Now go get something for your feet that is wool blend.

jwprolo
03-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I have the same problem. My sidis are the correct size, but I do need a little bit more of a space filling sock. I wear the air-e-ators with my nike road shoes, and lev-e-tators with my sidis. They are a little thicker.

bironi
03-11-2007, 10:48 PM
It's a very personal preference. I could tell you what saddle I ride, or pedals, shoes, tires, chain lube, etc., but these and more are all preferences of each individual. Trial and error. :beer:

Xyzzy
03-11-2007, 11:40 PM
I have been using Defeet Air-E-Ators for years and like the sock a lot. I have recently switched to Sidis though and feel like a sock that is slightly thicker would help fill up the shoe a little better.I have been emailing Defeet repeatedly asking them to make a Speede Wool-E-Ator. I love wool, and I love the low cut of the Speede.

http://www.defeet.com/products/product.php?a=socks&b=40&c=36

+

http://www.defeet.com/products/product.php?a=socks&b=33&c=78

=

Me happy.

I wear wool year round.

BdaGhisallo
03-12-2007, 03:53 AM
I have been emailing Defeet repeatedly asking them to make a Speede Wool-E-Ator. I love wool, and I love the low cut of the Speede.

If you can handle pink then this is your lucky day - assuming you don't need anything larger than medium though!

http://www.defeet.com/products/product.php?a=socks&b=40&c=38

You could always do a custom run with them. You'll need to order 12 dozen pairs though! You might be able to talk them down in quantity if you don't want anything special. On the upside, I think custom socks can start as low as $5 per pair.

Check it out.

sspielman
03-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Nalini Coolmax. Sometimes hard to find, but worth the effort.

Ozz
03-12-2007, 07:16 AM
I picked up a couple pairs of Smartwool Cycling light 3/4 crew for riding this winter...man, nice socks, I am very impressed. They are my new favorites.

For summer, I have a some Assos Silver socks. They are OK. Better than the old Pearl Izumi I used to wear. Sounds like I need to try the Capo Forma this summer.

gt6267a
03-12-2007, 07:26 AM
at a hiking store closeout sale, i purchased smartwool sock liners. these things make fan-mother-fing-tastic cycling socks. super thin, feel great, and look sexy. er, at least i think they do.

for the OP, at the same sale i also picked up some smarwool ankle high deals that sound just like what you want. a little thicker than defeet but not hiking sock thick. if you go to a hiking shop, not biking, check out the wall of smartwool and you'll find a number of options.

Xyzzy
03-12-2007, 07:50 AM
If you can handle pink then this is your lucky day - assuming you don't need anything larger than medium though!

http://www.defeet.com/products/product.php?a=socks&b=40&c=38

You could always do a custom run with them. You'll need to order 12 dozen pairs though! You might be able to talk them down in quantity if you don't want anything special.Yeah, the guy I have been emailing mentioned the "T-Mobile-ish" socks. I was going to try to dye them black but my luck with dye hasn't been so good. You'd think there would be demand for a black version. I know I'd buy half a dozen.

deechee
03-12-2007, 08:04 AM
superthin ultimax socks that come in packs of two or three. I use 'em for cycling and running :)

catulle
03-12-2007, 08:07 AM
I know the audience here is one of sophisticated pros with expensive taste; however, I've noticed that in terms of socks and shorts and the like sometimes lowly brands such as Cannondale, Nike, et al. have some nicely performing stuff to offer, atmo.

jemoryl
03-12-2007, 08:12 AM
I know the audience here is one of sophisticated pros with expensive taste; however, I've noticed that in terms of socks and shorts and the like sometimes lowly brands such as Cannondale, Nike, et al. have some nicely performing stuff to offer, atmo.

If Cannondale, Nike, et.al. are lowly brands in the sock pantheon then what does that make the ones I use from Target, et. al. ?

Custom socks. Who would have thunk it?

Keith A
03-12-2007, 09:06 AM
I picked up a couple pairs of Smartwool Cycling light 3/4 crew for riding this winter...man, nice socks, I am very impressed. They are my new favorites.

For summer, I have a some Assos Silver socks. They are OK. Better than the old Pearl Izumi I used to wear. Sounds like I need to try the Capo Forma this summer.FYI, the SmartWool socks are great for summer too! I live in sunny FL, so we get plenty of heat during the summer time, but I find my feet more than comfortable in my SmartWool socks all year long. Their cycling specific socks are available with more or less padding, which some people might like better for the summer.

I'm personally using their Cycling LT Mini-Crew which is described as "This mini crew offers up a bit more support with its light half cushion sole, which covers all the way up to the achilles area. Featuring our SmartFIT System, a 1x1 rib cuff and a flat-knit toe seam, this sock stays in place as you bike to work or as you race your co-workers during an afternoon ride."

djg
03-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Try a pair. I have a couple of pairs of the defeet cush socks and they may be what you're looking for. While not terribly thick (certainly not like the regular thor-lo, although you might like the thinnest version of thor-lo's lightweight running sock), they do offer a bit more volume and padding than the aer-e-ators (sp?). They're often on sale, which means that if you can find what you want locally, this is the cheapest darn experiment you can perform. Try some for a couple of rides and see what you think.

The suggestion that you try a different insole, if not already happy with your insole, is sensible too. Sidi make nice shoes, and seem to make several different grades of insole, ranging from not-that-good to ridiculously terrible.

Geoff
03-12-2007, 03:27 PM
I love the Woolistic socks. Thiner than the Smartwool cycling socks, atmo.

Although they have been out of socks fro some time. Last summer he emailed me saying they were to be more before the end of the year. I guess he Is Not My Friend like our other friend. Outisde of these I wear smartwools. Anything else makes my alredy unsightly feet rather unapprochable.

G

davids
03-12-2007, 04:30 PM
It's a very personal preference. I could tell you what saddle I ride, or pedals, shoes, tires, chain lube, etc., but these and more are all preferences of each individual. Trial and error. :beer:
No. SmartWool are the best.

;)