PDA

View Full Version : I need some Cannondale value knowledge...help

rePhil
03-11-2007, 07:02 AM
My non cycling neighbor buddy runs into the strangest deals. This time it's a l Cannondale Caad 3 with the Silk Road headshock. Can anyone help with the value? Is the headshock desirable?
It looks brand new. I know who the original owner is and I believe it was ridden for less than 50 miles, hung up and has been sitting since. Full Ultegra 9 speed, STI's, CXP 21's. Plus some old fashioned clip pedals.
Thanks for any help.

Z3c
03-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Hello,

I would estimate that this bike would bring around $750-800 on Ebay. The Silk Road is unique in that it is a road bike with front suspension that can be locked-out on the fly. Great if you ride on really rough roads but you will need to lock it out every time you want to stand up.. Overall, it is ok for a certain niche but that niche is not general road riding..

Hope I helped!

Scott

TimD
03-11-2007, 05:38 PM
CAD 3 (N.B.: One 'A') + Time Equipe threaded carbon fork + D-A headset + threadless adapter + D-A BB: $75. on eBay.

Just add parts.

michael white
03-11-2007, 05:57 PM
don't write off the silk road suspension; some people love that thing, really. . . a friend of mine leaves his "on" all the time, and that guy can ride, too.

rwsaunders
03-11-2007, 06:31 PM
I posted mine on Craigslist last year and after 6 calls, I sold the bike for $650. The bike had about 7,500 mi on it with a mix of Ultegra and 105, and some funky Cdale gold anodized hubs. The shock actually works when engaged, but the rear end of the bike was rather firm. I think that the upper end (Silk Road 1000) bikes were in the $1,300 range in their prime.

You'll have a bit of a time finding stems, as the design was limited to CDale and a few after market providers. I never ran into maintenance issues with the shock; the later years used a carbon fork/shock combo.

I still have the hybrid version that I use for the rails/trails with the kids. I also might have an old photo and Headshok info if that would be of help. They continued to sell in Europe after being pulled from the US market. Check the Cdale website archive for old photos and specs.

rePhil
03-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I didn't have time to get the whole story until today. My neighbor barters some of his work.(he does high end remodeling and home improvement).
The bikes, 1 road, 1 MTB, were bought and basically hung up unridden.He is keeping the MTB for a son, and was thinking about keeping the road for himself but since it's too small he thought about e bay. He must be getting the short end because he said he is returning the Road and will let the owner deal with it. It will probably just turn back into garage art.