PDA

View Full Version : website speed

eddief
03-10-2007, 09:24 PM
i visit this site often. lately the response time to opening threads from my computer is quite slow. is it just here or do others have the same response?

vaxn8r
03-10-2007, 09:31 PM
i visit this site often. lately the response time to opening threads from my computer is quite slow. is it just here or do others have the same response?
Just here apparently.

AgilisMerlin
03-10-2007, 09:35 PM
just imagine all the signals the server is getting

pushing pages
recieving request for page changes
uploading pictures
searches etc............etc etc

the longest lagtimes is when someone is posting to the server, and you are trying to refresh, or log in, or trying to open a thread.

Precedance from the server by request is from first come first serve. I think

You are waiting for it to catch up, as you are a couple request down the line.

enough people here to clog the pipeline/highway

the computer system at work does this when either we run reports in the back, or request an action/search/ or posting while a register is closing out a ticket.

sometimes fast, and sometimes slow

just a thought, could be wrong

hopefully you are not on dial up

amerliN

manet
03-10-2007, 09:35 PM
eddief it's weird slow over here at times

Sandy
03-11-2007, 03:22 AM
I found it very slow to simply post a response to your post. I sometimes simply close what I am trying to read and start all over again. The Serotta website/message board is normally the only website at which I encounter the problem.

Slooooooooooooow Sandy

rePhil
03-11-2007, 06:36 AM
Lately it just seems slow.

Kevin
03-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Slow, but so am I.

Kevin

Xyzzy
03-11-2007, 07:51 AM
I run a vBulletin board that is nowhere close to the size of this one. It is on very good hardware, too.

I've turned off all the "eye candy" to reduce database queries.

There are 3 things that affect performance the most:

1) Editing posts. This causes the server to remove the post from the search index, and then re-add it.

2) Searches. I actually deleted my search index and now do only the built-in MySQL natural language search queries. I also limit guest searches with a Captcha image and limit member searches to one every minute.

3) Search engine spidering. I have a very restrictive robots.txt file. If you don't monitor this, you can get 100-300 spiders crawling through the forum doing all sorts of things.

If you are into math, check out my forum:

http://www.mersenneforum.org/

Everything is run from a $17 a month connection.

A little fine tuning could really speed things up here I bet. (There are maybe 50 other things you can do to speed things up. Every little bit helps.)

Edit1: I totally restricted my robots.txt file a few days ago, yet 60+ of the guests shown below are spiders. They are very tenacious and they eat up bandwidth and database queries like you can't imagine. It is like a leaking boat. Once you fix one hole another pops up. Or is that Whack-A-Mole? I can't remember.

Edit2: My goal is five 9s:

http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics.php?Id=27853&&UserId=42211

It ain't gonna happen anytime soon.