PDA

View Full Version : Fender sizing...

Kevan
03-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Question:

I'm using an old frame (Bridgestone 400) which is now sporting a 700c wheelset with 32cm panaracers installed. There seems to be loads of room to install fenders, passing under the brakes, is it as simple as measuring the space between the brake arms with them closed against the rim, in braking position? What about depth measurement? I see 35mm to 45mm mentioned as width options and 16mm to 20mm for depth.

I'm not too sure yet whether I'll opt for a set of plastic or aluminium. FYI, the dropouts on this bike have eyelets and there is a chainstay support w/ hole.

Thanks. Bikes with this much rubber need fenders.

dbrk
03-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Usually we match fender size to the proposed tire size. It sounds like this Bstone can take any number of fender sizes from the 35-43mm range. I would choose my tires first. If you never plan on running more than your 28c, like a RuffyTuffy, then I'd pick a 35mm-40mm fender (Honjo or Berthoud); if I were thinking a 29.4mm Gran Bois or a 32-35c Avocet (nice! but for being all black...), then I'd use a 43mm fender. Fender lines and tire lines make even a "beater" look really swell.

dbrk

Kevan
03-10-2007, 07:42 PM
As mentioned, I'm just getting my beater rolling, I installed a pair of Panaracer Pansela 32's on a set of 700c rims. The frame was built for 27" and has gobs of room. Added clarification: I'm still toying a bit with the brakes. Right now the bike has the original "Bridgestone" sidepulls, which quite frankly are pieces of garbage. I'm in the process of rectifying that problem and then will pursue the fenders after my ability to stop has improved.

This bike will remain a process of evolution which will include upgrades up to and including the frame itself. All in good time and education…

Thanks for your insight.

Ginger
03-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Right now the bike has the original "Bridgestone" sidepulls, which quite frankly are pieces of garbage.
Yes...but I bet if you put them on ebay someone would buy them for a restoration project. :)

pdxmech13
03-10-2007, 08:23 PM
get these, however i believe they offer a lower cost alternative and then do what dbrk mentioned.

Kevan
03-10-2007, 09:25 PM
center mount brakes were what I was thinking. Pauls would be nice, but pricey. I'm looking into alternatives unless folks think that a center pull is a bad direction for a brake. Eh?

I'm aware of the Shimano long reach and will consider them after I've played out the center pull idea.

Thanks to all for your much appreciated input.

eBay huh?

palincss
03-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Usually we match fender size to the proposed tire size. It sounds like this Bstone can take any number of fender sizes from the 35-43mm range. I would choose my tires first. If you never plan on running more than your 28c, like a RuffyTuffy, then I'd pick a 35mm-40mm fender (Honjo or Berthoud); if I were thinking a 29.4mm Gran Bois or a 32-35c Avocet (nice! but for being all black...), then I'd use a 43mm fender. Fender lines and tire lines make even a "beater" look really swell.

dbrk

With nice looking tires and gorgeous fenders like Honjos, what had been "beat to crap" areas on that bike suddenly start looking like "patina".

:)

palincss
03-11-2007, 07:32 AM
get these, however i believe they offer a lower cost alternative and then do what dbrk mentioned.

Those Shimano Ultegra-level "long reach" brakes are more expensive, have less reach, and open less wide than the Tektro 556's. And, they crowd a fender a good deal more.

As for center-pull brakes, yes at one time all "good" bikes came with them. Their performance is still excellent.

dauwhe
03-11-2007, 08:35 AM
center mount brakes were what I was thinking. Pauls would be nice, but pricey. I'm looking into alternatives unless folks think that a center pull is a bad direction for a brake. Eh?

I'm aware of the Shimano long reach and will consider them after I've played out the center pull idea.

Thanks to all for your much appreciated input.

eBay huh?

I'm a big fan of the Paul Centerpulls. Best brake I've used--I didn't understand the term "modulation" until I used them. I didn't much like the Diacompe 750 Centerpulls, but that certainly could have been operator error (as in bad set-up). Haven't tried the new Silver extra-long-reach sidepulls, but they look great...

Dave