PDA

View Full Version : Bikes that "speak" to you...

SoCalSteve
03-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi all,

I've been thinking a lot about this subject all winter long and have come to some conclusions...

First off, we need to first define what "speaks" to you means:

To me (and your results may vary) it means that for whatever reason (paint scheme, certain geometry, history, ride qualities, whatever) you get excited about riding these bikes. The bikes just "speak" to you and make you want to ride them (if you think I'm crazy, you can stop reading now and have me committed)...I guess it also means that these are the bikes that are "keepers".

Historically, my Hors Categorie (only 600 ever made) my Trek Y-Foil (only made 2 years) and my Colnago Carbonissimo ( I believe in its short run, only a very few hundred were ever made). This is not to say that I do not enjoy riding these bikes, I do very much...The history is just a big part of why I love them.

Geometry and ride: My Kirk Terraplane and my Moots Vamoots (they both have very similar geometry).

The bikes that I still have in my stable that DO NOT "speak" to me (for whatever reason) are my Serotta CSI (still hanging in the garage unbuilt) and my Pegoretti Big Leg Emma (I know all of you now REALLY think I should be committed)....I cannot tell you why they dont, they just dont (no matter how much I have tried to like them).

What bikes do you have in your stable that "speak" to you? Which bikes don't? And what will you do with the ones that don't?

Thanks for reading (and not having me committed),

Steve

PS: I think when tax season is over and it gets a bit warmer, I will put the 2 bikes that dont "speak" to me on here or ebay and sell them. I will use the money to purchase a new custom Ottrott ST and F3 fork. My old Ottrott spoke to me, it just had weird geometry and I want something closer to my Moots and Kirk (geo wise).

manet
03-10-2007, 06:08 PM
the 2 bikes that speak to me of your's are the 2 that don't speak 2 u

SoCalSteve
03-10-2007, 06:14 PM
the 2 bikes that speak to me of your's are the 2 that don't speak 2 u

Thats why they dont paint all bikes green...

Oh, btw, they are for sale.

Steve

AgilisMerlin
03-10-2007, 06:24 PM
My Agilis speaks to me everytime I swing the leg over it.

It is monotonous drivel...............always the same........"

"follow the yellow brick road"

this has had me stumped since the fall of the year 2002

:confused:

amerliN

manet
03-10-2007, 06:32 PM
.Thats why they dont paint all bikes green...

Oh, btw, they are for sale.

Steve

Smiley
03-10-2007, 06:36 PM
My Hors sings to me baby :banana:

catulle
03-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Mr. Ed.

pale scotsman
03-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I just spent an hour cleaning my baby up, trying a double wrap and deciding against it, oh and not to mention donating blood to the mosquitos. It speaks smoooth.

swoop
03-10-2007, 06:50 PM
something screamed "assless chaps'" to me just now. it might have been one of my bikes. so.. from my bike to you.. enjoy (outside nahbs):

rePhil
03-10-2007, 06:52 PM
It's a tie between my Moots and Strong.

Len J
03-10-2007, 06:56 PM
something screamed "assless chaps'" to me just now. it might have been one of my bikes. so.. from my bike to you.. enjoy (outside nahbs):

pegoRichie?

Len

merckx
03-10-2007, 07:01 PM
My Peg Marcelo whispers in my ear.
My Merckx MXL talks dirty to me.
A former six 13 never said a word.
A former Merckx MXM was deaf.

michael white
03-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Marcelo whispers in my ear,
Merckx MXL talks dirty.
A six 13 never said a word,
Merckx MXM was deaf.

This line editing makes it a ballad stanza (quatrain of alternate tetrameter with trimeter). good for a poem or song in most folk or blues genres.

However, with a little work, I'm sure we could get it to rhyme.

Nice.

Tom
03-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Somebody should tell those guys that its time for new shorts.

Ken Robb
03-10-2007, 07:15 PM
my bikes all speak to me. They say "Is that all you've got in those noodly legs?"

FATBOY
03-10-2007, 08:01 PM
my bikes all speak to me. They say "Is that all you've got in those noodly legs?"

I remember way back when, when I was a bronzed god of a dude turning cranks into dust beneath his mighty thighs. Oh. Wait a minute. No that was not me. No, I agree with the above quote entirely. Damn! My Specialized Epic Marathon tells to move where there is no snow. My commuter tells me I drive too much. The single speed keeps telling me I need a triple.

pdxmech13
03-10-2007, 08:19 PM
lately both my bikes speak pain for my otta shape arse.

I can't wait till they feel fast and rite again. :beer: :beer:

Bauch
03-10-2007, 11:32 PM

Archibald
03-10-2007, 11:51 PM
:banana:
Why is that bike blue?

And *** is up with those bottle cages?

I can forgive you for that bike being blue but I will heckle you long and hard for *those* cages being on *that* bike. Fix that most rikky-tik!

Bauch
03-11-2007, 12:03 AM

learlove
03-11-2007, 12:05 AM
For me:

1. traditional geo, lugged steel, no frills racing bikes
2. my 1988 cannondale w/ suntour sprint - won my frist race(s) on that bike - instant acceleration - my most favored quality
3. my 1990 cannondale 3.0 w/ dura ace - instant acceleration
4. Merckx MXL - can't wait to build mine up.
5. Merckx Team SC

Archibald
03-11-2007, 12:38 AM
*** is wrong with "those" cages?
They're spinners on an '64 E-type Jaguar.

A belly shirt on Rosey O'Donnell.

Hiphuggers on Rosanne Barr.

Emo pants on John Wayne.

Those frikken' cages on a Richard Sachs bicycle.

They don't *go* together, man, they just don't *go* together. What's next? A Thomson riser stem? It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. Just fix it and post new pics.

bostondrunk
03-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Hi all,

I've been thinking a lot about this subject all winter long and have come to some conclusions...

Man, if you have that much free time on your hands, why not go volunteer at the local animal shelter or something..... :rolleyes:

SoCalSteve
03-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Man, if you have that much free time on your hands, why not go volunteer at the local animal shelter or something..... :rolleyes:

How about volunteering as a cycling coach for the Team In Training? I've done that for a few seasons now. The Luekemia and Lymphoma Society is a pretty worthy cause, wouldnt you say?

bigbill
03-11-2007, 02:58 AM
I love my Pegoretti Fina, it feels like a good riding companion, it doesn't say much, it is just always there.

If my Gunnar commuter could speak to me it would say things like:
"are your sure this is paved?"
"I know I was blue when I left the factory, what is up with this muddy color"
"Don't let the other bikes see me with fenders"
"What is that dinging noise??? Don't tell me it is a compass too"
"You have a Garmin? You live on an island, moron"
"Panniers? I was built to race"

cs124
03-11-2007, 05:01 AM
Cecil Walker custom 531 says "Hey what'll it be? The usual?"
Cervelo Prodigy said "Relax, I'm a professional."
Bianchi XL Carbon says "C'mon, harder, faster, oooh yeah!"
The Altec2 sweatshop special said "Sure thing" and just got on with the f'n job.

But to answer Steve's post, only the Cecil Walker holds any sentiment for me, and that's because it was a 21st birthday present from my folks.

dbrk
03-11-2007, 06:17 AM
Some bikes speak, others sing; a few are like Zen masters and sit silently. Every bike has it's own voice and sometimes it's the builder, so it's like going for a ride with Curt, DK, Grant, DP, or Richie. Yesterday my Mercian KOM told me that it was going to be a long April in these here hills until I find my lungs again. This bike speaks in a civil East Midlands accent, quite charming really. And it's 1" top tube, baked enamel paint, and other unselfconscious no-slave-to-fashion-is-just-another-fashion anachronisms point to everything I love most in bicycles.

Many of my favorite bikes mutter profanities in French, a few sing in Italian (I often sing Cosi fan Tutti while riding a Pegoretti..."Ah, poverini, per femmina giocar cento zecchini?..."), and some of my real favorites speak Japanese though I just listen and try my best to thank them (domo arigato).

Moving on to the voices in my head...honestly, I think if I lived where it was really warm year'round, say, were SoCal or my good pal Ken Robb live, I'd likely burn out completely. The only thing keeping me from riding to death like some neurotic hamster on its treadmill is the weather. I would never write (which I actually do for a living), I'd certainly neglect work (I love my work), and either be preparing to ride, riding, or recovering. I'm lucky enough to have the sort of job that mostly lets me work around riding (rather than ride around the constraints of work), but if it were a breezy 60 degrees on the cold days of the year? While my cycling related chronic stress injuries (feet) would be even worse, my carpel tunnel syndrome might heal and yet I'd be a rarer presence with my friends on this Forum...Smanie implacabili.

dbrk

saab2000
03-11-2007, 07:03 AM
My Colorado III (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=18090&highlight=Colorado+III) says ride all day.

My Look (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=22166&highlight=kg381i) says race.

My Merckx (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7543&page=1&pp=15&highlight=Merckx+majestic) says race too, but only on smooth roads with no climbing.

My blue Croll (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=19909&highlight=grand+rapids) ridden in Grand Rapids yesterday says climb a mountain pass. This bike is not a great one by any means, but some how puts me in the best climbing position of any of my bikes.

My red Croll (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=20657&highlight=croll) says ride all day around Lake Winnebago or towards Hortonville.

My Grandis (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26234&highlight=grandis) says ride me in centuries and drop those who make fun of toe clips.

The bike whisperer.

I don't deal with people with bike problems. I deal with bikes with people problems.

PS - no I am not the bike whisperer. Just hungover. Plenty of time laying around feeling nauseous and just playing with the computer. That's why all the links kids...... :no:

swoop
03-11-2007, 08:20 AM
when i grow up i wanna be like socal steve. i kid you not... he's one of the good one's.

SoCalSteve
03-11-2007, 08:56 AM
when i grow up i wanna be like socal steve. i kid you not... he's one of the good one's.

Thank you so very much! Coming from you that means a lot! I kid you not too...I respect all your writings, even the weird postings.

Steve

PS: We need to meet on the bridge one day and go for a slow ride up the coast and just "chat".

Sandy
03-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Bikes that "speak" to you do so in silence. You and the bike are as a single unit. There is perfect harmony between your communication and the bike's movement. This is done in silence. It just happens. Without awareness.

A bike that doesn't "speak" to you is not silent. It is too loud, as you often notice what it lacks.

Silently Speaking Serotta Sandy

learlove
03-11-2007, 10:22 AM
my bikes tell me I'm too fat....

darn youngins, always talkin back to their elders...

Sandy
03-11-2007, 10:30 AM
my bikes tell me I'm too fat....

darn youngins, always talkin back to their elders...

My bike doesn't have to tell me that. I tell myself that every day. :crap:

Sandy

FierteTi52
03-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I just returned from a ride on my 2003 Fierte Ti. This bike was bought in 2003 brand new, and is like a good friend. The bike fits great, handles great and is the perfect stiffness for my needs. I haven't had the Kirk out as the roads are wet and salty from winter, but I feel the same way about my Kirk. It's just perfect. I had a 2004 Ottrott built for me and we never got along. The bike has since been sold and has a new home. Go figure?
Jeff

michael white
03-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I like my bikes too, though there are one or two I wish I still had. . .

my question is: suppose this were a gun enthusiast site, for instance, and you happened upon it, and everyone was talking about how their guns spoke to them, or didn't speak, or told them they were fat or whatnot. What would you think?
just wonderin' . . .

Ti-Boy
03-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I have not seen either in person, but have an irrationally strong desire for: Pinarello Dogma and an IF xs. They seem to be yelling at me.

palincss
03-11-2007, 05:54 PM
My old Ottrott spoke to me, it just had weird geometry and I want something closer to my Moots and Kirk (geo wise).

How do you end up with an Ottrott with weird geometry?

merckx
03-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I like my bikes too, though there are one or two I wish I still had. . .

my question is: suppose this were a gun enthusiast site, for instance, and you happened upon it, and everyone was talking about how their guns spoke to them, or didn't speak, or told them they were fat or whatnot. What would you think?
just wonderin' . . .

Colt whispers in my ear,
Winchester talks dirty,
A Crossman never said a word,
Daisy was deaf.

SoCalSteve
03-11-2007, 06:58 PM
How do you end up with an Ottrott with weird geometry?

One came up in (what I thought was my size and geometry) on the second hand market (before I knew better about what geomtry I really like) Bought it, built it, rode it, liked it, didnt LOVE it, sold it....Now I want one that is custom made for me with the geometry that I know works well.

Then it will "shout" for me to ride it!

As soon as the Peg sells, I'll order it.

saab2000
03-11-2007, 07:37 PM
What don't you like about the Peg? Just curious. I don't own one, but am definitely intrigued. I remember when you got it and you were quite excited.

What is it that doesn't do it for you?

That's not a loaded question at all. Just curious.

SoCalSteve
03-11-2007, 08:06 PM
What don't you like about the Peg? Just curious. I don't own one, but am definitely intrigued. I remember when you got it and you were quite excited.

What is it that doesn't do it for you?

That's not a loaded question at all. Just curious.

I totally understand.

Honestly, I cannot quantify what it is about the bike that does not "speak" to me.

Its beautifully crafted. Geometry is spot on. Beautiful paint scheme...

I just dont know why its not a bike I get excited about riding. I wish I had a better answer.

Steve

Climb01742
03-12-2007, 03:54 AM
I totally understand.

Honestly, I cannot quantify what it is about the bike that does not "speak" to me.

Its beautifully crafted. Geometry is spot on. Beautiful paint scheme...

I just dont know why its not a bike I get excited about riding. I wish I had a better answer.

Steve

yeah, that's the funny thing about bikes. all the pieces can be good/right yet somehow the total just doesn't quite sing for us. objectively my 2nd ottrott was like that. it was 90-95% "right" but somehow, something was missing. but at moments like that (speaking for myself here) what's at work isn't the bike but my expectations. i'm expecting or hoping for something magical or amazing or wow-inducing. that's tough for most bikes to live up to.

sspielman
03-12-2007, 05:55 AM
pegoRichie?

Len

uhhhh...your frame has just been "delayed at the painter's" for that remark....

Len J
03-12-2007, 12:02 PM
uhhhh...your frame has just been "delayed at the painter's" for that remark....

There is a fine line.......& I thought ATMO was on my side of it........oh well what's another 47 months?
LOL

Len

merckx
11-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Marcelo whispers in my ear,
Merckx MXL talks dirty.
A six 13 never said a word,
Merckx MXM was deaf.

This line editing makes it a ballad stanza (auatrain of alternate tetrameter with trimeter). good for a poem or song in most folk or blues genres.

However, with a little work, I'm sure we could get it to rhyme.

Nice.

Marcelo whispers in my ear
MXL is my dear.
Six 13 never said a word
MXM was a turd

Fixed
11-15-2007, 08:14 AM
everything speaks bro it's just we have a hard time hearing
imho
cheers

DarrenCT
11-15-2007, 08:15 AM
everything speaks bro it's just we have a hard time hearing
imho
cheers

+1

fixed gets it.

Ti Designs
11-15-2007, 10:08 AM
My bike and I aren't on speaking terms.

michael white
11-15-2007, 11:15 AM
quote:

"Marcelo whispers in my ear
MXL is my dear.
Six 13 never said a word
MXM was a turd"
--Merckx

you get an "A" for that,
also, now you don't have to worry about what to put on your tombstone!

Fat Robert
11-15-2007, 01:11 PM
my rock lobster and pacenti say:

just turn the dang pedals, we got the rest under control --

which is pretty much what i want them to say

cool by me

sg8357
11-15-2007, 01:44 PM
The Crescent, says "I look so much classier with my Berthoud bag"
The Trek says, "See, I can behave nice, once you took those heavy panniers off"

The Atlantis left me in Rheims, I guess she didn't want to leave France.

J.Greene
11-15-2007, 01:47 PM
The speedvagen cross rig is one of the few bikes that have gotten my interest as of late. I still pine for a Sachs cross rig.

JG

Fixed
11-15-2007, 02:06 PM
old bikes have tales new one ask a lot of questions
imho cheers

Flat Out
11-15-2007, 02:16 PM
My C50 keeps screaming, "Andare pił veloce!"

Whatever that means.

zank
11-15-2007, 04:08 PM
The only thing my bike says is...

"I'll go faster if you train harder. And don't eat that."

maunahaole
11-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Mine speaks flemish.

Flemish is unintelligible, but by its tone I know it is mocking me for my unworthiness.

old_school
11-15-2007, 04:20 PM
My bike tells me I spent way too much money on ultra light, overly fragile, finicky components that work no better than their less costly, more durable counterparts and offer no practical advantage to one who rides solely for pleasure. Paradigm shift ... I don't know ... I used to look at high end gear and get excited, now I look at my bike and feel ashamed. I am sure it is symbolic of something bigger going on in my head; nevertheless, expect some bargains in the spring.

TMB
11-15-2007, 04:30 PM
My bike tells me I spent way too much money on ultra light, overly fragile, finicky components that work no better than their less costly, more durable counterparts and offer no practical advantage to one who rides solely for pleasure. Paradigm shift ... I don't know ... I used to look at high end gear and get excited, now I look at my bike and feel ashamed. I am sure it is symbolic of something bigger going on in my head; nevertheless, expect some bargains in the spring.

+1
+1
+1

rwsaunders
11-15-2007, 04:50 PM
My bike says "sticks and stones may chip my paint, just polish my Ti with Pledge wipes".

Fixed
11-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Mine speaks flemish.

Flemish is unintelligible, but by its tone I know it is mocking me for my unworthiness.
mine says drink abby ale drink abby ale i say yes master
cheers