PDA

View Full Version : A day of perfection (Thanks Tom Byrnes)

weisan
05-28-2004, 10:00 AM
In the spirit of Frank thanking Ken Robb for their ride in San Diego, I also want to thank a very special person here at our forum.

I had the privilege a couple of months ago to enjoy paradise when I was at LA attending a conference. It was our dear friend Tom Byrnes who had graciously loaned me his "wonderbike", the Serotta Ottrott ST. I took the bike out and rode for a solid six hours under perfect weather, going through the bike paths on the beaches and doing a fair bit of climbing up Palos Verdes mountain and Hawthorne Blvd. What a glorious day it was, just me, the road and the bike. It was PERFECTO!!! It's a shame that Tom couldn't join me. But I owe it all to you, Tom. And I apologise for the delay in my public acknowledgement.

The Ottrott climbs effortlessly whenever the road turns up. It shoots down Hawthorne at high speed (>45 mph, I am guessing) for more than three miles and yet maintains great stability. It's everything my Legend would do PLUS absorbing more of the road vibrations that gives it a cushy ride but not a noodle by any means.

This is the route that I took. To and back, I think it's about 80+ miles (again, no computer, I am guessing, judging by my effort and total time of riding)

The most wonderful part is, I got in another bonus ride the next morning with Tom and his buddies, doing a fairly fast morning ride to the beach and back. Boy, it was the MOST satisfying two days of riding I have done for a long time. The scenery is excellent, with awesome views of the ocean and huge drop-offs. I am not going to forget this.

http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/LA_bike_route.gif

Too Tall
05-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Awesome route...and a fav. when I visit my bro in Hermosa. Does anyone there actually work?

jeffg
05-28-2004, 11:25 AM
My mom still lives in Palos Verdes. I love the route going up and down PV Drive East. One of the few routes around with some longer climbs and switchbacks. Overall, it is a great place to ride but I want to hit Mulholland Highway someday soon :banana: :banana: :banana:

Tom Byrnes
05-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Weisan -Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you and pointing you toward the beach. I know how being by the ocean affects me and I love to introduce people to the beauty of the So Cal beaches, especially my pals from landlocked places. I'm glad that you enjoyed your long ride and wish I could have joined you.

The Ottrott St is an amazing bike. For the past three months, I have been riding my 1979 Sachs and Serotta CSi with more frequency, and had stopped riding my Ottrott. Well, I rode it last Sunday and . . . . , the ride of my Ottrott is unmatched. :) :) :)

Too Tall - I have lived in L.A. for more than 26 years and am still continually amazed that so many people seem to be "out and about" in the middle of day during the week. My hat is off to them.

Jeffg - I love riding on Mulholland Drive. Lots of undulating miles along the top of the hills separating the San Fernando Valley and the Los Angeles Basin. Great views. Drop me a line when you get out here and want to do that ride.

SoCalSteve
06-11-2005, 04:03 PM
I too ride Palos Verdes often and train my participants there all the time. Beautiful scenery, great climbs and even better descents!

I've ridden many places, but there is no place like the South Bay and PV!

Steve

slowgoing
06-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Weisan - The bike path route you took is 22 1/2 miles long each way. I know because I still do a fair amount of skating in my five wheelers when my achilles isn't acting up, and I'll do the 45 mile round trip a few times each year. So if you add on the length of the PV route, that should tell you how long the entire trip was. Anyway, it always seems longer because of the beautiful scenery. It's hard to beat living in the South Bay.